Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016, Mod Warning in OP, 10/7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Juan8 wrote: »
    *You're

giphy.gif

Your mastery of debating impresses.

Please stick around, you're offering so much to this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

noodler wrote: »
    Why we wouldnt keep him around to plug holes, nevermind his positive influence is beyond me, youd have to assume Sakho and Skrtel are gonners so it means we need even more replacements.
    I reckon sakho stays depending on the length of the ban he gets. We have lovren, matip and gomez. Think we most certainly will sign another centre half. Tah and sule from the bundisliga have been linked in the past few weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

noodler wrote: »
    Why we wouldnt keep him around to plug holes, nevermind his positive influence is beyond me, youd have to assume Sakho and Skrtel are gonners so it means we need even more replacements.

Did a fine job filling in.....makes sense to keep him for one more season, wouldn't be on big wages either...

Kolo being released could mean that Lucas is staying. Proved an adequate makeshift CB when called upon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Kolo being released could mean that Lucas is staying. Proved an adequate makeshift CB when called upon.

I'd rather get rid of Lucas and keep Kolo to cover the CB position tbh!
    Good CB > adequate makeshift CB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

corwill wrote: »
    Jog on, FA.

Have to say I agree entirely - it feels like the worst sop to their own conscience.

Presser at 1 PM and apparently there's going to be an announcement - Karius maybe or Main Stand naming rights perhaps.

Anto Coric tekkers video - clearly got some talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Haven't seen much of Tah. But I did see him against Bayern getting destroyed for pace by Coman which always sticks with me. Not to say he isn't a good CB. But 2 CBs I have been most impressed with are Manolas & Koulibaly. But without CL football they could be difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Juan8 wrote: »
    I'd have thought that Birmingham, Portsmouth, Wigan and Swansea City being more successful in the last decade would have softened you up enough tbh

That's a pretty weird definition of success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

MD1990 wrote: »
    Haven't seen much of Tah. But I did see him against Bayern getting destroyed for pace by Coman which always sticks with me. Not to say he isn't a good CB. But 2 CBs I have been most impressed with are Manolas & Koulibaly. But without CL football they could be difficult.

Manolas is one of the quickest players I've ever seen, absolute lightning and he's got plenty of ability to go with it. I see him moving to a Barca or Real soon but a cheeky £30m bid couldn't hurt, test their resolve. Problem is the Italians are a prick to do business with. Roma would probably sell him to us and somehow convince us to let him back on loan for the full duration of his contract while we pay all his wages and send Sakho over to paint his villa once a month.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

I suppose it doesn't really make sense to keep Kolo but I'll miss him. Top professional, great personality and seemed to really give his all when he played - he's the total opposite of his brother in attitude it seems.

Leaves us with Matip, Lovren, Skrtel, Gomez and possibly Sakho, with Lucas covering. We all seem agreed that Skrtel is out the door, so I would expect another arrival there.

I dont have any suggestions but I'd love for us to finally get the right players in there and solve the defence. It feels like we've been struggling there since about 2009 so it would be great to not panic every time the ball crosses the half way line!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I suppose it doesn't really make sense to keep Kolo but I'll miss him. Top professional, great personality and seemed to really give his all when he played - he's the total opposite of his brother in attitude it seems.

Leaves us with Matip, Lovren, Skrtel, Gomez and possibly Sakho, with Lucas covering. We all seem agreed that Skrtel is out the door, so I would expect another arrival there.

I dont have any suggestions but I'd love for us to finally get the right players in there and solve the defence. It feels like we've been struggling there since about 2009 so it would be great to not panic every time the ball crosses the half way line!!

I think we'll get another centre-half in along with Matip who is already signed. Sakho is looking at minimum 6 months out and very probably longer. Left-back badly needed it goes without saying. Just hope we aren't going with just this young Chilwell lad. I mean he's only 19. Would prefer to see him arrive along with a more experienced left-back. Don't want to see Moreno around next season. Sick of his repeated brainfarts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

martyos121 wrote: »
    Manolas is one of the quickest players I've ever seen, absolute lightning and he's got plenty of ability to go with it. I see him moving to a Barca or Real soon but a cheeky £30m bid couldn't hurt, test their resolve. Problem is the Italians are a prick to do business with. Roma would probably sell him to us and somehow convince us to let him back on loan for the full duration of his contract while we pay all his wages and send Sakho over to paint his villa once a month.
    Yeah Manolas is very quick. Koulibaly is even quicker though.
    Brillant CB & alongside Varne the quickest in world football.

I think we'll get another centre-half in along with Matip who is already signed. Sakho is looking at minimum 6 months out and very probably longer. Left-back badly needed it goes without saying. Just hope we aren't going with just this young Chilwell lad. I mean he's only 19. Would prefer to see him arrive along with a more experienced left-back. Don't want to see Moreno around next season. Sick of his repeated brainfarts.

Yep, won't argue with you on any of that.

I hope that we sign a few players ready to go straight into the first team instead of just half a dozen potentially good players!

I think Matip and Lovren will start next season with Sakho suspended. Gomez is then third choice with Lucas as 4th choice cover. Also as Sakho is coming back after suspension another CB would push Gomez to fifth choice.

I don't see it happening. If anything it's Lucas staying as a utlity midfielder / cb or Ilori being kept for one more year for cover while Sakho is suspended.

Ilori can be sold in the January transfer window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Gotze would have been a great signing but attacking players aren't the priority for the club right now I believe it's the defence and central midfield areas that needs to be strengthened first and foremost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I think 3 CB's with Lucas is the max we need with Sakho suspended.

Matip, Lovren, Gomez, Lucas and Sakho is all we need for next season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Tune in at 13:00 BST for a live press conference and some news you don't want to miss!

https://twitter.com/LFCTV/status/735036430829912069

I'm going to assume that's the Karius transfer?

Is Klopp's preferred system 4-2-3-1?

If it is then currently it's Henderson, Can, Milner, Lucas, Stewart, Grujic and Allen for the "2" position. If Can is a starter then there is only one spot for Henderson, Milner or Grujic. Lucas and Allen could leave due to this if Stewart is happy to be a squad player for another year. I don't know if we'll add another CM.

It's Lallana, Coutinho, Firmino, Ibe, Ojo, for the "3" position. Also Henderson, Allen and Milner can fill in one of these positions if needed. Markovic could also come back to be tried out

It's Sturridge, Origi, Benteke and Ings for the "1". We can sell Benteke and have Firmino filling in as a fourth choice striker so I don't think we will be looking for a striker this summer.

It really is the defence and goal keeping position that requires upgrading. I was hoping we'd get a GK that would be a direct replacement for Mignolet, not someone to give him competition.
    Although it was said that Mignolet was bought to give Reina competition and we saw how that turned out!!

If it is then currently it's Henderson, Can, Milner, Lucas, Stewart, Grujic and Allen for the "2" position. If Can is a starter then there is only one spot for Henderson, Milner or Grujic. Lucas and Allen could leave due to this if Stewart is happy to be a squad player for another year. I don't know if we'll add another CM.

Stewart is not good enough, happy enough to keep him as a squad player but ok if he wants to leave.

I'm hoping he switches to a 4-3-2-1 myself. two in the middle with three No 10s is not a balanced set up at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Just because we have the numbers for those positions doesn't mean the players are good enough. I'll be annoyed if we don't sign a CM this window.

8-10 wrote: »
    Stewart is not good enough, happy enough to keep him as a squad player but ok if he wants to leave.

Agree he's not a first choice midfielder to have a team challenging in the top 4. He is a useful squad member but currently about 7th in the pecking order so if he wants a career it would be in his interest to move to a West Brom, Burnley or somebody of that level for first team football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Tune in at 13:00 BST for a live press conference and some news you don't want to miss!

https://twitter.com/LFCTV/status/735036430829912069

I'm going to assume that's the Karius transfer?

They don't normally do transfers via press conference. Probably a new sponsorship deal.

Naming of new stand maybe?

Or maybe further regeneration of Anfield?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I'd rather lose Lucas than Kolo, the guy has been outstanding for us whenever he has played this season. Bar the odd mistake here and there he has been a great free transfer overall.

Agree he's not a first choice midfielder to have a team challenging in the top 4. He is a useful squad member but currently about 7th in the pecking order so if he wants a career it would be in his interest to move to a West Brom, Burnley or somebody of that level for first team football.

The Anfield Wrap guys had some stats on him recently about the % of passes he makes backwards but I can't remember it. They basically said that they can't figure out if he's a good player or a bad player!

I agree with you, he's useful but he shouldn't be in the first team for a team challenging for the Top 4. He's more a Leon Britton than a Joe Allen.

Having said that he signed a new contract in Feb so he's likely to stick around and play cup games, I'm fine with that.

Just because we have the numbers for those positions doesn't mean the players are good enough. I'll be annoyed if we don't sign a CM this window.

The numbers are the problem though.

