Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016, Mod Warning in OP, 10/7

Comments

RoboKlopp wrote: »

Coutinho is massively important if we want to kick on under Klopp

12 goals in 43 app, 8 of those goals in 26 PL apps, as you say massively important.

We need the likes of Firmino, Coutinho & Sturridge, any of the 3 are would be a huge loss.

Re Sterling, he wanted out and we got a decent price, Firmino replaced his goals in his first season in the team. Not too bad a situation imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I'm positive anyway, I really don't think Phil is ready to leave and he knows this too. If Raheem Sterling went for £50m we can not sell him for any less than that if it were to happen.

I'm just not comfortable with selling our best players season after season, we all know Coutinho will leave some day to greater things but this season is too soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Theres no positive spin for selling coutinho. Selling our best players every year just makes us look weaker and weaker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Celtic to throw in a cheeky bid for him along with the offer of a couple of games in the CL (Maybe)

Fack off!

Where does this sh1te come from anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭xabi

ricero wrote: »
    Theres no positive spin for selling coutinho. Selling our best players every year just makes us look weaker and weaker

Is this you?

https://twitter.com/musker_lfc/status/738447640594153472

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Tusky wrote: »
    Amazed at people's nonchalance at losing Coutiniho. He is 23 years old and already our best player.

We have a terrible, painful record of selling our best players and failing to replace them...Torres, Mascherano, Alonso, Suarez, Sterling.

Selling these guys and not properly replacing them is the reason we have slipped further down the table in recent seasons. We need to keep hold of our best players and surround them with better players.

Theres a slight difference here though. I could see countinho falling out of our best 11 if we have a couple of good transfer windows. The same couldnt be said of the others you mentioned, except sterling maybe...

He needs to be a hell of a lot more consistent if he wants to be a starting player for a top 4 epl team.

Theres a slight difference here though. I could see countinho falling out of our best 11 if we have a couple of good transfer windows. The same couldnt be said of the others you mentioned, except sterling maybe...

He needs to be a hell of a lot more consistent if he wants to be a starting player for a top 4 epl team.

He doesnt have to be first 11 every week though. We want competition for first 11.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Some more positive news is that reports are saying we are close to signing german lb jonas hector and chelsea are considering bidding for benteke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Be very happy to see Jonas Hector join, deffo one of the Bundesliga's top full back's. Described as the poor mans's David Alaba. That'll do me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

ricero wrote: »
    Some more positive news is that reports are saying we are close to signing german lb jonas hector and chelsea are considering bidding for benteke

Mutually exclusive terms in this the off-season of idiocy and conjecture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Cash along with Lucas Moura & Matuidi coming this way in any deal for Coutinho then I'd be ok with him going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Amazed at people's nonchalance at losing Coutiniho. He is 23 years old and already our best player.

We have a terrible, painful record of selling our best players and failing to replace them...Torres, Mascherano, Alonso, Suarez, Sterling.

Selling these guys and not properly replacing them is the reason we have slipped further down the table in recent seasons. We need to keep hold of our best players and surround them with better players.

Indeed. And to be honest I don't think anything around 50 million should even remotely be considered.

I would only let him go if he was a) Threatening to down tools, and b) There was an offer of 70+ million on the table.

I don't think either of those are terribly likely though, so I would rather we offer him an improved contract and keep him.

We can't sell this summer...we just can't. Not after losing so many of our best over the past few years. If we don't start actually building now, we never will.

I'd love us to start the summer off with a bang, do something noteworthy straight off the bat. 35+ million bid for James Rodriguez for instance.

I'd be more arsed if he turned up more often for the big games, he was poor in both finals all things considered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I'd be more arsed if he turned up more often for the big games, he was poor in both finals all things considered.
    Was that because he was targeted more in both games though?

I thought Sevilla did a brilliant job in closing him down and cutting out his forward passing options.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

Harsh, he scored the equaliser in the L cup final and recently has a good scoring record against the "big" teams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

He was brilliant against Dortmund.

He's inconsistent but he's 23 that will come in time. You can't get his talent with experience and, imo, he's the most talented player in the squad. If Sterling was sold for 50 mill then I wouldn't sell Coutinho for less than 100 mill because he's twice the player Raheem is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

While I agree with the sentiment of this post I just couldn't let it slide that you had put Torres in there when we both know he was the one who wasn't just replaced but actually improved upon. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

mormank wrote: »
    While I agree with the sentiment of this post I just couldn't let it slide that you had put Torres in there when we both know he was the one who wasn't just replaced but actually improved upon. :o

Sorry but Suarez was not bought as a Torres replacement. It was definitely Andy Carroll on that crazy day in January 2011.

Regardless of how Torres did at Chelsea it was the first of where our best players found LFC not good or big enough to warrant staying around and it's something that FSG should be stopping.
    Selling Coutinho would just confirm our position as a selling club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Who we have lost in the last 5 years

2009 Alonso
    2010 Masherano
    2011 Torres
    2013 Carragher
    2014 Suarez
    2015 Sterling and Gerrard

That's actually something else. I know we generated 225M from the sales,but loosing our icons and top players year after year is tough.

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »
    Sorry but Suarez was not bought as a Torres replacement. It was definitely Andy Carroll on that crazy day in January 2011.

Regardless of how Torres did at Chelsea it was the first of where our best players found LFC not good or big enough to warrant staying around and it's something that FSG should be stopping.
    Selling Coutinho would just confirm our position as a selling club.

I don't mean replaced in the sense that Torres was sold and then we thought, **** we need to replace him and bought Suarez, but Torres was replaced or improved upon whereas every other name on that list we have not had anyone as good or imo even close to as good as the players lost. Torres is the exception in that his goals and influence on the team were replaced and improved upon, whether it was by accident or design is up for debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Who we have lost in the last 5 years

2009 Alonso
    2010 Masherano
    2011 Torres
    2013 Carragher
    2014 Suarez
    2015 Sterling and Gerrard

That's actually something else. I know we generated 225M from the sales,but loosing our icons and top players year after year is tough.

Gerrard was getting on and Carra retired. Alonso might have stayed if not for Benitez wanting Barry. Mascherano, Torres (who was sold at the right time) Suarez and Sterling all wanted to leave and all were sold for very good money.

Granted you don't want to become a selling club but if a player wants to leave and there is a good offer on the table you have to take it, player power is so strong that you can't do much if a player wants to leave especially to Real/Barca.

If Liverpool get 50 million for Coutinho it's extremely good business but I don't see him leaving for anyone outside Barca/Real/Bayern and even then I think it would be another season at the earliest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

duffman13 wrote: »
    Gerrard was getting on and Carra retired. Alonso might have stayed if not for Benitez wanting Barry. Mascherano, Torres (who was sold at the right time) Suarez and Sterling all wanted to leave and all were sold for very good money.

Granted you don't want to become a selling club but if a player wants to leave and there is a good offer on the table you have to take it, player power is so strong that you can't do much if a player wants to leave especially to Real/Barca.

If Liverpool get 50 million for Coutinho it's extremely good business but I don't see him leaving for anyone outside Barca/Real/Bayern and even then I think it would be another season at the earliest.
    In 2004, Liverpool had signed Alonso from under the noses of Real Madrid. At the time Madrid had a deal in principle to sign the player from Sociedad but they were too focused on trying to sign Patrick Vieira from Arsenal to close the deal. Alonso was their plan B at the time.

It wasn't a case of a fall out between the manager and player causing Alonso to leave, he was always going to go to Madrid when an offer was made. Benitez knew that Real Madrid were coming in for him so he tried to sign Barry in preparation and generate interest from other clubs (e.g. Juventus) to ensure the club got a decent price for the player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Talisman wrote: »
    In 2004, Liverpool had signed Alonso from under the noses of Real Madrid. At the time Madrid had a deal in principle to sign the player from Sociedad but they were too focused on trying to sign Patrick Vieira from Arsenal to close the deal. Alonso was their plan B at the time.

It wasn't a case of a fall out between the manager and player causing Alonso to leave, he was always going to go to Madrid when an offer was made. Benitez knew that Real Madrid were coming in for him so he tried to sign Barry in preparation and generate interest from other clubs (e.g. Juventus) to ensure the club got a decent price for the player.

Fair enough, not a pool fan but I usually see it peddled that Rafa fancied Barry more but yeah your post above would make way more sense to any rational football supporter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

Save me going through the last few pages please! Where is the Coutinho stuff coming from and are they reliable? Any sort of figures being banded about?
    PSG make contact with Liverpool star Coutinho: And two other clubs show interest

Given that it's Paul Joyce reporting the story I would think it's reliable. He had the Gotze story back in March so it would seem somebody at the club keeps him in the loop.

Talisman wrote: »

I was gonna say something similar. I really think it's about time people stopped holding it against Benitez that Alonso left. For all we know Alonso used the Barry rumours as an easy excuse to get out of Liverpool. Even if he didn't, we would have gotten another or two tops from Alonso before he left for Madrid. His form in his final season alone would have seen to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Lads, we knew it was only a matter of time until someone came in for Coutinho. I hope we can keep him, but he is clearly a player of Champions League ability, and if we can't offer that, we really don't have a leg to stand on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Coutinho blows hot and cold all the time. He's great one week, then for the next five he's anonymous. If someone came in with a 50-60m offer for him I'd take it no problem. Technically we could get (or could have got ) Goetze, Gundogan and Jonas Hector for that money.

Obviously Coutinho isn't obliged to respond to transfer rumours but when he faces the press in the run up to the Copa he'll be asked, what he says or doesn't may tell us something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I'd bloody hate to lose Coutinho, he's class. We should be building teams around him, not selling him.

Agh! :mad: Teams are (or should) be built around the system not a player. Players come and go or get injured, the system should be king.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Lads, we knew it was only a matter of time until someone came in for Coutinho. I hope we can keep him, but he is clearly a player of Champions League ability, and if we can't offer that, we really don't have a leg to stand on.

We kept Suarez for another year, if the club just dig their heels in, nobody has to leave. I thought all of us would know that after what happened with Konoplyanka (everything was sorted to make the deal happen, but Dnipro simply said NO).

I'm in the "keep him under any circumstances" camp on this one. If we sell him, I know for a fact he will not be adequately replaced, we've fallen for that one so many times where we expect someone equally as good to come in, but they just don't. We replaced Alonso with Aquilani, Mascherano with Poulsen/Meireles, Torres with Carroll (Suarez deal was going to happen regardless), Suarez with Balotelli, Sterling with nobody but I'm ok with that one but worst of all we never made any real attempt to replace arguably our best player ever.

Unless we bring in Götze first, I'd be making it very clear to Coutinho that he's not going anywhere. Successful clubs don't become successful by letting their stars go every summer and turning over a good net spend.

Its the principal of it though, we are one of the richest clubs in the world we just cant keep selling our best players season after season. Sterling and now Coutinho would be a real blow.

I know a £60m bid or something stupid like that would be a real hard fee to turn down for a player we paid £8m for but I just get the feeling with Phil that his major season is going to come where he becomes a real consistent match winner and can go on and be the leagues player of the year. No one can deny he hasn't got the potential to do that.

Personally I don't see him pushing for a move anyway, does seem that type of guy and he is probably waiting for Real or Barca, the real dream of any South American player.

Keegan, Souness, Rush, Aldridge, McManaman, Owen Liverpool has always sold there best players there is nothing new about this in recent years.

martyos121 wrote: »
    ....We replaced....Sterling with nobody.....

Firmino surely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Would definitely keep hold of him, undoubtedly our best player since Suarez left, and the best player in the league for the last 2 seasons, there's that sense of excitement and unpredictability when he gets on the ball that none of our other players provide.

But if he was to go this summer I don't think it's the disaster it would have been pre Klopp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭price690

Linked with Jordan Amavi from Villa. Would be a very shrewd signing this.

Got a bad injury early into his Villa career but he has massive potential, if he gets back to full fitness we would have an absolute gem on our hands. Potentially one of the best left backs in Europe, certainly the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Would definitely keep hold of him, undoubtedly our best player since Suarez left, and the best player in the league for the last 2 seasons, there's that sense of excitement and unpredictability when he gets on the ball that none of our other players provide.

But if he was to go this summer I don't think it's the disaster it would have been pre Klopp.

wha??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Its a little amusing that we criticise Coutinho for blowing hot and cold all the time, yet he's still arguably our best player, and the Club's Player of The Year for the past two seasons.

If anything, that highlights how we have a dearth in top quality players and need to retain the ones that we do have, as best we can. Unless PSG offer something stupid, in the 80-100m region, I don't think we have enough about us to sell, tbh.

We may have Klopp, but with no CL football are we really going to get a player better than Coutinho in, or even at the same level? I very much doubt it, unfortunately.

price690 wrote: »
    Linked with Jordan Amavi from Villa. Would be a very shrewd signing this.

Got a bad injury early into his Villa career but he has massive potential, if he gets back to full fitness we would have an absolute gem on our hands. Potentially one of the best left backs in Europe, certainly the league.

Don't get this at all - is the club collecting left backs? Chillwell is surely the "development" player this season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭price690

Don't get this at all - is the club collecting left backs? Chillwell is surely the "development" player this season.

Amavi would be improving our first XI straight away. I remember when Villa signed him people were shocked and it was a question of how long they would be able to hold onto him. His injury obviously took him out of the limelight.

These are the signings that see us move on a level, under the radar, and not top bracket in terms of fee. The type of signing we should be making more regularly. Now watch him sign for Sevilla and then join Barca for 30 million next summer :p

https://twitter.com/LFC/status/738650130065305600
    Happy 124th birthday to us!

https://twitter.com/AnfieldHQ/status/738674667221876736
    'I'd be surprised if Coutinho wanted to leave and amazed if Liverpool agreed to sell.' #lfc (James Pearce)

https://twitter.com/melissareddy_/status/738688816534433792
    #LFC set to bat away approaches for Phil Coutinho, with PSG aware they'd face a brick wall

Video of Coutinho, Firmino and Moreno checking up on Sakho's work on the Main Stand and doing a bit of work on it themselves.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/stadium-expansion/223832-free-video-coutinho-firmino-and-moreno-check-up-on-main-stand-progress

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Agh! :mad: Teams are (or should) be built around the system not a player. Players come and go or get injured, the system should be king.

You're right. We should be building the system around Coutinho, not selling him.

LFC set to bat away approaches for Phil Coutinho, with PSG aware they'd face a brick wall

We're sending Sakho out to fight his home club on behalf of The Liverpool Country.

Just thought of this... Remember how bad Sakho was in the League Cup final when he had to go off with the concussion?

He must be raging after the Europa Final, considering the recent findings. Two finals ruined in one year. I'm not even sure he was in any finals himself prior to this year?

Edit: French Cup final 2010. Started CB.

So his first final in 6 years, he comes off injured almost straight away, and his 2nd, he gets wrongly banned for. He'll be knocking walls over this summer instead of painting them.

Happy birthday :)

Liverpool_football_Club_formed.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Just on Coutinho going, he's one of those players you'd miss more when he's gone a season or 2.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

monkey9 wrote: »
    I'd bloody hate to lose Coutinho, he's class. We should be building teams around him, not selling him.

It would be a very bad look for the club to continue to sell one of it's top players every Summer. Suarez, Sterling and now possibly Coutinho. Christ even Everton don't sell their top players every Summer. Eventually you have to draw the line somewhere if you want to progress.

It would be a very bad look for the club to continue to sell one of it's top players every Summer. Suarez, Sterling and now possibly Coutinho. Christ even Everton don't sell their top players every Summer. Eventually you have to draw the line somewhere if you want to progress.

That's it Everton resisted £40m last summer for Stones!

If Madrid or Barcelona come calling for any player its really hard to stand in their way if they meet the asking price, outside of that our stance should be no.

Coutinho blows hot and cold, but he is a match winner we cant lose right now. It's the big games he generally shows up in too not hammering some relegation fodder.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement