Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI: League of Ireland Fixtures (Week 9), Apr 22-25

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Bad match in Cobh, the sending off killed any chance for us getting a point!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Bad match in Cobh, the sending off killed any chance for us getting a point!

I thought Ramblers played some really good stuff, and should have probably scored a couple more, but obviously helped big time by the sending off. That Cory Galvin is a serious player for Cobh, controlled absolutely everything. Hard to judge Shels with the 10 men but they didnt look upto much before that either.

Looking forward to City v Rovers tonight, given the way both teams have played this season, it could go any way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭damemcd

Rovers would be happy with a draw..... steady the ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

Rovers shouldn't get anything out of the game tonight.

They didn't have a shot on target on Friday and their first off target shot was near full time.

Cork fans may not be happy with Cork's inconsistent form but they are a superior outfit.

If Caulfield lets them get the ball down and run at the Rovers defence, they will win comfortably. If he sets them up to punt it long to Maguire, Rovers might get a point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭damemcd

If Fenton can't get a reaction from his team tonight after Friday he should consider his position big time..... and maybe get in the queue to manage Bray......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Rovers shouldn't get anything out of the game tonight.

They didn't have a shot on target on Friday and their first off target shot was near full time.

Cork fans may not be happy with Cork's inconsistent form but they are a superior outfit.

If Caulfield lets them get the ball down and run at the Rovers defence, they will win comfortably. If he sets them up to punt it long to Maguire, Rovers might get a point.

From what I've seen from both sides, Cork are far stronger. They really are hamstrung by Caulfield though. Imagine someone like Buckley was there in Cork, they'd be a serious outfit.
    I'd love to see a draw in tonight's game as it would leave what we would have considered our main rivals at the start of the season all 6 points behind with still two games to go in the first round.

doncarlos wrote: »
    Really can't understand why Fenlan is getting such a free pass from the Rovers fans. They are very average under him and playing a terrible brand of football.

Really can't continue much longer. Four losses in six games, the honeymoon is long over by now surely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Nothing Rovers performance.

No pace, no invention, no fight. Another year of mediocrity from them.

City won with a high tempo 1st half performance that Rovers couldn't handle.

Even though City won, the overall performance doesn't fill me with confidence. Very little football played. We have some exciting players in the ranks with Maguire & Beattie but I think Caulfield is not the manager to get the most out of them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Seánaí Maguire didn't impress me at all before he went went to Cork but he's obviously been very impressive this season.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Seánaí Maguire didn't impress me at all before he went went to Cork but he's obviously been very impressive this season.

He has really impressed.

Amazingly he was dropped a few few weeks ago. :rolleyes:

Very quick over the ground and is very strong which was is surprise as I thought he looked slight when I saw him playing for Dundalk last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Maguire has a great ability to hold up the ball and a lot of the time this season he's been doing it at his disadvantage because he's had to come out to get it rather than the team trying to play him into the game. I don't think we'll see him utilised properly until we start playing for the forwards rather than what we have been doing, especially away from home.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

all the way to Cork and it's over in the first minute.

Winning the toss and choosing to play into the setting Sun. Second half was better, but it should've been 3 or 4-0 at half time.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭getcover

One of the most inept referring performances I've ever witnessed at a LoI game. McKell should be ashamed of himself.
    How 3 officials can not see a defender stop

JC can drive you mad with his tactics, but he is Guardiola compared to that poisoned little midget Fenlon.
    On last night's performance, it looks like Rovers are simply a kick anyone near them, lump the ball forward shower of thugs, with the little runt having no clue as to what else to do.

We looked shot of confidence at times though, and yet again create a huge amount of chances but cannot finish them. We have a great squad here and should be more than capable of winning this league, but is JC up to it...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

getcover wrote: »
    One of the most inept referring performances I've ever witnessed at a LoI game. McKell should be ashamed of himself.
    How 3 officials can not see a defender stop

JC can drive you mad with his tactics, but he is Guardiola compared to that poisoned little midget Fenlon.
    On last night's performance, it looks like Rovers are simply a kick anyone near them, lump the ball forward shower of thugs, with the little runt having no clue as to what else to do.

We looked shot of confidence at times though, and yet again create a huge amount of chances but cannot finish them. We have a great squad here and should be more than capable of winning this league, but is JC up to it...

Not 1 Cork player would start for Dundalk!

Thats the worst Shamrock Rovers side I've seen since the 1st Division days, absolutely rubbish. City were fantastic in the first half, Rovers didnt know how to contain them and it really could have been 4-0 going in at HT. Word for the worst reffing display I've seen in years at any LOI game, at one stage a Rovers player scooped the ball out of the net with his hand and the ref, 10 yards away, waved play on.

Second half City sat back and allowed Rovers huff and puff, but I cant remember at any one stage where I thought they would score, I hope Fenlon never gets the sack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭getcover

Not 1 Cork player would start for Dundalk!
    You keep believing that...;)

In fairness they've done 2 in a row, is there any reason to believe any other player in the league would get in that team? Maybe McNulty for Rodgers, or going on recent form maybe Beattie could fit in somewhere, but Id say thats about it.

Well maybe O'Connell would start, but were? Gannon has been the best RB in the league for 2 years now and Boyle and Gartland are the best CB pairing in the league.

CHealy wrote: »
    In fairness they've done 2 in a row, is there any reason to believe any other player in the league would get in that team? Maybe McNulty for Rodgers, or going on recent form maybe Beattie could fit in somewhere, but Id say thats about it.

Was just about to right the exact same thing. McNulty and maybe Beattie on the right but would have some serious competition from McEleney when fully fit. Bolger and Shields would be competing for a spot too

doncarlos wrote: »
    Was just about to right the exact same thing. McNulty and maybe Beattie on the right but would have some serious competition from McEleney when fully fit. Bolger and Shields would be competing for a spot too

McEleney would start ahead of Beattie any day of the week!

McEleney will start for us as soon as he is fit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Whatever about the silly comparison of players who would/wouldn't start for another team in any given league, City really need to figure out a consistent away strategy and not just start the same players. There has to be more than just that to beat a few of the teams in the Premier away from home. With the right tactics the squad have certainly an opportunity to challenge for the title, whatever about 'no player getting into Dundalk's team', irrelevant when we have beaten Dundalk but then mess up that momentum with some silly, needless draws.

Advertisement