Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Store in former Clery's premises?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Wow way to go and sully your reputation. What an awful property developer. Rule number 1 of dealing with Apple, you don't go blabbing to the press.

Good building for one but is Dublin big enough for a flag ship iconic building Apple Store?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Ugh, Apple stores are just full of kids hanging around their god and charging their phones for free.

Store is massive though, would they use all 4 floors?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Wow way to go and sully your reputation. What an awful property developer. Rule number 1 of dealing with Apple, you don't go blabbing to the press.

Good building for one but is Dublin big enough for a flag ship iconic building Apple Store?

Why isn't Dublin big enough? Catchment area of more than 1m?

Also , they would not have to take the whole building.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why isn't Dublin big enough? Catchment area of more than 1m?

Also , they would not have to take the whole building.
    I meant that Dublin may not be big enough for one of Apple's Flagship stores. Belfast's store is a small unit in a shopping mall.

Look at NYC, it's a giant cube.
    Look at Paris, it's in a huge opera house.
    Look at China, it's a giant cylinder.
    Look at NYC, it's in an iconic train station.

Apple don't do things by halves but NYC, Paris, Shanghai have much larger catchment areas than Dublin. Apple wouldn't share the building either, each of the places I mentioned above (with the exception of the train station for obvious reasons) are single use Apple Store buildings.

Don't get me wrong, I'd absolutely love this to be true, but I think I'd rather wait than to get my hopes up based on a blabbing property developer firm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Of course the utter cynics might think that this is a publicity stunt aimed at wafting away the smell caused by the closure of Clery's, which was surely an example of the unacceptable face of capitalism, by getting people all interested in the coolest company on earth (in some people's minds) establishing a presence there.

And even if Apple don't set up shop there, and the reports clearly say that Apple has "not made an announcement yet" then the hope is that people's focus will shift from "look what the bastards did to Clery's" to "Oh so unlucky. Never mind we must get an even better tenant than Apple to make O'Connell St attractive again. Why not Abercrombie & Fitch? Or Gap? Or Lego World?"

Gets people looking forward, not backwards.

Personally, the only reason I would go into an Apple Store on that site would be to stamp on a few iPods. But then I'm an old curmudgeon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I meant that Dublin may not be big enough for one of Apple's Flagship stores. Belfast's store is a small unit in a shopping mall.

Apple don't do things by halves but NYC, Paris, Shanghai have much larger catchment areas than Dublin. Apple wouldn't share the building either, each of the places I mentioned above (with the exception of the train station for obvious reasons) are single use Apple Store buildings.

Don't get me wrong, I'd absolutely love this to be true, but I think I'd rather wait than to get my hopes up based on a blabbing property developer firm.

Apple's flagship store in Spain is in a shopping mall on the south coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

Would never happen for a number of reasons.

1) Wrong side of town (I'm a northsider)
    2) Building is way too big
    3) Catchment is way too small
    4) Apple never do business with people who announced ahead of them.
    5) Apple have absolutely zero interest in opening a store here. If they did, it'd be open by now.
    6) We're nowhere near as important as we like to think we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Rule number 1 of dealing with Apple, you don't go blabbing to the press.

Have they pulled out of opening stores because of this before?

Why does it have to a be a flagship store?

Why can't the bulding be redesgned so that the bukidng is split in half for example.

Where there's a will there's a way as they say.

tallpaul wrote: »
    Reports in the Time and Indo today that the vultures who closed Clery's are attempting to get Apple to open a store on O'Connell Street. Would be a great coup if they managed to make it happen...

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/natrium-sets-sights-on-apple-store-in-clerys-building-1.2619976

Why would it be a great coup?

Let it to someone who pays taxes would be better.

• Advertisement

maximoose wrote: »
    Have they pulled out of opening stores because of this before?

Not that I'm aware of, but they have in the past changed suppliers for their devices because they've blabbed about future earnings due to deals with Apple.
    Why does it have to a be a flagship store?

Why can't the bulding be redesgned so that the bukidng is split in half for example.

Where there's a will there's a way as they say.

I think it'd be a shame if the building was split, it's such an iconic building in Ireland. It would suit an Apple flagship so well but I just think we're too small for Apple to take the whole building.

Why would it be a great coup?

Let it to someone who pays taxes would be better.

Oh this stupid argument, that ignores they jobs they create, leading to more income tax, and PRSI (Including employers) and ancilliary businesses that evolve around them.

Not that I'm aware of, but they have in the past changed suppliers for their devices because they've blabbed about future earnings due to deals with Apple.

I think it'd be a shame if the building was split, it's such an iconic building in Ireland. It would suit an Apple flagship so well but I just think we're too small for Apple to take the whole building.

Building can stay the same just arrange the entrances differently so that it's split internally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Apple wouldn't need all the floors and as the report said the top two floors could be office space.

OU812 wrote: »
    Would never happen for a number of reasons.

1) Wrong side of town (I'm a northsider)
    2) Building is way too big
    3) Catchment is way too small
    5) Apple have absolutely zero interest in opening a store here. If they did, it'd be open by now.
    6) We're nowhere near as important as we like to think we are.

I don't get 2. There are Apple stores in Bristol and Bath and Belfast. 2 in Bristol in fact.

And Cambridge. Lots more smaller than Dublin.

http://www.apple.com/uk/retail/storelist/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I don't get 2. There are Apple stores in Bristol and Bath and Belfast. 2 in Bristol in fact.

And Cambridge. Lots more smaller than Dublin.

http://www.apple.com/uk/retail/storelist/

The argument is around flagship stores/stores. A big difference in both.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Apple won't be lured into opening a store here. They'll do it when they are good and ready. They've also become very fussy about the location of their flagship stores. They will wait until the absolute perfect location becomes available. Most likely somewhere around Grafton Street.

They open stores on a country by country basis. The first store in a country is quickly followed by more. So the size of Dublin compared to Belfast or wherever isn't the point. It's the size of the Irish market as a whole.

Also Compub have only been on Grafton Street for about 5 or 6 years. They presumedly received some assurance from Apple that they had no plans to open a store here for a decade at least.

Oh this stupid argument, that ignores they jobs they create, leading to more income tax, and PRSI (Including employers) and ancilliary businesses that evolve around them.

You could say that about a Macari's. Would you say that was a "great coup"?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,121 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

how many people do macari's employ in ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Also, they'd bring geniuses with them. O'Connell St could use a flagship full o' geniuses.

• Advertisement

godtabh wrote: »
    The argument is around flagship stores/stores. A big difference in both.

the argument on flagship stores assumed the premise about flagship stores Apparently we are too small for a flagship and too big for a normal Apple store. odd arguments.

Think you have a Macari's size chip on your shoulder.

Comparing a local chipper to an massive organisation like Apple employing thousands of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Armonline

Heard a theory before that Apple won't open a retail store in the republic as this would affect that way their tax is calculated in Ireland for the business in cork

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Somewhere in the region of €8-10Billion in avoided taxes is hardly a stupid argument.

Armonline wrote: »
    Heard a theory before that Apple won't open a retail store in the republic as this would affect that way their tax is calculated in Ireland for the business in cork

This always gets said but I cannot see how it is true at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

That's an urban legend. Plenty of bigger countries than Ireland don't have an apple store.

I'd be very surprised if Apple moved into Clerys. The building is too big and as someone said above, they don't like to share. Even their flagship stores don't have particularly massive floorspace. If they are to open in Dublin I would expect it to be around the Grafton Street/Stephen's Green area or else with a non-flagship store in the Dundrum Centre. That's much more their style than stuck between chippers on O'Connell Street.

Having said that, I'd welcome a store anywhere, even if they opened from a car boot by the boardwalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

The main flagship store in Spain opened in Madrid last year after they spent 2 years refurbishing the building.

http://www.apple.com/es/retail/puertadelsol/

Madrid has the population of the island of Ireland and still the store is much smaller than Clerys. The ground floor is the main area with phones, iPads, Macs etc and there's a smaller mezzanine area with headphones, covers and other accessories. They use the rest of the building as office space and with most of the Ireland operations based in Cork they probably wouldn't need that in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

smash wrote: »
    Apple's flagship store in Spain is in a shopping mall on the south coast.

Apples flagship store is Puerta del Sol in Madrid, they renovated an old historical hotel, I was I there last Summer! I would have thought Spple would be more inclined to open in the Grafton Street/Stephens Green area! Imagine walking out of the O'Connell Street Apple Store with your brand new IPhone 7 and getting mugged by some junkie!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Heard a theory before that Apple won't open a retail store in the republic as this would affect that way their tax is calculated in Ireland for the business in Cork
    This always gets said but I cannot see how it is true at all.

Well, Ireland is Apple's EU HQ country, and is where they pay tax. So, if anything, they would be more likely to have Apple Retail Stores here (they have one at Cupertino, their world HQ).
    If towns in the UK as small as Norwich (pop. 140k) and Exeter (pop. 125k) can have Apple Retail Stores, then we should have perhaps three or four in the RoI (or at least more than none).
    The only difference in the UK is that it is not Apple's EU tax-base...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

! Imagine walking out of the O'Connell Street Apple Store with your brand new IPhone 7 and getting mugged by some junkie!!

If it was a former Clery's employee, I'd be on the side of the junkie :)

Advertisement