Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016, Mod Warning in OP, 10/7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

J Mysterio wrote: »
    This Mane stuff is nonsense. Can we concentrate on positions which really need strengthening? At least with Götze he was world class.

I think most would argue Mane is a better fit for us than Gotze at the moment. 175k per week, chance to play again under the manager who made him the player he is, he's not interested its not worth even thinking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

J Mysterio wrote: »
    This Mane stuff is nonsense. Can we concentrate on positions which really need strengthening? At least with Götze he was world class.

In fairness we are probably going to sign at least one attack minded player. Possibly two depending if they want a direct replacement for Benteke or just stick with what they have. Doesn't matter what order you sign the players in. I'm sure they'll get around to left-backs, central midfielder, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I think, even more so now with the extra influx of money in the PL, it makes very little sense to buy of other English teams. Especially for a player like Mane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Roy is saying now Sturridge came into the squad with the calf strain which is not surprising for anyone who saw him try to run over the last couple of games of the season he couldn't he just strolled around looking like he feared hurting himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

MD1990 wrote: »
    http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-line-up-bid-sadio-11392979

So we could have got in 2014 for 12m but turned him down. Probably because he wasn't PL proven.

This PL proven reason for not signing a player is such ****. If you have scouted the player well enough, you will know if he is a good player or not. If he is good enough he will succeed in any league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Sounds like Bayern are trying to push Gotze out by telling him he won't play much. Not sure Klopp will be a fan of his dithering though if he changes his mind (again).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

This PL proven reason for not signing a player is such ****. If you have scouted the player well enough, you will know if he is a good player or not. If he is good enough he will succeed in any league.

Especially when it's been "PL 9th place proven".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Soton finish 7th.

Everything is still up in the air. Could end up with Gotze and Mane and sell Markovic & Ballotelli (Gala are the latest to be liniked).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Soton finish 7th.

Everything is still up in the air. Could end up with Gotze and Mane and sell Markovic & Ballotelli (Gala are the latest to be liniked).

I was talking about the general approach to "PL proven" transfer targets, rather than Mane and Saints in particular. The point still stands, though. If the club's ambition is top 4 and title challenges, it needs players capable of playing at that level. Signing there best players out of teams a level or two below that is far from there same thing.

• Advertisement

We've just signed a keeper from the team that finished 6th and a centre back from a team that finished 5th, if Mane had been bought from RB Salzburg rather than Soton would that work? RBS won the league by 30 points that year :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

corwill wrote: »
    I was talking about the general approach to "PL proven" transfer targets, rather than Mane and Saints in particular. The point still stands, though. If the club's ambition is top 4 and title challenges, it needs players capable of playing at that level. Signing there best players out of teams a level or two below that is far from there same thing.

I have no problem with us signing players from "Lesser Clubs" that's where most players come from.

They issue is spending large amounts on mediocre players, which could be avoided by reading fan forums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Looking at fan reactions of what happened in the past 24 hours i am glad i have gotten rid of Sky so don't have to see the hype on their sports promo "news" channel :)

38daa30566301eba8a6af758515cd351.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Ibe has been mentioned as a makeweight for Mané I believe. Signing him would make sense if he was Ibe's replacement, rather than the alternative to target Gotze. In truth though, Gotze is a potential world-class addition that the manager knows well who is in the last year of his contract. There aren't any other players matching those criteria, so there's no realistic alternative to him for the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Ibe has been mentioned as a makeweight for Mané I believe. Signing him would make sense if he was Ibe's replacement, rather than the alternative to target Gotze. In truth though, Gotze is a potential world-class addition that the manager knows well who is in the last year of his contract. There aren't any other players matching those criteria, so there's no realistic alternative to him for the money.
    Gotze world class :confused:. I don't think so considering Bayern have about 5 or 6 players ahead of him when u count wingers where Gotze can play.
    For 20m a good signing but I wouldn't be too disapointed in not signing him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

MD1990 wrote: »
    Gotze world class :confused:. I don't think so considering Bayern have about 5 or 6 players ahead of him when u count wingers where Gotze can play.
    For 20m a good signing but I wouldn't be too disapointed in not signing him.

I said 'potential world class'. He certainly has looked it in the past. The question is, has he regressed because he was regularly dropped by Guardiola, or was he regularly dropped by Guardiola because he has regressed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Sappy404 wrote: »
    I said 'potential world class'. He certainly has looked it in the past. The question is, has he regressed because he was regularly dropped by Guardiola, or was he regularly dropped by Guardiola because he has regressed?

Kinda like the chicken and the egg situation.

I'm not sure who to blame for him not playing, but i guess we'll see when Ancelotti comes in.

Mane is an upgrade on Ibe so if deal can be done I'd be ok with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Mane is an upgrade on Ibe so if deal can be done I'd be ok with that.

Tbh we need starters not an improvement on Ibe. Which isn't improving much.

ERG89 wrote: »
    Tbh we need starters not an improvement on Ibe. Which isn't improving much.

We need wingers with pace and strength and Mane offers that without European football we are going to find it hard to get top class players Mane is proven and better than anyone we have in that position right now.

He also has an eye for goal 1 in 3 for a winger in the PL is a very good goal scoring record.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

We need wingers with pace and strength and Mane offers that without European football we are going to find it hard to get top class players Mane is proven and better than anyone we have in that position right now.

He also has an eye for goal 1 in 3 for a winger in the PL is a very good goal scoring record.
    Pace is great but teams can minimise damage playing against pace by playing deeper and compacting the defense and midfield.

A player with good pace and and a decent bit of skill would be better as they can also beat a player as well as forcing them to defend deeper.

