Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Product Tracking Database

Options
  • 22-04-2016 9:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

Hi I'm looking to get a live product tracking piece of software created. Its going to be used to allow users to check the levels add, subtract, and verify the location of a item.
    Incoming orders will be added to current stock by import of file or manually. This will then the display the amount to be produced. The produced amount will have to be handed to packaging and the amount received and then verified. Packaging after its work is complete will then hand over to dispatch and verified.
    A printed pick list for each van is given to dispatch. Goods will then be given to vans and verified as goods are removed from dispatch. This will then reduce the starting total. This process will be available to the users on touch screens.

Meet to discuss, Develop, Install, Test, Tweak. Need done asap. Pm me for my mobile. Job is in Baldoyle Industrial Estate Dublin 13.

Thanks

Jimmy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

What language / platform is it in etc.........

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Aswerty

Jimkil wrote: »
    Hi I'm looking to get a live product tracking piece of software created. Its going to be used to allow users to check the levels add, subtract, and verify the location of a item.
    Incoming orders will be added to current stock by import of file or manually. This will then the display the amount to be produced. The produced amount will have to be handed to packaging and the amount received and then verified. Packaging after its work is complete will then hand over to dispatch and verified.
    A printed pick list for each van is given to dispatch. Goods will then be given to vans and verified as goods are removed from dispatch. This will then reduce the starting total. This process will be available to the users on touch screens.

Meet to discuss, Develop, Install, Test, Tweak. Need done asap. Pm me for my mobile. Job is in Baldoyle Industrial Estate Dublin 13.

Thanks

Jimmy

It always makes more sense to buy off-the-shelf software rather than develop your own. And this sounds like there's probably loads of off the shelf software that'll do what you want. Or maybe it's two separate pieces of software - order tracking software and dispatch tracking software.

The only reason to role your own is if the market doesn't actually provide what you need - but your use case sounds extremely generic so I'd be gobsmacked if this was the case. Or the other reason is if a custom solution will provide you with a competitive advantage - this is generally the only the case for new industries, high tech industries, niche industries, etc.

I've done custom line of business software before and the usual route to take is to do up a proper requirements spec. Then trawl the internet and contact people in your industry to find out what software is available to meet your business requirements. And only when nothing exists on the market do you make the decision to undertake a project such as this. There's massive long term implications to rolling your own solutions - and if you don't have in-house expertise you'll be relying on the initial developer being available for ongoing issues and upgrades. This can be a real issue if you go with a freelancer since they don't necessarily stick around - you'd be safer with a firm/studio that's been in business for a while.
    What language / platform is it in etc.........
    Business folk generally don't have requirements around that. They'll put their trust in the developer/firm on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

This guy posts like he has a piece of software and he wants someone to deploy it for him, hence why I asked.

Advertisement