Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Status Quo

Options
  • 22-04-2016 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭

I was going to buy tickets for Status Quo gig in October. Just saw the price of the ticket - €75 including booking fee. Just picking myself up of the floor.
    Are they that much in demand? Have never seen them live. Know a handful of songs - nothing that excites me too much. Someone asked me to go along with them.

I think I'll wait and see if I can pick up a cheaper ticket closer to the date.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Wow thats really expensive especially for an indoor show

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

I was going to buy tickets for Status Quo gig in October. Just saw the price of the ticket - €75 including booking fee. Just picking myself up of the floor.
    Are they that much in demand? Have never seen them live. Know a handful of songs - nothing that excites me too much. Someone asked me to go along with them.

I think I'll wait and see if I can pick up a cheaper ticket closer to the date.

The booking fee is always within the face value price, the 6.10 euros that is added on to the face value ticket price, is the service charge. http://www.ticketmaster.ie/h/service_charges.html.

Also, any ticket bought for gigs in The 3 Arena and The Olympia, now include a 1 euro facility charge.

I think the dates in Belfast the night before in the SSE Arena (Odyssey Arena), work out as less expensive than Dublin but that the London dates work out as being pretty much as expensive as Dublin.

In December 2016 their gig in the 02 London, as part of The Last of the Electrics Tour, range from 55.75 pounds (£48.00 Ticket + £7.75 Fees) to 63.75 (£55.00 Ticket + £8.75 Fees).

http://www.ticketmaster.ie/status-quo-the-last-night-of-london-12-11-2016/event/35005072DEC83671?artistid=747939&majorcatid=10001&minorcatid=1

The Belfast date ranges from 38 pounds to 44 pounds but the service handling fee of 4.40 is added to that, so a standing ticket works out as £48.40

The 38 pounds option for the SSE Arena Belfast, selects West Upper Tier includes a service handling fee of 3.95 bringing the total cost of one ticket in that section to 41.95.

Yes, it is more expensive than the previous times they played Dublin, for example in the Olympia, in recent years. In February 2009 in the Olympia, the tickets for that gig started from 49 euros and I think most of the tickets were 55 euros and then the service handling fee was added to that.

When they played The Marquee in Cork last year, the standing tickets were 54.65 and I think the seats were also that price.

The Frantic Four gig on 12th April 2014 started from 49.65 euros.

http://3arena.ie/index.php/artist/status-quo/257

http://musicscene.ie/2013/10/status-quo-o2-dublin-2014-live-concert-date-confirmed-for-saturday-april-12th/

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=844192292305573&id=166430066748469

http://www.mcd.ie/newsletters/08bjanuary.html

http://www.toutless.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3167

But as a comparison, in December 2016 their gig in the 02 London, as part of The Last of the Electrics Tour, range from 55.75 pounds (£48.00 Ticket + £7.75 Fees) to 63.75 (£55.00 Ticket + £8.75 Fees).

But I guess their UK dates on this Last Night of the Electrics Tour are also more expensive than they were on previous UK tours?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,412 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Wow thats really expensive especially for an indoor show

pennys compared to past shows eg Fleetwood Mac, u2, Rod Stewert

how many 'final tours' are Quo going to do ???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭flasher0030

PTH2009 wrote: »

I wasn't at Fleetwood Mac or Rod Stewart, so don't know what gig was like. Was at the U2 gig, and U2 deliver magnificent entertainment. The gig was worth paying for. When you can look back on a gig, and relish the enjoyment from it, without dwelling on what price it was - then it was probably worth the admission cost. However, I've looked at couple of youtube clips, and don't see that from Status Quo. Maybe I'm wrong, and that the gig will blow my mind.

And because it's their "final tour" doesn't mean that its going to be better that the 100s of gigs that they have ever done.

And just to address the point in a previous post - comparing the Euro to the prices in £ Sterling. That's not relevant. Doesn't matter if the price in Ireland (in Euros) is approx. the same as the Sterling equivalent in the UK. If it's a rip-off, it's a rip-off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

*ahem ....*

This was the second ever gig I attended ... note the year and name of the tour :D

$_1.JPG

• Advertisement

RayCon wrote: »
    *ahem ....*

This was the second ever gig I attended ... note the year and name of the tour :D

$_1.JPG

Was the gig good?

I think it's interesting that the tour in October, November and December is titled The Last of the Electrics Tour, "the last ever Electric Tour from the band" and not a farewell tour, or something like that.

It'll be interesting to see if their setlist from gig to gig varies on these shows in October, November and December.

The German and UK dates have two supports.

Uriah Heep are supporting them on German dates along with DRDW. REO Speedwagon and The Lounge Kittens are supporting them on UK dates.

http://www.statusquo.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The booking fee is always within the face value price, the 6.10 euros that is added on to the face value ticket price is the service charge. http://www.ticketmaster.ie/h/service_charges.html.
    It says up to 6.85 in that link, but if you go to checkout it is indeed 6.10 for quo

this is the dearest tickets.

Full Price Ticket
    TICKET PRICE €68.50 x 1
    SERVICE CHARGE €6.10 x 1
    FACILITY CHARGE €1.00 x 1
    SUBTOTAL (Full Price Ticket) €75.60

So I think the OP did go to checkout and was calling the service charge the booking fee. Common mistake and what I consider a well thought out con by advertisers. I have had lads nearly getting into heated arguments with me saying "NO, the price includes all fees, I heard them clearly on the radio say it includes booking fee".

Non regular gig goers probably plan ahead or agree with mates that they will go to a gig and only find out its an extra 7.10 at the last minute and just grin and bear it.

Those 3 would always easily command more money than Quo (I love them BTW)

Doubt you would see U2 playing these venues

Status Quo
    INEC - Gleneagle Hotel
    Killarney, IE
    Sun, 01/02/09
    On Sale Tue, 14/10/08

Status Quo
    Portlaoise Heritage Hotel
    Portlaoise, IE
    Tue, 03/02/09
    On Sale Tue, 14/10/08

Status Quo
    Royal Theatre and Event Centre
    Castlebar, IE
    Sat, 07/02/09
    On Sale Tue, 14/10/08

Status Quo
    Olympia Theatre
    Dublin, IE
    Sun, 08/02/09
    On Sale Tue, 14/10/08

If they did play the olympia they could charge hundreds for tickets, if they wanted.

rubadub wrote: »
    It says up to 6.85 in that link, but if you go to checkout it is indeed 6.10 for quo

this is the dearest tickets.

Full Price Ticket
    TICKET PRICE €68.50 x 1
    SERVICE CHARGE €6.10 x 1
    FACILITY CHARGE €1.00 x 1
    SUBTOTAL (Full Price Ticket) €75.60

So I think the OP did go to checkout and was calling the service charge the booking fee. Common mistake and what I consider a well thought out con by advertisers. I have had lads nearly getting into heated arguments with me saying "NO, the price includes all fees, I heard them clearly on the radio say it includes booking fee".

Non regular gig goers probably plan ahead or agree with mates that they will go to a gig and only find out its an extra 7.10 at the last minute and just grin and bear it.

Those 3 would always easily command more money than Quo (I love them BTW)

Doubt you would see U2 playing these venues

Status Quo
    INEC - Gleneagle Hotel
    Killarney, IE
    Sun, 01/02/09
    On Sale Tue, 14/10/08

Status Quo
    Portlaoise Heritage Hotel
    Portlaoise, IE
    Tue, 03/02/09
    On Sale Tue, 14/10/08

Status Quo
    Royal Theatre and Event Centre
    Castlebar, IE
    Sat, 07/02/09
    On Sale Tue, 14/10/08

Status Quo
    Olympia Theatre
    Dublin, IE
    Sun, 08/02/09
    On Sale Tue, 14/10/08

If they did play the olympia they could charge hundreds for tickets, if they wanted.

Did you notice that if you go through the ticket buying process for the Status Quo gig in London on 11th December, the price they give, on the drop down button for the ticket price range, is the price with the face value plus the service charge, so the total cost, but for the Belfast and Dublin gigs, when you click the price range button it just tells you the ticket face value price.

It is only when you go further into the buying process, of selecting tickets, and press the find tickets button, that it indicates the total cost, showing the service charge and facility charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭flasher0030

No, I knew the service charge is another €6/€7 on top of the ticket price. To me, it doesn't matter what it's called. I'm talking about what's coming from my back pocket. It's no consolation if it's dressed up as a "service charge".

Good point about the venues.

I wasn't at Fleetwood Mac or Rod Stewart, so don't know what gig was like. Was at the U2 gig, and U2 deliver magnificent entertainment. The gig was worth paying for. When you can look back on a gig, and relish the enjoyment from it, without dwelling on what price it was - then it was probably worth the admission cost. However, I've looked at couple of youtube clips, and don't see that from Status Quo. Maybe I'm wrong, and that the gig will blow my mind.