Tbh, I'm not sure Mane would be that player and I think we will need that type of player this coming season.

You need a mix and if Ibe out + 15m quid for Mane in is possible I'm for it. Origi is the only play who can stretch a defence since Sturridge got knobbled.

Pace is great but teams can minimise damage playing against pace by playing deeper and compacting the defense and midfield.

A player with good pace and and a decent bit of skill would be better as they can also beat a player as well as forcing them to defend deeper.

Tbh, I'm not sure Mane would be that player and I think we will need that type of player this coming season.

We need to be able to change it up that's something we haven't been able to do for many seasons now.

We have all the number 10's in the world with skill and guile to break down defences but that hasn't done us any favors over the last couple of seasons against teams that sit in we need the battering ram type player to get past those type of teams.

A player with pace and strength that scares defenders as he runs at them.

Mane or a player like him offers something completely different and can be used when needed and he scores goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

is it accepted that Markovic has no future at Liverpool?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

slingerz wrote: »
    I think he will be given pre-season & then a decision will be made. He has talent & I hope Klopp gets him to be more direct & use his pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

slingerz wrote: »

He should be given time next season playing in a position he prefers than been asked to play as a wing back.

I think he can offer something to the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Sturridge not even on the bench for england. Woy loves breaking him

Sturridge won't be going to France now anyway England have a new striking Messiah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

The latest Welbeck?

Sturridge won't be going to France now anyway England have a new striking Messiah.

And they have been saying there would be loads of salt if Rashford goes before Sturridge.

Guess they don't figure most Liverpool fans would prefer that none of the players went away on International duty

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

From your lips to Gods ears....

Though I'm not sure what Fowler can do about it, tbh.

Cameron Brannagan to get new contract, scored a lovely goal against the Sacramento Gold Diggers or whatever they are called the other night.

From your lips to Gods ears....

Though I'm not sure what Fowler can do about it, tbh.

My post needed the Life of Brian he's not the messiah gif just on my phone so can't attach it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Cameron Brannagan to get new contract, scored a lovely goal against the Sacramento Gold Diggers or whatever they are called the other night.

Delighted with that, he has the makings of something special.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

Fwiw I would love for us to sign Mane. He has only turned 24 so a good age and he is explosive and he is someone who is willing to run at defenders which is something we have lacked for years now. I could care less if he plays for Southampton and I don't think our previous dealings with them should affect our decision in the least. We have enough players who are meant to be creating things and not enough to finish things.
    One issue would be the potential of losing him for African nation's duty, I still can't understand how they get away with having an International tourney like that in Jan, but at least if we feel his loss during this period it will mean he has been a success so a bit of a double edged sword.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

And they have been saying there would be loads of salt if Rashford goes before Sturridge.

Guess they don't figure most Liverpool fans would prefer that none of the players went away on International duty

Sturridge in particular. Jose will probably sell Rashford anyway.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Jesus if the fee comes down to £10/£15m he'd be a bargain at that price.

When he turned us down after the £20m was accepted (I think £20m was accepted) I said just move on as there's no point waiting around but at a slashed price it might be worthwhile going back In.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Jesus if the fee comes down to £10/£15m he'd be a bargain at that price.

When he turned us down after the £20m was accepted (I think £20m was accepted) I said just move on as there's no point waiting around but at a slashed price it might be worthwhile going back In.

At that price, it's worth offering an extra 10-15k in wages to see if that'll change his mind. He's still young so if it does go south if wouldn't be impossible to offload him even on a high salary.

I'm pretty sure he's made his mind up that he won't sign for us though. I'd say he's waiting to join Dortmund on a free next season.

• Advertisement

If he doesn't want to play for Liverpool it don't matter how cheap he becomes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

if its true that he turned us down , even at €5 id not go near him again , his mentality says it all if its true , we don't need players like that

again if its true he turned us down , we hear conflicting stories all the time

The way I look at it is we can get him for half the price originally agreed it basically means we can use the other half to pay his wages which is a great deal all around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

It's bild though, tabloidesque? Nothing much will happen until after the Euros anyway. Could all be new contract stuff, they're hardly going to let him go for free in a year.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

...........which is a great deal all around.

If you somehow accept he doesn't want to play for the club / live in Liverpool / whatever the issue is that had him allegedly refusing to proceed days ago.

Someone on £200k ish/week who wasn't really 100% keen on playing for LFC doesn't sound like a great use of £10m ish/annum in wages to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Could this all just be a play from Gotze to drive down his own price so he gets the differential cut back to his own pocket?

Smart from Mario.

• Advertisement

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Could this all just be a play from Gotze to drive down his own price so he gets the differential cut back to his own pocket?

Smart from Mario.

Or walk on a free next season and get a huge up front payment with his next move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Move on from Gotze. It would end up being like that time DiMaria took a career break in Manchester if he signs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I doubt its about money. He's minted anyway. May just be a home bird. Can't see him going back to Dortmund - he's burnt that bridge. I'd say he genuinely wants to fight for his place at Bayern - he's from Bavaria.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

mormank wrote: »
    Fwiw I would love for us to sign Mane. He has only turned 24 so a good age and he is explosive and he is someone who is willing to run at defenders which is something we have lacked for years now. I could care less if he plays for Southampton and I don't think our previous dealings with them should affect our decision in the least. We have enough players who are meant to be creating things and not enough to finish things.
    One issue would be the potential of losing him for African nation's duty, I still can't understand how they get away with having an International tourney like that in Jan, but at least if we feel his loss during this period it will mean he has been a success so a bit of a double edged sword.

That would be a hemispherical issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Turtyturd wrote: »
    The latest Welbeck?

No

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement