Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When to visit doctor?

Options
  • 22-04-2016 8:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi all,

I am 32, and in good health. We've been ttc since December, no joy yet.

I'm wondering at what point I should see a doctor to find out about getting help? I've heard 6 months to 1 year, but In wondering what people's experiences are in Ireland? (I live in Dublin) I've been monitoring my cm and using ovulation strips so far. Basically I'm scared that if there are any underlying issues it might be even harder if I wait as I'll be another year older!

Do you know what the doctor might suggest if I did go?

Thanks everyone!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

A doctor will usually advise you to try for a year before getting tests, if you're under 35. That said, there are certain things you could get checked, like AMH, in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Jen44

I would say they will prob tell you to keep doing what you are doing and come back in a year. I know its really frustrating but four months is not a huge amount of time to be trying in the medical professionals eyes. Have you tried preseed? I found that great. I was trying for four months with my first and the month i used preseed, once i had my smiley faces on the ovulation sticks, i got pregnant that month

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

4 months is way to early to be going to a doctor, deep breaths and calm down :) It's very unusual to conceive first go. In fact, humans only have about a 20% chance every month even if there are no issues and they get the timing exactly right. It took us 8 months and we don't have any known fertility problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Redchairs

Hi everyone, thanks for all the responses. I've bought preseed, so will see how we get on with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭fits

I can't advocate temping enough. It might take a couple of cycles to get a handle on it, but I find it brilliant to aid in understanding what's going on.

Also there is no reason why you can't get some basic tests done now or at least have a chat with your doctor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Went off pill in the June and was pregnant in the Feb. I was all up in the head about it too because I thought it would just happen immediately. Told myself to cop on because if you are uptight about it, it makes it much harder to conceive.

(If I was you I'd stop monitoring temp and measuring this, that and the other. 4 months is no length of time at all. Best of luck. Keep us updated!)

Advertisement