Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2016, Mod Warning in OP, 10/7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

WarZ wrote: »
    It will be most definitely. One thing I respect hugely about Liverpool is that they don't attempt to buy their way to success and instead build a culture. They try to promote from within and when they do sign players a lot of the time they are players that still have a lot to grow and are given time to truly adopt and breathe the club. United have lost their way since the era of Beckham, Scholes, Giggs and Neville. For me they've become another Chelsea or Manchester City.

Klopp is the perfect fit for a club like Liverpool

I'd have to disagree with you on that, they're nothing like those two. They're still bringing through young players and although Mourinho doesn't care about nurturing young players and leaving legacies, he won't be able to ignore, nor indeed will he want to, the claims of Rashford for a starting place.

All the money he'll spend during his tenure will be money naturally generated as they are a huge huge club. Man City and Chelsea are artificial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Our bid would be rejected, but Arsenals wouldn't. The clause only applies to bidders from the Champions League.

If we bid the same amount, there'd be no reason to reject the bid, the player would simply choose between us and them. They'll end up with £20m regardless.

I'm not too pushed about him going to Arsenal though, he's close to 30 and his pace will be gone sooner rather than later. Vardy without pace is no better than any of our strikers, he's so heavily reliant on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

monkey9 wrote: »
    I'd have to disagree with you on that, they're nothing like those two. They're still bringing through young players and although Mourinho doesn't care about nurturing young players and leaving legacies, he won't be able to ignore, nor indeed will he want to, the claims of Rashford for a starting place.

All the money he'll spend during his tenure will be money naturally generated as they are a huge huge club. Man City and Chelsea are artificial.

In the last 3 years they have spent over £300million. Chelsea have spent £260million in comparison. I don't see much difference between the transfer policies of either club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

In the last 3 years they have spent over £300million. Chelsea have spent £260million in comparison. I don't see much difference between the transfer policies of either club.

Liverpool spent close to the same under the previous manager.

Liverpool spent close to the same under the previous manager.

£240million over the course of 3 years which is a whopping £60million less than United spent

• Advertisement

£240million or a whopping £60million less than United spent in what was considered an unprecedented move.

The cost of one player Di Maria is the difference.

Liverpool spent huge and wasted huge money under Souness, Houllier, Benitez & Dalglish building teams as well.

What did Leicester spend?

It's about getting in the correct players. Not spunking £30m on a Benteke type who was was never gonna work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

I think the point monkey9 was making is that United's funds have come from commercial deals and the like rather than dodgy Russian oil money.

Although Chelsea have generated a lot more from player sales recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

martyos121 wrote: »
    If we bid the same amount, there'd be no reason to reject the bid, the player would simply choose between us and them. They'll end up with £20m regardless.

I'm not too pushed about him going to Arsenal though, he's close to 30 and his pace will be gone sooner rather than later. Vardy without pace is no better than any of our strikers, he's so heavily reliant on it.

There is if there is a clause in the contract if it has to come from a team in the Champions League did they not already turn down Man Utd because they are not in the Champions League

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

I think the point monkey9 was making is that United's funds have come from commercial deals and the like rather than dodgy Russian oil money.

Although Chelsea have generated a lot more from player sales recently.

That's very suspicious looking too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

£240million over the course of 3 years which is a whopping £60million less than United spent
    It's only one Di Maria!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

That's very suspicious looking too.

Yup, but at least they aren't being quite as blatant about it now.
    RoboKlopp wrote: »
    What did Leicester spend?

It's about getting in the correct players. Not spunking £30m on a Benteke type who was was never gonna work.

Also the correct sports scientists, doctors and physicians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The good news there is we have the Bayern Munich dietician and fitness coach, so expect to win the league for the next four seasons.

I'd imagine Liverpool would love to have a spare £60 million to splash out on a world class player.

A £60million player can make a team

I'd imagine Liverpool would love to have a spare £60 million to splash out on a world class player.

A £1m non league player can make a team that wins you the league as well.

It's not about money it's about buying the right players something 99% of teams fail to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The problem is when you are also selling £50/60 Million players.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Techniques07

K-9 wrote: »
    The problem is when you are also selling £50/60 Million players.

That's the problem. People always say, well yeah but Liverpool spend just as much as the top teams in england, but the difference is Liverpool sell players like Suarez and sterling to spend that, whereas the other teams are spending that to add to their other top players. I'm hoping this will change under Klopp and he can find a few gems.

Exactly, I respect Liverpool for that. It cant be easy competing in a league where a number of teams can literally spend hundreds of millions without having to sacrifice their best players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

monkey9 wrote: »
    Rachel Allen

rachel-allen.jpg?1308778963

Barry Allen

barry-allen-is-the-flash-s1e5.jpg

Prob do his hammy on his debut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,490 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

This thread needs a musical interlude

• Advertisement

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

It's bad when a (presumably) non Liverpool fan comes in here and says good things about us and we all rush to disagree with him (or her). I know that we generally disagree for good reason, but still, it's a bit odd given we have to normally deal with the other type of non Liverpool fan in here.

We have wasted loads of money in recent (25 years is recent) but I really just want to win stuff again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

True, can't put a low net spend in the trophy room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Net spend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

ush wrote: »
    Net spend

All the greatest hits, this off-season.

Rotation - yay or neigh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

This thread needs a musical interlude

Foster & Allen?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Exactly, I respect Liverpool for that. It cant be easy competing in a league where a number of teams can literally spend hundreds of millions without having to sacrifice their best players.

It could be worse they could be in a league where one team gets to spend hundreds of millions and buy up all the best players to ensure there's no real domestic competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Here's a run down of Klopps Dortmund transfers.

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2015/10/assessing-jurgen-klopps-standout-transfers-dortmund/

If you're looking for a marquee signing(long time missing:D), you may be disappointed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Here's a run down of Klopps Dortmund transfers.

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2015/10/assessing-jurgen-klopps-standout-transfers-dortmund/

If you're looking for a marquee signing(long time missing:D), you may be disappointed.

I don't give a flying fudge whether a player is a "marquee" signing or not, so long as he improves the team!

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    I don't give a flying fudge whether a player is a "marquee" signing or not, so long as he improves the team!

Exactly. Even the term "marquee signing" is annoying.

Exactly. Even the term "marquee signing" is annoying.

Unless we are renting out a big tent for some purpose. Then it can be appropriate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

And it isn't as if our big money signings have worked out recently.

But anyway, 3 or 4 good signings and we aren't far away, so no different to other Summers then!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    And it isn't as if our big money signings have worked out recently.

But anyway, 3 or 4 good signings and we aren't far away, so no different to other Summers then!

If Karius is a better keeper than Mignolet,which lets face it shouldn't be hard,we'll be a better team next season already.

A left back and a striker and we're all set I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

A left back and a striker and we're all set I reckon.

Is this the consensus among most Liverpool fans? I would have thought a striker fairly low on the priority scale? Sturridge, Ings, Benteke, Origi and Firminio can play the striker role, granted Bentekkers might be gone and Firminio is probably best used back a bit but I can't Klopp signing another striker with Ings, Sturridge and Origi all still there or am I completely off?

I agree about the left back, badly needed, along with a real winger to give some good width that is a good upgrade on Ibe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Chelsea interested in Benteke apparently.

duffman13 wrote: »
    Is this the consensus among most Liverpool fans? I would have thought a striker fairly low on the priority scale? Sturridge, Ings, Benteke, Origi and Firminio can play the striker role, granted Bentekkers might be gone and Firminio is probably best used back a bit but I can't Klopp signing another striker with Ings, Sturridge and Origi all still there or am I completely off?

I agree about the left back, badly needed, along with a real winger to give some good width that is a good upgrade on Ibe.

Sturridge is injured half the time,Ings is just back from a long term injury,Benteke just doesn't fit,Origi is pretty injury prone as well so yes...I think we we need another striker. I forgot about a winger but Markovic will be coming back so Klopp might see how that turns out before buying another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

A central midfielder.....will nobody think of the poor central midfielders!

^one of them, and a LB and i'd be happy.

A central midfielder.....will nobody think of the poor central midfielders!

^one of them, and a LB and i'd be happy.

Ya, I would love a Mascherano type midfielder.

I forgot about a winger but Markovic will be coming back so Klopp might see how that turns out before buying another.

And maybe Luis Alberto...

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-midfielder-luis-alberto-11393449

• Advertisement

What I don't get is why we sign players, pay big money to do so , then act surprised that they don't fit the system we play. Benteke is example as is Balotelli .
    It's like Man United a club who want to play passing exciting football, they have now appointed 3 non football playing managers in a row WTF . 1-0 to Man U . Get used to it.
    I don't understand the logic of it.

corwill wrote: »

Saw that a few days ago alright. He's more of a "10" type than a winger though,isn't he?

Goes to show how much of an impression he made last time when I can't really remember where he played :D

duffman13 wrote: »
    Is this the consensus among most Liverpool fans? ......

I doubt it, CM is where we need an upgrade most.

Saw that a few days ago alright. He's more of a "10" type than a winger though,isn't he?

Goes to show how much of an impression he made last time when I can't really remember where he played :D

I recall him being a sort of 10, also, but sure why would that stop us?

Augeo wrote: »
    I doubt it, CM is where we need an upgrade most.

And a striker that isn't sitting on his hole most of the time.

They way the previous manager played so players out of position so much I doubt the players themselves no what there natural position is.

They all get a fresh start under Klopp if they are good enough that's great if not they get moved on.

They way the previous manager played so players out of position so much I doubt the players themselves no what there natural position is.

They all get a fresh start under Klopp if they are good enough that's great if not they get moved on.

But what about the huge emotional attachment I feel towards Alberto after his outstanding performances for us last time? I can't just turn my feelings on and off you know.

Rodgers played Alberto as an inside right. For Deportivo he played either in that position or as a striker when they played 4-4-2

But what about the huge emotional attachment I feel towards Alberto after his outstanding performances for us last time? I can't just turn my feelings on and off you know.

This might help.

giphy.gif

And a striker that isn't sitting on his hole most of the time.

It's unfortunate ings missed most of the season alright.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement