Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conversationial Irish

Options
  • 22-04-2016 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a group or place to meet up and speak as Gaelige . I've recently been learning more Irish and would like to have some where to practice and improve

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

The whest of Irleand is the best place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

http://www.anclub.ie/

Club Chonradh Na Gaeilge is an Irish speaking pub on Harcourt Street :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

The whest of Irleand is the best place

It's a bit of a trek from Glasnevin thou

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

It's a bit of a trek from Glasnevin thou

Weekend trip

• Registered Users Posts: 82,649 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

What's controversial about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭craoltoir

Bíonn comhrá as gaeilge san Addison Lodge i nGlas Naíon ar an Aoine.

Irish conversation group takes place in Addison Lodge on Fridays at 11am

List of all conversation groups available here:

www.ionad.org

Look for Ciorcal Comhrá

• Registered Users Posts: 17,721 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

What's controversial about it?

I think they mean "conversational"!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Title fixed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

craoltoir wrote: »
    Bíonn comhrá as gaeilge san Addison Lodge i nGlas Naíon ar an Aoine.

Irish conversation group takes place in Addison Lodge on Fridays at 11am

List of all conversation groups available here:

www.ionad.org

Look for Ciorcal Comhrá

Thanks , I've notice a lot of these groups are during the working day which is a shame

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Libraries are generally good for this. Try also Aras Chronan in Clondalin, or any of the local gaelscoils. Pretty sure there's a gaelscoil in Glasnevin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Can anyone recommend a group or place to meet up and speak as Gaelige . I've recently been learning more Irish and would like to have some where to practice and improve

There can be good Meetup groups, especially if you're just starting out. It's definitely worth trying a few of them. I dropped into the ciorcal comhrá in Cabra library a couple of times and the standard was very decent (definitely not beginners). Without any evidence at all, I'd be absolutely certain there's at least one ciorcal comhrá linked with Scoil Chaitríona and Na Fianna on Mobhí Road. Somebody on this page could put you on the right track. A few years ago there was a very good (and free) class in the Clasac centre in Clontarf every Monday given by a native speaker from Uibh Rathach, and there's a ciorcal there every Tuesday.

I'd recommend the Conradh na Gaeilge classes (4 of them starting Tuesday week, 3 May), if only because after each class we went downstairs to Club an Chonradh and had great chats in Irish over a few pints. That was my introduction to The Club. I haven't done a Conradh course in many, many years but when I want something different on a night I drop into the Conradh pub for a chat. Consistently a lovely, welcoming crowd (thanks in large part to Seosamh, the barman). It's usually quiet as it's a tv-free, radio-free, conversation-centred refuge from the city.(check the website for the the noisy nights/events)

Advertisement