Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016, Mod Warning in OP, 10/7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Markovic was a big money signing, a highly rated youngster outside of Liverpool, he's also the only winger we've got that isn't Jordon Ibe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Apart from Sergi Canos and Sheyi Ojo - both seniors now ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

murpho999 wrote: »
    It's the same people who think that Pacheco, Shelvey and Suso were not given a fair chance at the club.

Or those who wrote him off after a few months like Lallana or hell, even Lovren. I've moaned about Lallana but I think he has shown enough to justify a squad place anyway.

I'd kind of forgotten about him but Coutinho, Lallana, Firmino, Milner and Goetze if we sign him, hard to see where he fits. Markovic gives us 6 options there which is a lot, and that's me forgetting Ibe as well.

Bogdan, Illori, Alberto, maybe a couple of the young lads surplus to requirements will probably be gone. Which old stagers like Skrtel, Lucas or Allen go and the more recent Rodgers buys will be telling.

Skrtel, Moreno and Benteke are hard to make a case of keeping them at this stage.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Apart from Sergi Canos and Sheyi Ojo - both seniors now ;)

Would've considered Ojo a striker/inside forward.

Speaking of youths, what have we done with Ryan Kent?

Playing U21s, imagine he'll go out on tour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Ive watched Chilwell in the 1st half during u21 toulon game. Not sure what we see in him tbh. I hope we get Hector instead.

Why are these tournaments played on such ****ty pitches?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Oranage2 wrote: »
    What's the difference between Stevie G and James Vardy?

Vardy is slightly taller

Whats the difference between Oranage and an Orange?

Orange's aren't bitter.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Its a factual statement. Rodgers had you in a better place this time last year with European football. No one remembers the runners up. Rodgers IMO could have done as well as Klopp is he was given some time.
    It may not be his team but it's a stronger team than both West Ham and Southampton who he failed to overcome

Your arguments remind me of how I used to argue when I was about 10 or 11. Not a slight on you, just an observation.
    My question is, do you realise that these two posts that you posted within minutes of eachother contradict eachother? I'm merely trying to decipher if you are stupid or just pretending to be stupid to get a reaction.....I can't abide the latter. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

So i've come around to the thinking that we need to upgrade at lb. But I still don't want Moreno sold. He's useful against teams that park the bus and with a more settled cb partnership and keeper his very evident flaws might not get exposed as much. I still think the overlapping option he offers can be a huge asset as a squad player. Its not like he's on huge wages either. His role in the Sturridge goal can't be underplayed imo, his run creates the space that the cb couldn't get across to cover after the rb had to slide across due to Morenos run. Of course his role in two of their goals also cannot be understated either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

K-9 wrote: »
    I'd kind of forgotten about him but Coutinho, Lallana, Firmino, Milner and Goetze if we sign him, hard to see where he fits. Markovic gives us 6 options there which is a lot, and that's me forgetting Ibe as well.

To be honest I think that would be the perfect amount of guys for those positions, particularly when you look at what they offer, and considering Milner fits into the CM category as well, and Firmino double-jobs at CF. It's 3 starting positions per game between those 6 guys - with the emphasis clearly on pressing and quick passing play - so you would expect 2 from the 4 of Coutinho, Firmino, Lallana and Gotze to start, then you pick between your other two options - a stoic hard working Milner who'll do plenty of crossing, or pure raw pace and direct running from Markovic.

Honestly, without Markovic, those 5 would leave me very worried about pace. It's something we often lack in games, and it's pretty much the only reason Ibe ever plays. If nothing else, a player like Markovic is absolutely vital to have on the bench so at least we can change things up.

Even look at last night from this perspective - that was about as good a bench as we've had all year, and yet all our changes naturally pushed the game central - no options to stretch Sevilla and make the pitch bigger adding a speedy threat wide. That's an aspect we need to have available.

Markovic for me will never be good enough for us & was pulling out of challenges nearly every week. I know its harsh but he was so poor in his 1st season. Not done much in Turkey either. I would sell him. Also if Markovic was English I think everyone would want him sold too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Looks like if Allen can't be offered first team football he may return to Swansea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

While the last few are being dragged into the thinking that Moreno isnt good enough there should also be more appreciation of the fact we do actually miss Henderson. We have been mauled in midfield a few times since he has been out. We may have had the same poor games with him, had he been there, but we do miss something when he isnt playing. We badly need one or two more who can physically mix it with the opposition.

daithijjj wrote: »
    While the last few are being dragged into the thinking that Moreno isnt good enough there should also be more appreciation of the fact we do actually miss Henderson. We have been mauled in midfield a few times since he has been out. We may have had the same poor games with him, had he been there, but we do miss something when he isnt playing. We badly need one or two more who can physically mix it with the opposition.

I think thats as much of an indictment on the other cms we have as opposed to how good Henderson is. Milner is not very effective in the role and Lucas is very limited. Allen has been at his best this season when playing further up the pitch. I'm pretty sure we've basically signed the two cms we're gonna sign tho (or more or less signed the 2nd one) so no superstar coming in but thats not Klopps way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Sevillas 2 in midfield will do that to teams alright, krychowiak is an awesome player. Grujic could well be the answer to our midfield problems who knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

We're not really signing Gotze are we?
    Surely we have no chance

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    I think thats as much of an indictment on the other cms we have as opposed to how good Henderson is. Milner is not very effective in the role and Lucas is very limited. Allen has been at his best this season when playing further up the pitch. I'm pretty sure we've basically signed the two cms we're gonna sign tho (or more or less signed the 2nd one) so no superstar coming in but thats not Klopps way.

Can can develop into an Alonso type player imo but there isnt the Mascherano type in the squad. Allen is way too light and while he has improved alot he is no more than a squad player in my mind. Lucas is the same level as Allen imo so you have to bring in a 'starter' or expect more of the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Can can develop into an Alonso type player imo but there isnt the Mascherano type in the squad. Allen is way too light and while he has improved alot he is no more than a squad player in my mind. Lucas is the same level as Allen imo so you have to bring in a 'starter' or expect more of the same.

klose wrote: »
    Sevillas 2 in midfield will do that to teams alright, krychowiak is an awesome player. Grujic could well be the answer to our midfield problems who knows.

Dortmund mauled us for an hour at home also. The best teams have a designated yard dog. We are far too flimsy aside from Can in there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/may/19/liverpool-close-signing-loris-karius-jurgen-klopp-mainz

Nothing new in this but the Karius rumours aren't going away. If he is signed for 4.7m as reported, that's three players added for under 10m which is a pretty decent start to the window.

I think Can will be more of a Yaya type player than an Alonso. He's already better at bringing the ball through midfield than Xabi ever was but he'll never have the range of passing or that amazingly beautiful ginger beard.

Sky is the limit for Can tho. Far from the finished product but there's not many midfielders his age as good as him. Neither Grujic or Zeilinski are that kind of player either. Tbh for a lot of league games we don't need a bruiser we need an Alonso. But for big games we'll need one. Klopp had Bender in Dortmund so no doubt he has a plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

It is great to see how much players like Toure, Lovren, Origi and Lallana have improved under Klopp. So many positives to take from the season.
    Matip is a very good defender and will keep things organised. A solid left back and some muscle in midfield with Emre Can and this team will vastly improve.
    Grujic might take some time to settle. I am sure Klopp would like to see what Markovic has to offer. We need pace out wide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Ci2O0ltUoAEvAGi.jpg:large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Grujic will be the defensive play maker, he's only 19 and it's a big step up from the Serbian league but I don't think Klopp will sign another player for the role this summer.

Lucas and Allen are both entering the final year of their contracts so the club may well opt to sell them now.

In the case of their departure, that would leave Can, Grujic, Henderson and Stewart as the options for the defensive midfield role.

Ahead of them would be two from Can, Coutinho, Henderson, Lallana, Milner and Zielinski.

The lack of consistent goal scoring from the midfielders will remain a big concern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭price690

David Maddock a Liverpool based journalist reckons the exit door is open for Balotelli and Markovic. Buvac (Klopps assistant) is not a fan of Markovic by all accounts

He also says the club are looking to sign 2 left backs in Hector and Chilwell and that Breel Emobolo is a target.

Jonathan Tah (German international centre back) was also at the game last night with his agent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

I felt hungover this morning and I wasnt drinking.

It was like a sad/depressing feeling I never felt before.

Im not very upbeat about next season unless we get decent players in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

mikeym wrote: »
    I felt hungover this morning and I wasnt drinking.

It was like a sad/depressing feeling I never felt before.

Im not very upbeat about next season unless we get decent players in.

Sounds like a typical comedown after a crazy rollercoaster of a night like yesterday. Smoke a few fags and you'll be sound in a day or two.

8HGN1yh.gif

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/672029/Jurgen-Klopp-search-fresh-crop-leaders-Liverpool-collapse-Europa-League-News-Gossip
    Defeat to Sevilla in the Europa League Final was still raw, the manner of his team's second-half unravelling intensifying the pain, and the Liverpool manager was anxious to improve the mood.

“I felt really, really **** three hours ago,” said Klopp. “It was really **** two hours ago, but now we’re back together it’s better.”

He promised there would be more finals in the future, outlined how the club was still at the start of a new adventure and then led everyone present in a rousing rendition of "We Are Liverpool".

For a short time at least, 45-minutes of utter chaos in St Jakob-Park were banished to the back of tired minds.

The trouble is that when Klopp re-emerged later on Thursday, having first stayed up to sunrise, the memories will have come flooding back.

There was Sevilla's equaliser just 18-seconds after the restart, Liverpool's inability to regroup and rediscover their composure and then the tame acceptance of their fate and the 3-1 reverse that brought the Spaniards a third consecutive success in the competition.

Klopp disappears on holiday today after eight intense months into which he has crammed 52 matches, but much of what he thought he had discovered about his squad was to be challenged in that inexplicable collapse when silverware slipped from their grasp.

When he returns he will know the honeymoon is over.

Pre-season will allow him to implement more of his methods and integrate the signings he has chosen.

The aftermath of the final had prompted a re-airing of familiar debates as Liverpool's supporters headed back to Merseyside.

Left-back Alberto Moreno's frailties dominated one topic of conversation, the importance of Anfield to this team another, and then the question of whether Liverpool, having lost two finals now this season to go with the near misses of recent campaign, possess enough leaders in their ranks to actually cross the winning line anytime soon.

When trailing 3-1 (and 4-2 on aggregate) to Borussia Dortmund in the quarters-finals, they were there. Yet from the moment Kevin Gameiro equalised, no one was able to summon the mental fortitude to counter and reclaim a foothold in a contest they had assumed control of through Daniel Sturridge's brilliance.

Liverpool will not react to defeat, even one as demoralising as this, in isolation.

Klopp's plans to introduce fresh blood were already in motion before they travelled to Switzerland.

Mario Gotze is the top target, and the absence of European football next season now should not be overly off-putting given he has hardly been Bayern Munich's go-to man in the Champions League.

A £4.7m deal for Mainz goalkeeper Loris Karius is close, Liverpool want Leicester's teenage left-back Ben Chilwell and there is interest in Udinese's Piotr Zielinski and Borussia Monchengladbach's Mahmoud Dahoud. The transfers of Marko Grujic and Joel Matip have already been completed.

There will be an expectation in some quarters that without the complication of continental competition Liverpool can be contenders next term as they were under Brendan Rodgers in 2014.

Back then, however, there was the force-of-nature that was Luis Suarez to inspire more from his team-mates and drag them forward.

Genuine star quality remains lacking and it will be interesting to see whether Gotze can provide it should he sign.

At the moment Klopp is Liverpool's rock star, but if Wednesday was a bad night for his players, then it was uncomfortable evening for the German as he seemed shell-shocked by what he was witnessing.