Throw Brannagan in and we have 8 CM's for 2 positions.

Rossiter has already left due to seeing the writing on the wall. One of Stewart or Brannagan will move on too.

Then Lucas and Allen will probably leave.

That leaves Henderson, Milner, Can, and Grujic.

One more CM could be bought but I don't think it will be a big signing.

Main Stand naming rights
    Triple unveiling (including January buys)
    Barca friendly
    Ian Ayre contract extension
    New burger/soft drink contract.

Main Stand naming rights
    Triple unveiling (including January buys)
    Barca friendly
    Ian Ayre contract extension
    New burger/soft drink contract.

I thought Ian Ayre is leaving?

Rossiter has already left due to seeing the writing on the wall. One of Stewart or Brannagan will move on too.

Zielinski/Dahoud maybe?

From an Ajax point of view the players to look at are Riechedly Bazoer or Davy Klaasen. I expect both to move this summer as both are available for the right price and both are excellent prospects in the middle of the park. Bazoer is defensive but with a great engine, could see him play alongside Can very well. Klaasen is basically Christian Eriksen.

Would love to see either at Liverpool but don't think it's likely.

I'm happy Ayre is staying.

Despite being the butt of the joke a lot the guy has done a great job.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I've heard Barcelona are sniffing around him. He looks like he has the makings of a fabulous player the way he glides around picking passes and moving the ball.
    Stewart looks very promising as well, but I think he needs to improve on his awareness of how is around him from the opposition. He gets caught on the ball a bit. A loan at a Premier league team next year would do his development wonders if he was guaranteed game time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

rob316 wrote: »
    I'd rather lose Lucas than Kolo, the guy has been outstanding for us whenever he has played this season. Bar the odd mistake here and there he has been a great free transfer overall.

Lucas can play in more positions, CB, DM, CM, and i remember him playing in the AM role for one or 2 sub appearances, he offers something different when played in the AM role, win the ball high up and give it to someone who can create something from it.

Kolo has been fantastic for us, in particular this year, but he's limited to a CB role, not fast enough to play any higher up, anyway if he does go he'll be missed.

Also, as someone else said before me having the numbers is not the priority, quality should be, we should be asking ourselves can we realistically sign someone to upgrade us in every position? RB and ST are the only two positions i don't think we can upgrade on being realistic with viewing our transfers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

This is the news apparently.
    CjOE87AWEAAXXgJ.jpg

Sure none of their best players will even play...i'd rather it in Anfield than Wembley too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

The Ian Ayre stand?

ERG89 wrote: »
    CjOE87AWEAAXXgJ.jpg

Sure none of their best players will even play...i'd rather it in Anfield than Wembley too.

That game was already announced months ago, it's the venue that was announced today. It had been said to be at an unknown European venue previously which led people to suggest it would be at the Aviva in Dublin - http://www.joe.ie/sport/reports-liverpool-to-take-on-barcelona-in-dublins-aviva-stadium-in-august/536064

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Is Klopp's preferred system 4-2-3-1?

It's Lallana, Coutinho, Firmino, Ibe, Ojo, for the "3" position. Also Henderson, Allen and Milner can fill in one of these positions if needed. Markovic could also come back to be tried out

It's Sturridge, Origi, Benteke and Ings for the "1". We can sell Benteke and have Firmino filling in as a fourth choice striker so I don't think we will be looking for a striker this summer.

It really is the defence and goal keeping position that requires upgrading. I was hoping we'd get a GK that would be a direct replacement for Mignolet, not someone to give him competition.
    Although it was said that Mignolet was bought to give Reina competition and we saw how that turned out!!

Firmino as a fourth choice striker!

Press conference disaster!

Latest is Kolo might be offered a new contract.... Yeah

Canos may be off....Booo
    Watford/QPR interested in Canos, who favours move to London & rated at £4m by LFC. Also there's still hope of new deal for @KoloKolotoure28

https://twitter.com/carlmarkham/status/735064332799729665

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Latest is Kolo might be offered a new contract.... Yeah

Just give the fúcker a cúnting contract and stop being fúckbags ffs :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

ERG89 wrote: »
    CjOE87AWEAAXXgJ.jpg

Was never going to be at Anfield when Liverpool have requested that the 1st two games of the upcoming season be away

I think Matip and Lovren will start next season with Sakho suspended. Gomez is then third choice with Lucas as 4th choice cover. Also as Sakho is coming back after suspension another CB would push Gomez to fifth choice.

I don't see it happening. If anything it's Lucas staying as a utlity midfielder / cb or Ilori being kept for one more year for cover while Sakho is suspended.

Ilori can be sold in the January transfer window.

Ilori wasn't good enough to be called upon this season when everyone got a run out as a CB, he will be sold this summer I'd say.

Sakho's suspension will determine how many players we sign - if it's 6 months from his initial ban, we'll make do with what we have. Any longer, it wouldn't be wise to leave ourselves with just Matip, Lovren, Lucas and Gomez.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

His name is Joemez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Ilori is already gone lads.

Any longer, it wouldn't be wise to leave ourselves with just Matip, Lovren, Lucas and Gomez.

As long as there's not a couple on injuries I think it's ok. Other teams manage with 3/4 CB's for a full season in the league

Arsenal seem to only play Koscielny, Mertesacker and Gabriel with Chambers as backup
    Spurs have Alderweireld, Vertonghen and Wimmer with Dier able to play there
    City have Otamendi, Kompany and Mangala with Demichelis as well due to Kompany's injuries
    Chelsea have Zouma, Terry and Cahill with Ivanovic covering from fullback if needed

I see no reason to have 5 or 6 centre halves for the league campaign anyway. If you have 3 first teamers competing for the 2 spots and 1 additional player who can cover then you're set. I think with all the additional games this season we ended up using a lot more players there than we would need to next year, I mean this season we had an incredible 11 different players playing centre half for us in the first team!

Dejan Lovren
    Mamadou Sakho
    Martin Skrtel
    Joe Gomez
    Kolo Toure
    Emre Can
    Lucas Leiva
    Tiago Ilori
    Jose Enrique
    Joe Maguire
    Steven Caulker

....all played first team minutes at centre half. I reckon we can cut that list down to 6 next season, as I say no more than 3 + 1 backup in the whole league season, with 2 others from the reserves for cup games or to cover an injury crisis.

8-10 wrote: »
    As long as there's not a couple on injuries I think it's ok. Other teams manage with 3/4 CB's for a full season in the league

Arsenal seem to only play Koscielny, Mertesacker and Gabriel with Chambers as backup
    Spurs have Alderweireld, Vertonghen and Wimmer with Dier able to play there
    City have Otamendi, Kompany and Mangala with Demichelis as well due to Kompany's injuries
    Chelsea have Zouma, Terry and Cahill with Ivanovic covering from fullback if needed

I see no reason to have 5 or 6 centre halves for the league campaign anyway. If you have 3 first teamers competing for the 2 spots and 1 additional player who can cover then you're set. I think with all the additional games this season we ended up using a lot more players there than we would need to next year, I mean this season we had an incredible 11 different players playing centre half for us in the first team!

Dejan Lovren
    Mamadou Sakho
    Martin Skrtel
    Joe Gomez
    Kolo Toure
    Emre Can
    Lucas Leiva
    Tiago Ilori
    Jose Enrique
    Joe Maguire
    Steven Caulker

....all played first team minutes at centre half. I reckon we can cut that list down to 6 next season, as I say no more than 3 + 1 backup in the whole league season, with 2 others from the reserves for cup games or to cover an injury crisis.

My issue wouldn't be with the amount of CBs we would have available, but who they are! The way I see it, its 2 first teamers and 2 cover competing, as opposed to 3+1 like you say above.

Matip and Lovren would be our two starters - no problem there.

Lucas would be a back up, playing out of position as a utility player - not ideal first choice reserve.

Gomes would be 4th - a rookie coming back from a season out injured. It's not an ideal situation, who knows how long he would take to get up to speed?

I'd rather Matip, Lovren, a new CB and Gomez, or would be okay if Gomez had played throughout this season, I just think it is leaving us open to an issue if anything goes wrong.

Matip, Lovren, a fit and available Sakho and Gomez would be fine, for e.g., or Matip, Lovren, Sakho and Lucas, also okay.

Basically, if we sell Skrtel and let Toure go, I think we need to add in a player capable of slotting straight in if needed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Ilori is already gone lads.
    Where?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Liverpool have to pay for damages to OT giving them more money.

Liverpool and Manchester United have been fined by Uefa for illicit chants during their Europa League last-16 tie.

Both clubs have also been punished for throwing of objects by fans and further crowd disturbances, with Liverpool fined £43,577 and United £44,342.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36372274

The club got £90m in PL payments this season.

https://twitter.com/TheAnfieldWrap/status/735119182052761601

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Karius confirmed by the club. He will wear the number 1 shirt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement