Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016, Mod Warning in OP, 10/7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Happy birthday :)

Liverpool_football_Club_formed.jpg

"Where were you when we were you?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Everton on the verge of appointing an actual good manager in Koeman, huge competition in the league next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,202 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

rob316 wrote:
    Everton on the verge of appointing an actual good manager in Koeman, huge competition in the league next season.

Surprising for him to leave Southampton seems like a backwards step

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

I get the feeling that Firmino was bought last year as a replacement for Coutinho. Plan was probably give him year to bed in & then sell Continho and we are still covered. However they are very different players.

Certainly one between countinho, Lallana and Firmino have to go. I would prefer Lallana to be sold.

Coutinho is a magican. He is easily going to be one of the best players in the world in the coming years. We have money we don't have to sell.

one or things about klopp are slightly worrying and if he lets coutinho go then I would start to get worried

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

paulie21 wrote: »

Everton have huge backing now with that new owner, have promised him £100m plus 100% of what Lukaku is sold for. Or he can stay at Southampton and watch his squad get picked apart this summer again.

Makes perfect sense for me. A shame though I like Southampton and Koeman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

paulie21 wrote: »

Doubling his wages apparently. Money can make most men move sideways or even backwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Would definitely keep hold of him, undoubtedly our best player since Suarez left, and the best player in the league for the last 2 seasons

:eek::eek::eek:

Riyad Mahrez says hello :pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭price690

rob316 wrote: »

I think Koeman is vastly overrated as a manager to be honest.

His record pre Southampton isn't hectic to be honest, his league record with Valencia and Benfica is pretty poor and he doesn't really spend too long anywhere either.

Theres a perception that he has overachieved with Southampton aswell but Southampton were in decent nick when he took over. Seeing how they fare next season would be a true test of his managerial mettle.

Wouldn't be worried about this appointment to be honest.

Bowlardo wrote: »
    I get the feeling that Firmino was bought last year as a replacement for Coutinho. Plan was probably give him year to bed in & then sell Continho and we are still covered...........

one or things about klopp are slightly worrying and if he lets coutinho go then I would start to get worried

I dunno, if that is/was the plan than it's FSGs not Klopp's.

I always thought Lallana & Coutinho on the pitch together wouldn't work, add in Firmino and on paper it really shouldn't work but it seems to and the issues are either behind them in CM/DM or ahead of them when Origi or Sturridge weren't playing.

I'd prefer to play 2 of the 3 in most PL games and have either two strikers in front of them or a winger to complement the 2 with one striker ahead.

As bad as no EL/CL next season is it does present a huge opportunity for Klopp to work with the squad on the training field and all going well we could be heading into European Comp 2017/2018 (CL fingers crossed) looking like we belong there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

It would be a very bad look for the club to continue to sell one of it's top players every Summer. Suarez, Sterling and now possibly Coutinho. Christ even Everton don't sell their top players every Summer. Eventually you have to draw the line somewhere if you want to progress.
    You make it sound like the club were out selling Suarez, Sterling and now Coutinho. They weren't/aren't. If top players get tapped up by Barcelona, City or PSG offering lot's more cash and a much higher chance of regularly winning silverware plus CL participation what can LFC do? The only realistic way to hold onto such players is to make sure we make the CL virtually every year and are challenging for the PL on a regular basis but how can we do that if our best players keep leaving...................

I'd say having Klopp as manager is our best chance to break the "best player leaving at the end of the season" cycle but the window will probably only last two years and that would be contingent on at least making top four next year. If we're going into the 2017/18 season without CL and we haven't at least won a cup it'll be very hard to persuade the likes of Coutinho or even Sturridge (if he's had a relatively injury free season) that their careers are best served staying at Liverpool.

....... If we're going into the 2017/18 season without CL and we haven't at least won a cup it'll be very hard to persuade the likes of Coutinho or even Sturridge (if he's had a relatively injury free season) that their careers are best served staying at Liverpool.

I'd add Firmino and Can to that list and perhaps Clyne & Origi too.

We need a really convincing top4 challenge next season.

All considered not getting CL may not be too bad depending how the season pans out as it might well be really competitive.

Really need to there there or thereabouts though.

Bowlardo wrote: »
    Coutinho is a magican. He is easily going to be one of the best players in the world in the coming years. We have money we don't have to sell.

I just don't get this attitude. What do you think Klopp or any other person at LFC can do if Coutinho says he's decided to move to PSG and doesn't want to play for LFC any more? Force him to stay against his will so he's demotivated and plays $h1t like Eden Hazard this season with Chelsea? That's a lose lose for both club and player who will probably leave the following year but for less money as he has a year less left in his career and his recent form will have been cr@p.

I know Utd more or less forced DDG to stay and we forced Suarez to stay but they are very exceptional circumstances, Suarez left the following summer and DDG may well leave this summer to join Madrid although with Jose joining Utd he may well hang around for a spin on that roller coaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Jesus this thread has been absolutely worthless for the last week or so.

price690 wrote: »
    I think Koeman is vastly overrated as a manager to be honest.

His record pre Southampton isn't hectic to be honest, his league record with Valencia and Benfica is pretty poor and he doesn't really spend too long anywhere either.

Theres a perception that he has overachieved with Southampton aswell but Southampton were in decent nick when he took over. Seeing how they fare next season would be a true test of his managerial mettle.

Wouldn't be worried about this appointment to be honest.

You're honest, I'll give you that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Jesus this thread has been absolutely worthless for the last week or so.

Thats because I haven't been posting much. Sorry.

:P:P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

I dont get this attitude of "Coutinho will be one of the best players in the world"

He is a great player dont get me wrong. Easily OUR best player. But he strikes me as someone who will be "almost" one of the best rather than "one of the best", when we look back at his career.

Can be very inconsistent at times. He was told he needs to add goals to his locker but instead just became a little greedy and costs us chances at times by taking a shot instead of laying someone on who might have a better chance.

As I said OUR best player but if we got a bid of 50+ I would seriously consider it. We have too many players that, their best position in number 10. We have Lallana, Firmino and Coutinho. The other two wouldnt fetch half what Coutinho would but still do a good job as number 10 so I would take the 50+ and use it towards upgrading our flanks and defensive mid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

I'd much prefer to sell Lallana for 10 million than sell Couthino for even 100 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Mr.H wrote: »
    I dont get this attitude of "Coutinho will be one of the best players in the world"

He is a great player dont get me wrong. Easily OUR best player. But he strikes me as someone who will be "almost" one of the best rather than "one of the best", when we look back at his career.

Can be very inconsistent at times. He was told he needs to add goals to his locker but instead just became a little greedy and costs us chances at times by taking a shot instead of laying someone on who might have a better chance.

As I said OUR best player but if we got a bid of 50+ I would seriously consider it. We have too many players that, their best position in number 10. We have Lallana, Firmino and Coutinho. The other two wouldnt fetch half what Coutinho would but still do a good job as number 10 so I would take the 50+ and use it towards upgrading our flanks and defensive mid.

I would dispute this and argue that Sturridge on his day is our best player.
    His injury record should not be held against him when judging this.

We should sell Coutinho and reinvest in potential.

Why break a winning method

mav79 wrote: »
    I'd much prefer to sell Lallana for 10 million than sell Couthino for even 100 million.

Problem is if we sold Lallana for 10 million we wouldnt be able to afford to bring in someone that would be an upgrade in another position

If we sold Coutinho for 100 million we would definitely be able to upgrade another position with that cash

*I am not sugegsting that your figures are reaslistic but my point still stands. From what we would make from Coutinho we could upgrade and make the first team stronger (even without Coutinho in it) than if we sold Lallana/Firmino

For example we could sell Coutinho for 50, buy Gotze for 20 and have 30 million left over to buy a wide man in the ilk of Mane. The squad and first team would right away be stronger than it is with Coutinho (and not buying Gotze and Mane)
    murpho999 wrote: »
    I would dispute this and argue that Sturridge on his day is our best player.
    His injury record should not be held against him when judging this.

i tend to agree but unfortunately his injury record does knock him back a little.

But I dont mind if you wanna rate him more than Coutinho its a pointless argument.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

The thing is, we are not close to administration anymore. There is no need to sell Couthino to buy a better wide player or midfielder. All we are doing is weakening the team. Replace the weaker players in the team with better players rather than selling one of the best. We have enough players that cant get into the first eleven that could be sold well before one of our best players.

Replace the weaker players in the team with better players rather than selling one of the best.

Amen

...... He was told he needs to add goals to his locker but instead just became a little greedy and costs us chances at times by taking a shot instead of laying someone on who might have a better chance..........

Very harsh and the instead isn't at all the case....

2013 debut half season
    3 of those goals in 13 PL apps

2013/2014
    5 goals in 37 app, all 5 of those goals in 33 PL apps (goal every 7.4 apps)

2014/2015
    8 goals in 52 app, 5 of those goals in 35 PL apps (goal every 6.5 apps)

2015/2016
    12 goals in 43 app, 8 of those goals in 26 PL apps (goal every 3.6 apps)

He has most definitely improved his goalscoring and hopefully he stays with us, plays plenty games and score plenty more.

Greed is a trait in most decent attackers.

I do see your point as detailed in the financial figs you mention but he has improved his goalscoring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Would would you like to see us sign this summer. I honestly have no idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Messi, Neymar & Suarez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭Damien360

"Augeo wrote: »

Greed is a trait in most decent attackers.

I do see your point as detailed in the financial figs you mention but he has improved his goalscoring.

I think that is unfair. If another employer offered you a 50% increase over your current employer and better working conditions (CL), you would be on the next plane out of here.

He is entitled to claim his full value. We are not a club entitled to keep talent as we have won nothing in a long time. PL winners and those competing in CL every year are entitled to feel hard done by when someone wants out. Not us. We will remain a so until we start winning.

Edit: re-read your post and you were defending him also

Damien360 wrote: »
    I think that is unfair. If another employer offered you a 50% increase over your current employer and better working conditions (CL), you would be on the next plane out of here.

He is entitled to claim his full value. We are not a club entitled to keep talent as we have won nothing in a long time. PL winners and those competing in CL every year are entitled to feel hard done by when someone wants out. Not us. We will remain a so until we start winning.

Edit: re-read your post and you were defending him also

just to point out my mention of greed is in reference to on the pitch terms in response to "became a little greedy and costs us chances at times by taking a shot instead of laying someone on who might have a better chance.........."

Great attackers will usually fancy themselves to score rather than lay it off unless someone has an empty net to pass the ball into, hard to criticise attackers for being greedy imo, if they weren't their own haul would be sh1t.

Arturo Vidal :D

OK maybe I am coming off a little harsh on Phil. Im just sick of falling in love with these f#ckers only for them to p### off on us. It started with Micky. Fair enough he didnt believe Rafa would be class and boy did he miss out on a great season. Then fast forward to Masherano (another favourite of mine) who went on f##king strike the fecker. Then Alonso (albeit not his fault as Rafa did push him out. Then Torres followed by Suarez and then Sterling. All favourite players that I loved and they all fecked off on us.

So my new mindset is I love the club and not just fall for the players. We will move on regardless of who wants to leave.

That been said maybe I jumped the gun and got a little insecure about little Phil. I still stand by everything I said.

I would be delighted if he stays and we buy quality to add to him, but I just wouldnt be devo if he was sold and it meant we brought in a couple of players that made us better.

Coutinho is a better player than Mahrez but who has a league title? We dont need world class players, we just need a world class "team"

I would be delighted if he stays and we buy quality to add to him, but I just wouldnt be devo if he was sold and it meant we brought in a couple of players that made us better.

I hear you & 100% agree.

At his age he should command a serious transfer fee but bringing in the couple that make us better is the seemingly perennial tricky bit.

• Advertisement

The thing is, we are not close to administration anymore. There is no need to sell Couthino to buy a better wide player or midfielder. All we are doing is weakening the team. Replace the weaker players in the team with better players rather than selling one of the best. We have enough players that cant get into the first eleven that could be sold well before one of our best players.
    Again, another post which seems to assume that it's LFC/FSG proactively selling Coutinho rather than PSG opening the cheque vook for him and him wanting to go.

Your point would be relevant if FSG were off shopping Coutinho to the highest bidder but no one is even suggesting that's the case. the rumour is PSG want him, they'll probably offer to double his wages and guarantee him French league winners medals every year plus a decent tilt at the CL.

How could any young Brazilian talented player with absolutely no connection to Liverpool prior to joining a few years ago resist that other than he sees the direction Klopp is heading in and wants to be part of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,490 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Sell Coutinho for 50m
    You could sell 50m of deadwood in squad instead...

Easily to add it up to, too easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Amen
    Surely too good to be true. Let's stick with the tried and trusted method of selling good players and using the proceeds to replace them with 3 mediocre players :D

Sell Coutinho for 50m
    You could sell 50m of deadwood in squad instead...

And how doe selling £50m of deadwood alter the fact Coutinho may decide he no longer wants to play for LFC and wants to join PSG?

Augeo wrote: »
    I hear you & 100% agree.

At his age he should command a serious transfer fee but bringing in the couple that make us better is the seemingly perennial tricky bit.
    Sell Coutinho for 50m
    You sell 50m of deadwood in squad instead...

See this is the thing that I worry about. Our history of selling players for less than their actual value, and our history of buying way about market value.

Arguments can be made for getting possibly too much for Sterling and maybe about fair for Suarez.

But the fees we got for Masherano and Alonso where ridiculous. Not to mention the prices we paid for Keane Carroll Aqua and the amount we sold them for.

We got 50 for Torres fair enough but last minute deal and in his couple of seasons prior to it we should have been getting at least 50. That was a fair enough deal only to find out it was "the cost of Carroll plus 15".................. I mean ffs

IF and I mean IF we sell Coutinho I hope we realise the cards are in our hands. We name our price and dont budge. They match then fair enough, they dont then too bad. I would also prefer to get players in before he left as him leaving for 50 million makes every player coming to us 50 million

And how doe selling £50m of deadwood alter the fact Coutinho may decide he no longer wants to play for LFC and wants to join PSG?

100 million :D

Coutinho is a nice guy, signed his new contract without any hesitation. He's a team player and comes across as a guy that would not leave now if Liverpool wanted him to stay.
    And if you did sell the deadwood

Balotelli 3m
    Skrtel 7m
    Lallana 15m
    Ibe 5m
    Allen 12m
    Moreno 8m
    Toure 0

If you got rid of these guys one could bring in a quality midfielder a left back and a centre back. I'd take 3 good player for that 7.
    It would paint a picture to Coutinho too that we are looking to progress and challenge for title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Coutinho is a nice guy, signed his new contract without any hesitation. He's a team player and comes across as a guy that would not leave now if Liverpool wanted him to stay.

Balotelli 3m
    Skrtel 7m
    Lallana 15m
    Ibe 5m
    Allen 12m
    Moreno 8m

Toure 0

If you got rid of these guys one could bring in a quality midfielder a left back and a centre back. I'd take 3 good player for that 7.
    It would paint a picture to Coutinho too that we are looking to progress and challenge for title.

Wouldn't sell any of these.

Balotelli 3m
    Skrtel 7m
    Lallana 15m
    Ibe 5m
    Allen 12m
    Moreno 8m
    Toure 0

Plus you could factor in we need to reduce our squad size massively next season as we dont have any european football

Whats your opinion on Markovic? would you give him a chance under Klopp?

Marko Coutinho firmino
    Sturridge

Nice front 4 right there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

Coutinho is a better player than Mahrez but who has a league title? We dont need world class players, we just need a world class "team"

No he is not a better player, Coutinho has never reached the levels Mahrez reached this season & on a consistent basis.

Consistency.., that is Coutinho's big downfall.

People talking 50mil... Are they crazy? Take hand and all for him.

Edit: I hope you weren't referring to Coutinho either as world class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Chesty08 wrote: »
    No he is not a better player, Coutinho has never reached the levels Mahrez reached this season & on a consistent basis.

If you think Mahrez is a better player than Coutinho you're insane.

Also people want to get rid of Lallana?? Thats also insane. He was one of our better players last year and while frustrating at times he's shown he's a good weapon coming off the bench. I'm hoping he's not a nailed on starter next year but to ship him out would be an awful move. Thankfully there is no chance that he goes.

Re: Klopp being enough to convince players to stay when bigger clubs come calling. It wasn't when he was at Dortmund who were winning leagues so it won't be here. We're in the b leagues atm (maybe even c) and players will leave for bigger better things if they can. If we can buy players who fit the system then we'll have an easier job replacing them than hoping to hit on another Suarez.

Chesty08 wrote: »

Firstly I referred to Coutinho as inconsistent!!

Secondly I dont like calling people "world class" as it is a subjective and pointless term. I used the term in the meaning of, I would prefer a "world class team" rather than a "world class player". For example Leicester city shown they where a "world class(very debatable but unimportant) team" full of what you wouldnt call "world class players".

Mahrez himself has been inconsistent this season but has had a lot of stand out performances and probably more in one season than Coutinho has in any given season. But!! Coutinho is a better player hands down. Vardy scored more goals in the league than Rooney ever has in one season. Is Vardy better than Rooney?? Hell no. He may be a great striker but Rooney is a better player without doubt.

As for 50 million that is teh figure most articles go with when referring to him going. Taking his age contract length and the fact he has been there or there abouts for more than one season (ahem* Mahrez)........................

Mahrez has had one brilliant season. So did Papise Cisse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'm thinking of unfollowing this thread and every football related resource and just finding out on day one of next season who we've signed and let go. Since Twitter came along, I feel like I'm reading the Hello magazine of football everywhere I look.

Plus you could factor in we need to reduce our squad size massively next season as we dont have any european football.........

And than increase it massively again for the following season?

Honestly, I dont know if I can follow this thread anymore. It's great during the season and ive veen contributing regularly for a while now buts its just open season for retarded posts at the moment.

Lets sell our best players!

We dont need Coutinho, Lallana etc.

Do ye actually follow Liverpool? FFS!

Lets sell all our players and buy everyone else! I can't cope.

• Advertisement

Grayditch wrote: »
    I'm thinking of unfollowing this thread and every football related resource and just finding out on day one of next season who we've signed and let go. Since Twitter came along, I feel like I'm reading the Hello magazine of football everywhere I look.

I just actually read your post after my rant. One of the few posts i've read in the last week or so. Most i've just read the first few words and just spammed myself. What the feck is going on here for gods sake?!

Edit:
    Even worse, SSN are breaking with Ibrahimovic to United. AAAAH

Plus you could factor in we need to reduce our squad size massively next season as we dont have any european football

Whats your opinion on Markovic? would you give him a chance under Klopp?

Marko Coutinho firmino
    Sturridge

Nice front 4 right there

Can tell a lot about a player by looking into his eyes and talking to him. Its the same in any job. He's a bit clueless if you ask me. Not a winner, not a clever footballer.
    He has talent and skill, but no desire or brain . Deserves his chance though.

Honestly, I dont know if I can follow this thread anymore. It's great during the season and ive veen contributing regularly for a while now buts its just open season for retarded posts at the moment.

I've followed Lallana into the box, only for him to do a 180 and run out of the box. He has improved though. His fear of getting into positions to score need to stop! He's afraid to miss, his answer is to avoid the situation.

when-someone-tells-me-they-don-amp-039-t-like-any-of-my-posts_o_1709553.jpg

OK maybe I am coming off a little harsh on Phil. Im just sick of falling in love with these f#ckers only for them to p### off on us. It started with Micky. Fair enough he didnt believe Rafa would be class and boy did he miss out on a great season. Then fast forward to Masherano (another favourite of mine) who went on f##king strike the fecker. Then Alonso (albeit not his fault as Rafa did push him out. Then Torres followed by Suarez and then Sterling. All favourite players that I loved and they all fecked off on us.

So my new mindset is I love the club and not just fall for the players. We will move on regardless of who wants to leave.

That been said maybe I jumped the gun and got a little insecure about little Phil. I still stand by everything I said.

Was thinking the very same recently but with a slightly different take on it.

I hated seeing players leave, and Suarez hurt more than any, which is sad considering my age. But I would quickly forget about them as it's the club I support.

However, when you see the list of special players we've sold over the years it made me realise, for the first time, that we are effectively a feeder club for bigger teams. That really saddens me. I was blinded by my desire for LFC.

If the club thought about selling Coutinho, especially at his age, then I would be concerned about their ambition. He's our best player. Why would we sell him ? Even £70 million means nothing as it doesn't guarantee replacing him.

How will we ever win the league again if we spend time finding good players and then have no problem selling them before we get a chance to ADD to the team and get the best years from these players.

It's a nonsense to think we can win the league again without keeping our best players for their best years.

I understand it's possible but it just makes the task harder than it already is. A stance needs to be taken.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement