Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016, Mod Warning in OP, 10/7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Why do you need walls to stop antagonising people. Can't your fans just do the decent human thing ?

Fixed that for ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    There's nothing hidden about it.

I was being sarcastic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Why do you need walls to stop antagonising people. Can't your fans just do the decent human thing ?

Easily one of the stupidest posts I've read here, and that's some achievement. Don't know who you support but every team has a few troublemakers following them, and none of this would've happened if UEFA had ensured proper security in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Glico Man wrote: »
    I was being sarcastic

There's a smiley for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Martin Skrtel to Greece anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Anywhere will do tbh. There's no room for him at the inn anyway. Tho we do need to know how long Sakho is gonna be out for to determine if we need to buy another cb. I'd be fine with Lovern, Sakho, Matip and Gomez. If its only a month or two of next year then we could maybe stick Lucas back there as cover too..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Somewhere a bit farther west and north, for preference, if I'm going to carry him all the way there myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

8-10 wrote: »
    What am I missing about Markovic that makes people want to see him in the team? I would honestly lose no sleep if he was sold tomorrow. Same with Ilori, no idea where the opinions on him come from?

me too, he looked very lightweight and mentally weak... Maybe the former could be dealt with by a weight training regime and maybe the latter can be sorted with the manager putting his faith in him / putting the arm around him..

One thing is for certain, the full backs at the moment dont give us enough going forward so maybe we need to get proper pace and creativity in the wide areas.

We need our midfielders to score a ton of goals next season if we are to get back into the top 4 imo. We also need a pacy striker to give us more goals and to be there if Sturridge breaks down again...

In the center of mid we need a hard as nails type to cover the back 4. Need a new commanding GK and we need another hard man center half who will score us a few goals from set pieces

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Anywhere will do tbh. There's no room for him at the inn anyway. Tho we do need to know how long Sakho is gonna be out for to determine if we need to buy another cb. I'd be fine with Lovern, Sakho, Matip and Gomez. If its only a month or two of next year then we could maybe stick Lucas back there as cover too..

Thinking we'll sign at lest another centre-back. Lovren has improved a bit but he's still miles off being a top class centre-back. Sakho even if he is eligible picks up a couple of injuries every year. Keep Kolo and Gomez, the rest are replaceable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Jaysus the SPL that's some come down but just about his level aright.

Agree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Well, I'd say there's room unless we buy unfortunately......Sakho should probably be out for next season, as will Toure......just leaves Lovren/Matip/Illori/Gomez if Skrtel is to go......I dont rate him but he's better than Illori and Gomez....I think Gomez has a bright future but bar 3 games in which he played well, the games against WHU and ManU really showed that he wasn't quite ready in the centre.....Illori has done nothing to suggest he could be a starter for us also.......Lucas can fill in but I'm not sure he's a long term solution.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

corwill wrote: »
    Somewhere a bit farther west and north, for preference, if I'm going to carry him all the way there myself.
    If it needs doing, the 3 of us can share the driving.

I'm in to carry him anywhere as long as it isn't Liverpool.

Tbh, we could shove Mario on the roof rack and drop the two of them to China in a week or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭price690

If it needs doing, the 3 of us can share the driving.

I'm in to carry him anywhere as long as it isn't Liverpool.

Tbh, we could shove Mario on the roof rack and drop the two of them to China in a week or so.

Don't think he would want you carrying him around liverpool either. that would be pretty pointless for all involved :p

price690 wrote: »
    Don't think he would want you carrying him around liverpool either. that would be pretty pointless for all involved :p
    Especially seeing as he's in Milan atm.

Along with Ever Banega, just moved to Inter for £3m a year in salary:eek:

http://forzaitalianfootball.com/2016/05/inter-boss-confirms-midfielder-signing/

Was it Kess that was the Banega fanboy back in the day?

He can't be that clever - he got run over by his own car once. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Losing the league and coming second sounds really good about now. Goals put you in frame, if you can score 75 plus goals you will end up in top 2 and maybe end up losing the title again and coming second. You simply can't argue with the fact that who ever wins this league will need 70 plus goals or thereabouts. Having a dodgy keeper or defence will be reason you get pipped to title maybe! But you will compete, so we should concentrate on adding goals to this team.
    If fit Sturridge gets you 25 a season, but you can't rely on his fitness.
    Couthino needs 13 to be playing in top 3, hopefully he progresses that side of his game
    Firmino needs same, that gives you 51 . This is where you need a striker coming from the bench to chip in with 10 more and for your big defenders to get at least 2 a piece from set pieces. Goals from midfield are lacking since Gerrard left, Can, Henderson, Milner, Allen never stepped up to fill that void, at least one of them should be free to go forward Lampard or Gerrard like and score over 10 a season.
    As for defense, who cares. Change keeper, change Moreno, it won't mean a thing without 70 plus goals a season.
    It would be my focus, to score 20 more than we did this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    The fact he got no time when other kids were playing in the league at the end of the season doesn't look great though...would have thought he'd have gotten some time beside Skrtel in the league if Klopp had much time for him...

He was so highly rated that maybe it's still worth loaning him out for another year somewhere, but i'm not optimistic on his future with us.

But sure why would Aston Villa bother giving gametime to a youngster that isn't theirs and most likely won't be there in a month's time? You know as well as I do that CB can be a very difficult position for a young player to get a chance at, especially when the team is in a relegation battle. It would need to be an outstanding young defender to get a look in imo.

Sturridge has never scored 25 goals in a season or been fit for a full season....

He's phenomenal in front of goal but he's turning 27 in September and has only managed 165 league games in his whole career. Its a bonus if he plays 25 league games let alone scoring 25 league goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

mormank wrote: »
    But sure why would Aston Villa bother giving gametime to a youngster that isn't theirs and most likely won't be there in a month's time? You know as well as I do that CB can be a very difficult position for a young player to get a chance at, especially when the team is in a relegation battle. It would need to be an outstanding young defender to get a look in imo.

I was talking about with Liverpool, not Villa.

For the past month we've been fielding the likes of Brannagan, Chiravella, Ojo, Stewart, Randall, Ward etc, but not a hint of game time for Illori.
    He's been back with us since January, but all he's played was those 2 cup games beside Enrique at CB.

I'm with you - CB is the toughest position to break into at a big club because any mistake has such serious repercussions. But it doesn't really look like Klopp has much interest in him regardless...and with Gomez coming through too, it looks like he's not going to play for us any time soon. As I said, i'd be fine with loaning him out for another year and revisiting it then, but I'm a lot less optimistic on his future with us than I was a year ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

NukaCola wrote: »
    Sturridge has never scored 25 goals in a season or been fit for a full season....

He's phenomenal in front of goal but he's turning 27 in September and has only managed 165 league games in his whole career. Its a bonus if he plays 25 league games let alone scoring 25 league goals.

And now he has lost his pace a 25 goals season won't happen in England.

• Advertisement

I'm glad Benteke noticed that his games were typically Liverpool's lowest scoring! :D I don't think his pleading will make any difference though.

Firmino goals and assists for the season, he gets some stick but dammit looks at this

His production in the second half was very impressive. However he still loses the ball too often during a game imo, especially when he has no Coutinho to link up with, however I was very happy when we signed him and I'm still happy to have him now. If he can just cut out losing the ball so easily he will be very good for us next season and beyond imo.

I'm still not sure if he's lost his pace, or is refusing to use it...We'll know better after preseason I guess. I'm really hoping it's the latter until he's more confident in his legs.

As someone else mentioned though, that ball into the corner where he was favorite to make it if he sprinted and would have set him clear through on goal, really bugged me...hell even if he just went at 3/4 pace it would have been a 50/50 challenge. Instead he just jogged and posed no challenge to the defender. For all the goals he scores, we need a striker that chases and harries in those situations, like Origi, Ings and Firmino do. We've seen how many times Firmino has turned nothing situations into goals by hassling defenders and being constantly on the move and alert.

But hopefully a decent preseason will get him feeling better and more confident. Otherwise, he may find himself 2nd or 3rd choice with us despite his talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Agreed, amazing talent but gets injured far too easily and seems that some of it is in his head as well.

G tze seems to be injured as well...we need another option so :)

Lads, Moreno is getting no love whatsoever so I thought I would say this much. The lad is very entertaining to watch, the amount of times in a game where is out of position leads to him using his pace to fly at defenders from behind and tackle in such a way that his leg comes round the front of the attacker and he wins the ball fairly, whilst the tackle technically coming from behind. It is a tackle I have seen him attempt and complete several times throughout the season. Always brings a smile to my face. :p But yeah, that's all I got... :(

Most sarcasm is best delivered deadpan however, so no smiley!

I was talking about with Liverpool, not Villa.

For the past month we've been fielding the likes of Brannagan, Chiravella, Ojo, Stewart, Randall, Ward etc, but not a hint of game time for Illori.
    He's been back with us since January, but all he's played was those 2 cup games beside Enrique at CB.

I'm with you - CB is the toughest position to break into at a big club because any mistake has such serious repercussions. But it doesn't really look like Klopp has much interest in him regardless...and with Gomez coming through too, it looks like he's not going to play for us any time soon. As I said, i'd be fine with loaning him out for another year and revisiting it then, but I'm a lot less optimistic on his future with us than I was a year ago.

Oh I thought he was still at Villa. Didn't realise he had been recalled to Liverpool? Well obviously disregard what I said then. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

Talisman wrote: »
    Gerrard was playing the same quarter back role as he had been in the previous games, no-one had a problem with it then. It's only an issue because he failed to control the ball. In a way, I was glad that it was him rather than any other Liverpool player because of the inevitable back lash. Can you imagine the witch hunt if it was any other player? They would never have been seen again in a Liverpool shirt.

Go back to my points, no problem earlier in the season no...

Just like no-one had a problem with Leicester playing you score 1 we score 2/3...

However!!!!! Business end of the season you must be sensible... Suppose that's what the difference between a good manager & a great manager is!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Yes, that is point I guess.
    If fit I think he would score 25 or thereabouts, but its unlikely he will stay fit or score the 25. So what to do.
    How do we turn this team into a team that can score, who is going to be our 25 plus league goals a season man. Its not Origi or Benteke either.
    Signing a keeper or left back is not going to enable us to challenge for title or top 5 .
    8 goals from 11 starts and 3 appearances from bench would suggest Sturridge could get 25 plus goals over 38 games. If we sign a proven striker and Sturridge is happy to play his part then we can go close next year.

We just cannot ignore fact we need to replace Suarez, its now nearly 2 years since he left. Its ridiculous not to have replaced his goals in team.

Lads, Moreno is getting no love whatsoever so I thought I would say this much. The lad is very entertaining to watch, the amount of times in a game where is out of position leads to him using his pace to fly at defenders from behind and tackle in such a way that his leg comes round the front of the attacker and he wins the ball fairly, whilst the tackle technically coming from behind. It is a tackle I have seen him attempt and complete several times throughout the season. Always brings a smile to my face. :p But yeah, that's all I got... :(

If your being beaten with nothing to lose and you want to double up in attack down the left, or need fresh legs to run at players he's a good option from the bench.....

If only he could learn from his mistakes he might turn into a decent LWB...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I'm still not sure if he's lost his pace, or is refusing to use it...We'll know better after preseason I guess. I'm really hoping it's the latter until he's more confident in his legs.

As someone else mentioned though, that ball into the corner where he was favorite to make it if he sprinted and would have set him clear through on goal, really bugged me...hell even if he just went at 3/4 pace it would have been a 50/50 challenge. Instead he just jogged and posed no challenge to the defender. For all the goals he scores, we need a striker that chases and harries in those situations, like Origi, Ings and Firmino do. We've seen how many times Firmino has turned nothing situations into goals by hassling defenders and being constantly on the move and alert.

But hopefully a decent preseason will get him feeling better and more confident. Otherwise, he may find himself 2nd or 3rd choice with us despite his talent.

Well if Sturridge is second choice that's great, means we've bought very well! The squad as it is is struggling for goals, Benteke 10 and Sturridge 9 IIRC, 1 of those should be giving us that amount in a season at the very least. Both aren't delivering on what they can be, Benteke is a very expensive supersub though.

Somebody made the point price doesn't really matter with Benteke and if we'd bought him for £5 Million we'd be happy, that is not how it works. We did spend £32 Million so it's opportunity cost, if we can sell for £20 Million and get 20 goals a season and somebody who fits the style of football...

When our style clicks it scores goals and unfortunately that style doesn't include Benteke. We usually only score a goal or 2 at most when he starts, and with our defence...

Just on CB's, if Skrtel, Illori and Toure go, that's basically 4 CB's gone next season if we count Sakho. It's a lot and leaves Lovren, a new CB just joining the club and Gomez. Keeping Toure kind of makes sense until Sakho comes back. That even leaves it tight enough but Gomez would be getting game time.

It's very early days with the speculation, Moreno and Henderson could be gone going on paper talk, I can't see that along with 3 CB's, Lucas, Allen, Mario, Markovic and Benteke.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

I think they would love him. Just imagine the shenanigans he'd get up to...

Injury time winner in an Old Firm derby anyone?!

K-9 wrote: »
    Well if Sturridge is second choice that's great, means we've bought very well!

Oh, sorry I meant second choice just from who we have right now, behind Origi.

It's early days for Origi though, looks promising but it's a lot to be expecting of him when we don't know about Sturridge's long term fitness yet.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

K-9 wrote: »
    It's early days for Origi though, looks promising but it's a lot to be expecting of him when we don't know about Sturridge's long term fitness yet.

every one is forgetting Ings too. if they could spread 35-40 goals between the three of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Most sarcasm is best delivered deadpan however, so no smiley!

To be frank, the tone of my post, and what I was responding to didn't warrant a smiley.

But anyway... enough of that

Away from the German population being linked with us, Ruben Neves links have gone cold since he was last mentioned. Perhaps his agent was angling for a better contract. Camacho links are dead too.

I think a specialised DM would help push Can further into the 'driver' position in midfield. He certainly knows how and is well able to carry the ball forward to drive from midfield towards the final third.

A midfield of, lets say

Neves

---Can
    Zielinski(whomever we sign)

Behind the frontline of

---Firmino (another perhaps)----Origi/Sturridge----Coutinho---

would help push us on I think.

A quick word on Markovic -

David Pleat (bear with me) was interviewed that summer about signings and he picked out Markovic as the one that caught his eye.

I know he is a dose to listen to and I always find myself with a rusty blade in my hand (heading towards my ears) when he is talking but he watches an obscene amount of football. I've heard him commentating on a game and referencing seeing a player playing youth football in Eastern Europe. His opinion seems to be highly regarded within football.

There must be a player inside Markovic and hopefully Klopp can find it.

Bowlardo wrote: »
    every one is forgetting Ings too. if they could spread 35-40 goals between the three of them

Ings is versatile. I suppose we are looking for that 15-20 PL goals striker, it just looks doubtful Benteke is that player and we can't rely on Sturridge to be fit enough. New signing, Sturridge, Origi and Ings are great options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Theoretically, 27 - 29 is supposed to be a strikers peak. Klopp seems to be managing him well, hopefully he can stay fit.

I'm still drooling over that last goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I hope Allen isn't sold. He's been one of the players of the season for me. Klopp has played him further forward a few times but i'd like him in centre midfield, over Milner.

I like Milner, just not in CM, he's best out wide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Losing the league and coming second sounds really good about now. Goals put you in frame, if you can score 75 plus goals you will end up in top 2 and maybe end up losing the title again and coming second. You simply can't argue with the fact that who ever wins this league will need 70 plus goals or thereabouts. Having a dodgy keeper or defence will be reason you get pipped to title maybe! But you will compete, so we should concentrate on adding goals to this team.
    Couthino needs 13 to be playing in top 3, hopefully he progresses that side of his game
    Firmino needs same, that gives you 51 . This is where you need a striker coming from the bench to chip in with 10 more and for your big defenders to get at least 2 a piece from set pieces. Goals from midfield are lacking since Gerrard left, Can, Henderson, Milner, Allen never stepped up to fill that void, at least one of them should be free to go forward Lampard or Gerrard like and score over 10 a season.
    As for defense, who cares. Change keeper, change Moreno, it won't mean a thing without 70 plus goals a season.
    It would be my focus, to score 20 more than we did this season.

Rubbish. You can win the league scoring 30 goals. Defence wins you leagues. Keeping clean sheets win you leagues. We should know that better than anyone after two years ago. Only one team in the league scored over 70 goals this season, and they finished 15 points behind the league winners. We need a goalscoring midfielder it's true, but saying we need 75 goals to compete at the top is rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Long term CB options we have Masterson. He might be only turning 18 in Sep, but he's made the bench a couple times this season and he's up training with full team now. He's been with them since 13 & they see a bright future for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

**** it anyway! That was disappointing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

First 19 league games this season: 21 goals scored

Last 19 league games this season: 42 goals scored

I'm not saying we'll score 80+ goals next season, but it's clear that Klopp knows how to get the team scoring. I don't think it's as big a problem as some of you make out.

Its going to be said a million times on here this summer: fix the defense and the league position will fix itself.

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Rubbish. You can win the league scoring 30 goals. Defence wins you leagues. Keeping clean sheets win you leagues. We should know that better than anyone after two years ago. Only one team in the league scored over 70 goals this season, and they finished 15 points behind the league winners. We need a goalscoring midfielder it's true, but saying we need 75 goals to compete at the top is rubbish.
    Goals win games.

Defenses win titles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Umaro wrote: »

Last 19 league games this season: 42 goals scored

I'm not saying we'll score 80+ goals next season, but it's clear that Klopp knows how to get the team scoring. I don't think it's as big a problem as some of you make out.

Its going to be said a million times on here this summer: fix the defense and the league position will fix itself.

I guess I feel like getting down off the ledge now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Would you say rogers will get a loan of any of our players?
    The likes of wisdom, Ilori, Ibe,Canos.
    It would be some platform for them to play in front of 65,000 fans most weeks and european football.

What are the rules in home many players you can loan out from one club

In England the max is three between club (Liverpool - Swindon Town last season) not sure what happens if the club is in a different country though (how many Chelsea players are at Vitesse?!). As for loans I'd prefer to send 'em to Brentford and Huddersfield to be honest, sell what are now marginal senior players to Celtic.

Besiktas have made an offer for Martin Skrtel. (@Turkish_Futbol)

https://twitter.com/DaveOCKOP/status/733716794695929857

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Besiktas have made an offer for Martin Skrtel. (@Turkish_Futbol)

https://twitter.com/DaveOCKOP/status/733716794695929857

Round of doners on me if this goes through.

Umaro wrote: »

Last 19 league games this season: 42 goals scored........

Sturridge's availability couple with Origi & Firmino finding their PL feet.
    Add in Ings to that and a new striker to replace Benteke/Balotelli and 80 PL goals next season is not at all out of the question.

Upgrade on Mignolet and add the CM that is first 11 material and we are in a really good position without.

LB & CB would be #4 & #5 on the list after the 3 above imo.

Presuming Toure & one of Allen/Lucas are kept and Gomez is looking like an option recovery wise.

Mignolet upgrade is #1 for me as he's a total liability when he loses he head and given the element of pressure that will be on the team as the PL will be the main focus next season he really can't be trusted as every game will be important, no post euro matches slump excuse.

Klopp is well able for the pressure element of next season, Mignolet really isn't. The rest of the squad, I don't know but Mignolet won't really help them through a bad patch from what we've seen.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement