Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best driving route from Dublin Airport to Westport

• 22-04-2016 8:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Is there a better route than the N5 and N4 routes to get from Dublin to Westport?

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Is there a better route than the N5 and N4 routes to get from Dublin to Westport?

Probably not, now that Longford and Ballaghaderreen have been bypassed.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I've gone via Galway taking the turn off for Claregalway especially on Fridays and match days when the N5 is busier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Neworder79

yop wrote: »
    I've gone via Galway taking the turn off for Claregalway especially on Fridays and match days when the N5 is busier.

I've found that a much longer, tiring journey with far worse roads between Galway and Westport.

M4 / N5 is quickest, motorway / dual to Mullingar and good N roads bar the east Roscommon section.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

I know of a few people who go via m50 m4 m6 to athlone and then cut back up to the n5 via Roscommon town.
    But i think that's a longer harder drive.

So yes m50 m4 n5 is probably the best option.
    It's just a pity about the standard of the road in parts of Roscommon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Fastest route I find is as Yop said to motorway it down and turn off for Claregalway, through Corrandulla, onto the N84 and away you go. Suits me as I'd know the Galway-Ballinrobe fairly well. Sure the last stretch from Partry to Westport isn't the best but that wouldn't bother me at that stage of the journey.

If you get caught behind tractors/trucks/traffic on the N4/N5 you've few options really.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

All depends on the time and whats on. I worked in Dublin and Naas there for 3 years, commuting 3 days per week. I would leave here at 5.30AM and be in Dublin for 8am, always going via Ballaghdereen and then into Roscommon and onto Athlone. On the way home then, there was much of a muchness in the time as it was quite mid week.
    Fridays though were businer and I used to mix it up via Longford, turn off at Athlone or go via Galway. You make more progress via Galway if there is traffic.
    On match days I always come home via Galway, have done 2.5 hours from Croker to Cbar via Galway, and that with my Dad, so nothing illegal :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,360 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

All depends on the time and whats on. I worked in Dublin and Naas there for 3 years, commuting 3 days per week. I would leave here at 5.30AM and be in Dublin for 8am, always going via Ballaghdereen and then into Roscommon and onto Athlone. On the way home then, there was much of a muchness in the time as it was quite mid week.
    Fridays though were businer and I used to mix it up via Longford, turn off at Athlone or go via Galway. You make more progress via Galway if there is traffic.
    On match days I always come home via Galway, have done 2.5 hours from Croker to Cbar via Galway, and that with my Dad, so nothing illegal :)

What exit from M6 do you find best yop?
    I tried branching off at the Portumna, Ahasgrah to Dunmore then Clarmorris last week to see what it was like. Probably the first and last time that will be tried.

I'm doing the same commute these past few months twice a week. Early mornings Cbar to Dub and late evening return. Find N5 then Athlone the best too at that time of the morning.

PARlance wrote: »
    What exit from M6 do you find best yop?
    I tried branching off at the Portumna, Ahasgrah to Dunmore then Clarmorris last week to see what it was like. Probably the first and last time that will be tried.

I'm doing the same commute these past few months twice a week. Early mornings Cbar to Dub and late evening return. Find N5 then Athlone the best too at that time of the morning.

I take the Claregalway turn off, then onto LoughGeorge where I take a left for Headford.

Stop, I'd drive that road blinkered at this stage. I used to find in fog that taking the Ros/Athlone/M6 was the best option. On the other road if u came upon a slow driver it was curtains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,360 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I take the Claregalway turn off, then onto LoughGeorge where I take a left for Headford.

Stop, I'd drive that road blinkered at this stage. I used to find in fog that taking the Ros/Athlone/M6 was the best option. On the other road if u came upon a slow driver it was curtains.

I'm done with the N4/N5, too frustrating. I can live with the slow drivers, it's the erratic ones that get me. The ones who can't take a corner at more than 60 but start doing 120 when there's a rare overtaking chance.... they are the same ones that stay in the overtaking lane on that stretch wherever that is.

PARlance wrote: »
    I'm done with the N4/N5, too frustrating. I can live with the slow drivers, it's the erratic ones that get me. The ones who can't take a corner at more than 60 but start doing 120 when there's a rare overtaking chance.... they are the same ones that stay in the overtaking lane on that stretch wherever that is.

Hey, what you saying about me :mad::mad:

:p:D

Agree, farmer central as well :)

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Hey yop. Naas to Westport, what's the best way to take?

beertons wrote: »
    Hey yop. Naas to Westport, what's the best way to take?

I used to head Carragh, Clane towards Maynooth. Then down and turn off Athlone or the last time I did it was onto Galway, ClareGalway turn then left at LoughGeorge onto Headford road and toward Brobe, left at Partry.

Its swings and roundabout. I had 2 sleeping kids in the car and I wanted them to stay that way for as long as possible! :) Motorway roads entertain that.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Heading to a stag, so that won't be a problem. So claregalway, Tuam, claremorris, Westport? Looks like a better road.

What time did it take by going the head ford road?

Heading to a stag, so that won't be a problem. So claregalway, Tuam, claremorris, Westport? Looks like a better road.

Longer going Claremorris.
    If its Friday evening I'd turn off at Athlone and go via Roscommon.

That Claregalway junction on a Friday is a busy spot, so anything gained maybe lost there.

I'd alway go Headford from Claregalway. Its around 1 hour, but less if you know the road.

I'm sure there are others who swear by the other routes though, this is only my preference then :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,427 ✭✭✭plodder

I did it once and went from Naas down M7 to Emo, Mountmellick, Tullamore and then onto M6. Very easy, good roads and straightforward. From there I'd probably go Athlone, Roscommon, Tulsk on to N5 again. I'm sure there's a quicker way, but that one is easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 gogg

The way I'd always go was Westport - Castlebar - Claremorris - Cloonfad - Williamstown - Ballymoe - Roscommon - Athlone and then M6 / M50 for the rest of the way. Direct enough, decent roads and definitely worth a go anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

gogg wrote: »
    The way I'd always go was Westport - Castlebar - Claremorris - Cloonfad - Williamstown - Ballymoe - Roscommon - Athlone and then M6 / M50 for the rest of the way. Direct enough, decent roads and definitely worth a go anyway.

Castlebar - Claremorris and Roscommon - Athlone can be very slow if there is traffic..

Advertisement