Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Think Ive made a bad career move - Help!

Options
  • 22-04-2016 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

I recently have moved jobs - I'm only a few days into new job but wanted peoples opinions.

I was happy where I worked but it was on a temp contract which had been renewed but then I got an opportunity to go to a large well known company who have a great reputation to work for and thought it may look better on my CV long term - its initially a 1 year contract but has a very strong possibility of going perm after that.

My previous employer made it clear they didn't want me to leave and the relationship remains good. Since I started the job I have been getting a bad vibe about it and can't help but feel I've made a mistake. The people are generally nice but reading between the lines there seems to be some conflict within the workforce and whilst I know its early days people just keep firing emails at me and when I ask for some guidance its promised but never comes.

Also I have just learned that the boss who hired me is taking a new job in a different division of the company in a weeks time and this was never revealed at interview stage or before I started and their doesn't seem to be much knowledge base left in the dept I work in as it has had people move from it recently.

All this with some other minor things is making me believe that I have made a mistake taking this role. I'm nearly certain if I rang my old boss in time (before they had replaced me) that he would take me back but I don't know if that's the right thing to do as I'd be a bit embarrassed going back with my tail between my legs so to speak.

Its also effecting my mood at home and I don't want my family to be effected and feel like I should just tell them that I love my new job so not to upset them!

Anyone any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,572 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I read this earlier and thought about it a bit.

I'd say this is an opportunity for you to step up. Your boss will be leaving, sounds like a weak enough team. This could be your chance to show you can take grasp of the job and be a leader.

I think it's natural to want to stay in our comfort zone and I think you may be pineing for your comfort zone in your old job.

I'd focus on documenting as many procedures as you can from current boss before he leaves. Have this to hand to be the go-to person when he's gone.

I'd say stay so you can get on top of this position. Going back to your old job will be demoralising and I'd wager that within a week back there you'll quickly remember why you left and again regret your decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

I know what you re saying but the only thing is the boss leaves next week for his new job and he s ot in the same geographical location as the offices where I sit.

Also the fact that my experience is very limited in this field and his level is a lot higher in terms of company structure would probably make your proposal more or less impossible.

Do I have any grounds to just pack it in given the information that was withheld?

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

If you could get to the root cause of the office vibe it would help a lot.
    My advice would be to go back to your old job but be warned you will be seen as a failure by some. Bosses love this sort of thing as they can always use the Ss was left and is back now, this is a great place to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

I have a feeling it could just be newbie nerves,

Give it three months, if you still have the same issues, start looking for a new role.

Imposter syndrome is real, we all suffer from it at some point. try not to stress out about it too much.

If it keeps effecting your family life pack it in, you dont need a reason while your on probation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

_Brian wrote:
    I'd say this is an opportunity for you to step up. Your boss will be leaving, sounds like a weak enough team. This could be your chance to show you can take grasp of the job and be a leader.

I agree with this as it's an opportunity to step up to the plate. Also worth bearing in mind that despite your old boss being favourable towards you that the absence of a non temporary contact just indicates that you're not that valuable to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Laura_A

I think the vibes you get in your first week of a new job are completely legit - I left a job once for the money offered by another company... 3 days in I knew it wasn't right for me.. Job wasn't what they said it would be, no help/guidance and a very unhappy office in general... Complete opposite to what I was told at all interview stages..

I called my old boss a week and a half in and luckily he took me back - was back at my old job within 3 weeks of leaving and stayed there for 18 months before moving to a new job which was a step up my old company couldn't offer.. Still in that role now and still never regret leaving that job a week and a half in... I can understand where other posters are coming from in that it could be an opportunity but I would say trust your gut and speak to your old manager before you are replaced... There is nothing embarrassing about going back to an old company - people make mistakes and it takes a bigger person to admit they made the wrong move than to stay unhappy...

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

I know the new job " have I made a terrible mistake" feeling. Consider sticking with it for 6 months. You can't realistically know whether you've made a good or bad move a few days in. I've had cold feet before but was advised to stick with it and have always been glad that I did. After 6 months, if you still don't like it, then probably time to move on - and at least you know you gave it good shot. It makes it easier when you know you are giving it a defined period – you are testing something out and if it’s not right, then you leave. This way, it’s organized, and part of your plan and you’ll feel better about it when you have it controlled in this way. (And of course at the 4 month mark if it’s really not panning out, I’d start looking around)

I'd avoid going back to old role - you lose respect, bargaining power - and you left that job for a reason. It’s a backwards move and you’re only even considering it because you’re feeling bit desperate at the moment and that will pass.

New job and boss leaving = opportunity - whether you can see that or not at the moment.

You've no “grounds to pack it in” because info was withheld, but assuming you are in Ireland and not North Korea, you can walk anytime you like. Never fall into the trap of being a slave to you CV. To caveat my 6 month advise - if you genuinely are miserable and it’s affecting home life – WALK. No job is worth damaging your mental health. But I can’t see that being the case here because you’re only a few days in.

Try to relax - a job is just a job and this can be hard to see when you're stressed - it's easier to give in to a feeling of desperation. Be aware of this and you'll be fine – try not to take it (and yourself) too seriously.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

I've been in your situation before OP,I through the skin of my teeth got my old job back and was delighted.

I'm still here 10 year's later.
    The one I was offered was a dead end job,countless people came and went.

Thanks for the input lads.

Things only seem to be getting worse within the role and I am thinking of contacting old boss today.

I understand people saying give it a go for a while and then leave but I really liked my old job and want to maybe act now as it will be gone soon enough plus I don t want to have a jumpy CV.

I have thought through all the above advice and I understand that I will be seen by a failure by some and will probably encounter some jibes about returning so quick for a while but I have taken this into consideration and I am willing to endure it to get my work happiness back. They also had a leaving party for me which is embarrassing and they put on a free tab for a while but as part of calling my boss I am gojng to offer to repay that.

I agonised about the decision to leave and should have listened to my gut then but I thibk its now time to listen to my gut which is never too far wrong.

Thanks for the input lads.

Things only seem to be getting worse within the role and I am thinking of contacting old boss today.

I understand people saying give it a go for a while and then leave but I really liked my old job and want to maybe act now as it will be gone soon enough plus I don t want to have a jumpy CV.

I have thought through all the above advice and I understand that I will be seen by a failure by some and will probably encounter some jibes about returning so quick for a while but I have taken this into consideration and I am willing to endure it to get my work happiness back. They also had a leaving party for me which is embarrassing and they put on a free tab for a while but as part of calling my boss I am gojng to offer to repay that.

I agonised about the decision to leave and should have listened to my gut then but I thibk its now time to listen to my gut which is never too far wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

The same thing happened to me recently but I decided to stick it out..... Oh how I wish I hadn't!!!!

I left a job where I loved the work/people & my boss for a job closer to home. Within two weeks I knew I had made a mistake but decided to stick it out. I am now on job number 3 since then (looking for a new one) and still regret ever leaving my old job.

I am in contact with people I work for and they are going to give me the heads up if a position becomes available again which I will go for with my tail between my legs but I don't care about that.

I hope it all works out for you. Someone said to me recently that no amount of perks can outweigh job satisfaction - just wish they had said it to me before I left!!!

Advertisement