Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

is there a need to warm up?

• 22-04-2016 8:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi guys, this is probably a silly question but im a bit of a newbie so would appreciate the advice. i have just started in a gym and have been given a programme- legs day, shoulders day etc.. but was just wondering do i need to warm up beforehand and if so what kind of warm up would you suggest? thanks guys

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Its necessary to avoid injury. 15 minutes on the bike or threadmill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,659 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

helen87 wrote: »
    Hi guys, this is probably a silly question but im a bit of a newbie so would appreciate the advice. i have just started in a gym and have been given a programme- legs day, shoulders day etc.. but was just wondering do i need to warm up beforehand and if so what kind of warm up would you suggest? thanks guys

You should get yourself ready for what you're going to do. If that's squatting, then there might be a bit of mobility work and some air squats etc. It's about getting your body ready to do what you're going to be doing during the session.

Running, cycling, rowing is fine but it doesn't mean you're warmed up for what you're going to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Highly recommend stretching

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,650 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Its necessary to avoid injury. 15 minutes on the bike or threadmill

For weight training, cardio is a bit of a waste of time. Like Alf said, time is better spent doing mobility and activating the muscle groups you are going to be using like air squats on squat day.

I personally use banded crab walks and banded squats (band around the knees) to ensure I'm not tempted to cave the knees inwards. Also do band pullaparts and band shoulder dislocates to activate the upper back for pretty much every session.

If your gym has bands, make use of them. Otherwise, buying your own is a great investment.

Advertisement