There was a point as Sevilla wreaked havoc that Klopp turned towards the travelling support, gesturing frantically in an attempt to mobilise them before dismissively waving his hand when a wall of noise did not emanate.

As emotional as Klopp is, he should be mindful not to make a habit of that.

He has no right to be disappointed with the fans, but if he was then imagine how Liverpool supporters felt at the failure to plug the gaps in midfield and tweak the formation when his best players disappeared.

At 2-1, Divock Origi replaced Roberto Firmino (Philippe Coutinho's best moment was avoiding being hooked) and the heavy metal approach continued with Liverpool effectively playing 4-2-4. Some 60 seconds later, it was Sevilla calling the tune with their third goal.

Liverpool would have remained a work in progress even had Jordan Henderson and James Milner hoisted the trophy to the heavens. Wednesday showed just how far they still have to go.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭JakeArmitage

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I'd go for 1984 myself

Thanks for sharing it again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

K-9 wrote: »
    Looking back, yeah the first half wasn't convincing from us, nowhere near the second Villa Real game anyway. Bit of class from Sturridge and maybe 3 half chances that on another night might have gone in and I think 1 penalty that could easily have been given.

Origi definitely wasn't the first player I'd have brought on, the problem was in CM, but Klopp did say he shares the blame which is refreshing to hear.

Far from convincing, we never realty had control of the game & that is ultimately where we fall down last few seasons with these players.. All go-go-go, no mixing tempo and certainly too many lightweights.

The PL is crying out for a midfielder even duo that can control games.

Last season Fab/Matic done it to extent & bossed the league.. Where are these type of players?? Get two in & we would improve tenfold

Piotr Zielinski and Borussia Monchengladbach's Mahmoud Dahoud.

Having seen a bit of both in my exhaustive browsing, it appears they are essentially two variants on the same theme - that of Joe Allen. Zielinski is definitely the more cultured of the pair with his two flighty feet of fancy but you can see Dahoud channeling the Welsh Pirlo's 'take and turn on the move' technique looking at his performance against Juventus in the CL. Of course neither are midfield bruisers, and as they are likely to be required to play the same role presumably one is a fall back for the other. With 'gladbach due to lose Xhaka to Arsenal it seems unlikely they'd want to let their other midfield star leave in the same window regardless of how much they get for both. Also I read that Buvac has been the one driving the interest in Zielinski so he is presumably the want they really want and should get.

loris-karius in the guardian, that Hunter has run a specific article on his transfer surely means it's happening

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/may/19/liverpool-close-signing-loris-karius-jurgen-klopp-mainz?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Not exactly a Mascherano style player, but a more cultured DM, Lyon's Maxime Gonalons is someone I'd like to see us sign. Said as much last year, but leave a sack of money on Lyon's door step and take away Gonalons, Fekir and Lacazette.

Umtiti as well for CB, but he has stated he'd be more suited to La Liga. Though I can imagine this was to stop further links with Spurs... I mean, who'd want to play for that lot...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Agree with a lot of that, but if Illori couldn't get a game in that Villa side he should be gone as well

And if we manage to clear out those 3 strikers we need 1 quality replacment

Would only let Allen go at the right price - seems happy enough to be a squad player

That's a naive opinion to have regarding a young player, especially a defender, in a team battling relegation. Remember Nigel Quasie kept Mascherano out of the team at West Ham before we signed him and that worked out ok,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

mormank wrote: »
    That's a naive opinion to have regarding a young player, especially a defender, in a team battling relegation. Remember Nigel Quasie kept Mascherano out of the team at West Ham before we signed him and that worked out ok,

The fact he got no time when other kids were playing in the league at the end of the season doesn't look great though...would have thought he'd have gotten some time beside Skrtel in the league if Klopp had much time for him...

He was so highly rated that maybe it's still worth loaning him out for another year somewhere, but i'm not optimistic on his future with us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

My summer prediction:

Sturridge gets injured in training for England before the tournament starts and is ruled out for 9 months. Hodgson blames Klopp's style of play.

Origi is the star of the tournament taking Belgium to the final while Benteke draws blanks. Origi gets injured in the final and is ruled out for 6 months.

We're stuck with Benteke for another season.

It's the Liverpool way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

dogbert27 wrote: »
    My summer prediction:

Sturridge gets injured in training for England before the tournament starts and is ruled out for 9 months. Hodgson blames Klopp's style of play.

Origi is the star of the tournament taking Belgium to the final while Benteke draws blanks. Origi gets injured in the final and is ruled out for 6 months.

We're stuck with Benteke for another season.

It's the Liverpool way.

That's too close to reality for my liking, incredibly plausible.

Telegraph have a fairly detailed transfer speculation piece on Liverpool today. Nothing overly surprising in it.

Says that Karius will join next week and that Ben Chilwell has been identified as the LB target. He has rejected an upgrade on his youth contract at Leicester but that we are offering less than half of what they want for him. They can risk keeping him for twelve months and taking it to a tribunal if they want.

Also says that Dahoud and Gotze are on the radar, with Allen, Lucas, Skrtel and Benteke all set to leave due to a lack of potential game time. Said a big decision will be made about Henderson, who is no longer a guaranteed starter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Time to switch off for the summer - I hate speculation / rumour / gossip / twitter ITK posts so god damn much. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

If we are after 2 lb's, I wonder what will happen to Gomez? By all accounts, he was our first choice lb under Rodgers. Was very impressed with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Benzino wrote: »
    If we are after 2 lb's, I wonder what will happen to Gomez? By all accounts, he was our first choice lb under Rodgers. Was very impressed with him.

Gomez is a cb who was being integrated into the team as a left back mostly because Moreno is a numpty

When back to full fitness he can provide cover at both full back positions which is needed as Randell is nowhere near good enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Benzino wrote: »

He's a right footed CB who'd never played at LB in his life before. It's a testament to his ability as a baller that he did as well as did, but also an indictment of the sheer dysfunctionality of the club's recruitment in recent years that he found himself in that position, at this stage of his career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Gomez is a cb who was being integrated into the team as a left back mostly because Moreno is a numpty

When back to full fitness he can provide cover at both full back positions which is needed as Randell is nowhere near good enough

Randall is a right back. It's Brad Smith that's our left back third choice.

Could see Randall going during the summer though as Clyne will be first choice with Flannagan second. No European football means Randall will see little to no first team action next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Ah, I wasn't aware of that! Even more impressed with his now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Clyne can play lb too

• Advertisement

corwill wrote: »
    He's a right footed CB who'd never played at LB in his life before. It's a testament to his ability as a baller that he did as well as did, but also an indictment of the sheer dysfunctionality of the club's recruitment in recent years that he found himself in that position, at this stage of his career.

There were some pretty staggering decisions made regarding recruitment in the last few seasons as you say.

For Gomez to play once or twice out of position in an emergency would have been acceptable, but the transfer window was still open - if Rodgers had so little faith in Moreno (and Smith), why wasn't something done about it then?

For me, the most puzzling move last summer was letting Markovic go with no replacement in place. Not that I rate Markovic that highly, but losing him and Sterling meant Ibe was the only pacy winger left. We signed a striker who thrives on crosses and wingers, and got rid of the f*cking wingers!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Time to switch off for the summer - I hate speculation / rumour / gossip / twitter ITK posts so god damn much. :(
    It's going to be a long Summer. Just wait for this place to explode after some idiot on Tw@tter reliably informs us that Coutinho is off to Barcelona in exchange for a chicken. Rinse and repeat for the Summer.

It's going to be a long Summer. Just wait for this place to explode after some idiot on Tw@tter reliably informs us that Coutinho is off to Barcelona in exchange for a chicken. Rinse and repeat for the Summer.

Can the chicken play left-back? Because if so...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Somehow I don't think Barcelona are going to have much interest in Coutinho even at that price!

This is my favourite time of year - all promise, no disappointment!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement