Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If money was no issue what compact camera to get ?

• 22-04-2016 9:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭

Hey there folks believe it or not this is actually not a pipe dream question but I have been tasked to find the ultimate camera that is relatively compact and price is not an issue. It needs to have an excellent autofocus for young kids and obviously the best image quality that money can buy.

What are my options ? He's currently coming from an Fuji X-E1 and while it's a great camera it's autofocus is awful.

So I was thinking along the lines of the Olympus om series , X-PRO2 or Sony A7II etc
    But then I thought about the Leica option ? I know very little about them to be honest as they are way above my pay grade but they are certainly within his :)

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

If price s not an issue then the Sony A6300. 4K video, fastest AF on the market, should those situations very well.
    My man here on Youtude has a review of it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUFEgVmjZr0&ab_channel=ChrisWinter

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if the person wants to spend a shedload on a camera, but is ignorant of what constitutes a good camera and has outsourced the task, buy them a middle of the range one and tell them it cost a grand. pocket the difference as your commission.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭micosoft

Buy a Leica M series. It's a compact digital camera. Start at €6,000 for the body only but realistically €12-16k with a Lens.

Buying a Leica has nothing to do with Photography and is a lifestyle choice for a "Leica Man".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Fiskar wrote: »
    If price s not an issue then the Sony A6300. 4K video, fastest AF on the market, should those situations very well.
    My man here on Youtude has a review of it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUFEgVmjZr0&ab_channel=ChrisWinter

Thanks FISKAR I hadn't thought about the a6300 , reviews look excellent too but shortage of good glass might be a concern long term.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Are we talking Compact, Bridge or Mirrorless?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

to be honest, i find the notion of - what on the face of it, appears to be - someone who wants a the best camera possible but who is choosing to remain ignorant in the process of choosing that camera, to the point where they outsource the task, to be quite funny.

there is no royal road to geometry.

CabanSail wrote: »
    Are we talking Compact, Bridge or Mirrorless?

Probably mirrorless to be honest , Compact is fine if you're willing to accept a restricted zoom like a Ricoh GR, I personally don't like the RX100 V1 as there's just something too digital (nr) about the images (if that makes sense) but maybe the latest versions perform much better.

He had a play with my D700 and thought the images were lovely but too heavy to carry about. I will bring him up the D7200 next week and see if that would be acceptable weight wise.

He's coming from the X-E1 so loved the fuji images but hated the AUTO FOCUS (especially with young kids) , I've mentioned the X-Pro 2 but in my mind it's still not up to DSLR speed yet, but maybe a firmware update might improve things.

There are just so many cameras out there it's hard to choose. I'd say a Canon 7d MKii but again it's kinda bulky like the d7200.

to be honest, i find the notion of - what on the face of it, appears to be - someone who wants a the best camera possible but who is choosing to remain ignorant in the process of choosing that camera, to the point where they outsource the task, to be quite funny.

there is no royal road to geometry.

He simply has not the interest to do the research or the time to be perfectly honest. I'm only here for advice as I'm sure there's other cameras i've not considered (like the a6300 above).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

i would love to get this tbh. Looks like such a cool toy

that sounds a bit like the lytro - which i've heard nothing about in a while.
    though they do seem to be focussing (pun intended) on the TV/movie market.

• Advertisement
Advertisement