And because it's their "final tour" doesn't mean that its going to be better that the 100s of gigs that they have ever done.

And just to address the point in a previous post - comparing the Euro to the prices in £ Sterling. That's not relevant. Doesn't matter if the price in Ireland (in Euros) is approx. the same as the Sterling equivalent in the UK. If it's a rip-off, it's a rip-off.

It has not been listed as a "final tour". It has been listed as "The Last of the Electrics" tour.

Comparing the sterling price to euro is relevant, because the point I was making was that the price of the Dublin gig, works out pretty similar to the London gig on 11th December.

The Belfast date works out less expensive than the Dublin date.

The price of the Belfast ticket is similar to their shows, on 28th April in Blackpool, and their UK shows in May and August.

A lot of their other UK dates, - prior to the December dates - in May and August, are cheaper than the dates in December, for example on 21st May, in Birkenhead, the tickets are £44.55 (£40.50 Ticket + £4.05 Fees) which is similar to the price of the Belfast 28th October date.

But the total cost of many of the tickets for the Birmingham show on 16th December are £62.95 each (£55.00 Ticket + £7.95 Fees)

http://www.ticketmaster.ie/wirral-rocks-status-quo-seated-birkenhead-05-21-2016/event/35004F89CFA43ED6?artistid=2190153&majorcatid=10001&minorcatid=1

http://www.ticketmaster.ie/status-quo-the-last-night-of-birmingham-12-16-2016/event/37005072F9CF77D1?artistid=747939&majorcatid=10001&minorcatid=1

There's a lot of people in Ireland who are happy that they are playing here, considering that Dublin and Belfast were not part of the original list of the October/November/December tour dates, when they were first announced a few weeks ago.

A lot of the UK dates have sold very well, for example it didn't select any tickets on the ground floor, when I looked, on ticketmaster's page, for the Birmingham gig on 16th December.

If Dublin sells very well, how sure can you be of obtaining a cheaper ticket?

Would anyone who bought tickets, who may end up not being able to attend, be willing to sell them on for less than what they paid for them, except perhaps in a scenario where, if they still have them on the day of the gig, and they want to sell them and get some of the money back, rather than not sell them at all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

Was the gig good?

Yes, I was 14 and it was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭hopeso

I was looking for tickets on ticketmaster just now. Yes the price is a little scary, but worth it. It's quo, after all :)

But, one thing I noticed is that the standing area at the 3 arena seems very small... Has anyone been to other concerts at the 3 arena? How packed is the standing area likely to be? Ideally, I'd like to stand, and be close to the stage, but I'm wondering if a seat would be a better option, as it seems the majority of the crowd will be seated..... What are others doing?

hopeso wrote: »
    But, one thing I noticed is that the standing area at the 3 arena seems very small... Has anyone been to other concerts at the 3 arena? How packed is the standing area likely to be?
    Standing should be fine. The area is large enough, I am guessing you might be looking at a seating chart which shows disproportionate sizes.

15072s.gif

here is another more to scale.
    the-o2-arena-dublin-seating-plan-03-General-admission-ground-floor-standing-upper-levels-seated-diagram-map.jpg
    seating%20and%20standing%20bowl.jpg

hopeso wrote: »
    I was looking for tickets on ticketmaster just now. Yes the price is a little scary, but worth it. It's quo, after all :)

But, one thing I noticed is that the standing area at the 3 arena seems very small... Has anyone been to other concerts at the 3 arena? How packed is the standing area likely to be? Ideally, I'd like to stand, and be close to the stage, but I'm wondering if a seat would be a better option, as it seems the majority of the crowd will be seated..... What are others doing?

The layout for the Status Quo gig is Optimum Standing, which indeed has more seats than the General Standing layout, and a smaller standing area.

I would say it won't be too packed, and that it will be comfortable standing. There is usually lots of space, any time I've been at a gig, standing, with this layout. As well as that, the Quo audience don't normally engage in activities like circle pits and moshing!:)

And also, I would say that they won't come on to boards.ie afterwards, and talk about how awful the crowd was for not engaging in such activity, like some people did, with regard to the Muse and At The Drive In gigs recently!:)

This Optimum Standing layout is used regularly. It was also used for the Frantic Four Status Quo gig in April 2014, and Fleetwood Mac in September 2013 and Rush in May 2011.

With the Optimum Standing layout, the standing area is partitioned from the area inside the 3 Arena building where the bars and merchandise stands are located, but with the General Standing layout, the standing area is opened right back as far as the bars and merchandise stands.

With the General Standing area, you can stand in front of the sound and lighting desks, which are usually located centrally, towards the back of the standing area, (and the bars and merchandise stalls are in the area behind the sound desk). You can walk around the sound and lighting desks, when the General Standing layout is used.

With the Optimum Standing layout, the sound and lighting desks are usually located up in between the two tiers of the seated blocks (A - G, and H - P). The sound and lighting desks are usually situated between Block D and Block L.

With the Optimum Standing layout, if you have a standing ticket, when you go into the standing area for the first time, the security give you a wristband at entrances on the left and right hand side, and if you go back out to the bars or toilets, they check that you have a wristband, each time you re-enter the standing area.

I think it's easier just to buy a standing ticket. When buying a seated ticket, online, and it selects you tickets, the only way to find out what other seats are available and what aren't, is to go into one of the Ticketmaster outlets or ring up the booking phone, because online, if you select seats, and it selects you seats in Block B, as an example, it doesn't let you know what other Blocks may have available seats, for example what other tickets may be available in Block D, which is centrally located.

(For live music gigs, when buying online with ticketmaster, we don't have the option of an interactive seat plan, which would indicate throughout the venue, what seats are available and what aren't.

(Frustratingly, this option is available when buying musical and theatre and sporting events on ticketmaster.ie)

Also, for gigs in the 3 Arena, we no longer have the option of checking each individual seated block on ticketmaster.ie. Up until recently, if you selected tiered seating as your ticket option, it used to have a drop down menu, of each block and you could check tickets in each block. That option is no longer available.
    rubadub wrote: »
    Standing should be fine. The area is large enough, I am guessing you might be looking at a seating chart which shows disproportionate sizes.

here is another more to scale.

Nice photo, rubadub, which gig was that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭hopeso

Two excellent replies! Thanks! :)

Nice photo, rubadub, which gig was that?
    I don't know, I just found it on google images. I see "little mix" have it on twitter but its not neccesarily their show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

Those posters concerned by having to pay €6.10 service charge per ticket should buy their tickets in a ticketmaster outlet where fees are around €2.30 per ticket

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Rick has unfortunately had a heart attack and been hospitalized in Turkey.

rte.ie/entertainment/2016/0617/796442-status-quos-rick-parfitt-treated-after-heart-attack/

Hope he is going to be alright. Almost 20 years now since his quadruple bypass. Some legend to keep on playing. Fingers crossed we'll see him in October but many would have understandably put away the plectrum long ago faced with similar health concerns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭q2xv9rjei4awgb

Don't think Rick will be there....

Personally, after going to see them nearly 60 times since the early 90's, and being a hardcore fan, I'm not bothered going. I went to the two tours of the original line up in 2013 and 2014 and they were both utterly brilliant. No point going to see a lesser version after seeing the fantastic original line up.

Plus, Parfitt won't be there so it most certainly won't be Quo

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Don't think Rick will be there....

Personally, after going to see them nearly 60 times since the early 90's, and being a hardcore fan, I'm not bothered going. I went to the two tours of the original line up in 2013 and 2014 and they were both utterly brilliant. No point going to see a lesser version after seeing the fantastic original line up.

Plus, Parfitt won't be there so it most certainly won't be Quo

Oh that's a big shame - only Francis Rossi left. Is there really no chance of Rick appearing?

• Advertisement

greendom wrote: »
    Oh that's a big shame - only Francis Rossi left. Is there really no chance of Rick appearing?

Unless I missed it, I haven't read any official statement from the band or the band's management, confirming whether or not Rick Parfitt will be playing at the shows in October, November and December.

It would appear, that so far, it has not been officially stated that he won't be playing at these shows.

On the band's website the most recent statement is dated 8th July 2016, and in the last paragraph it states:

"Both the band and Rick would like to thank the fans for their continued understanding and support and would like to stress that he will return to the fold as soon as possible, but in Rick's best interests any return will not be rushed until he makes a full and absolute recovery. No further comment will be made at this time".

The 8th July 2016 statement is below.

http://www.statusquo.co.uk/

Press Release: Friday 08th July

"Simon Porter, the band’s manager said, "Rick is now making an excellent and steady recovery from an extremely serious life threatening situation following a Quo show in Turkey last month. He has now had a defibrillator fitted into his chest in order to regulate any future heart issues and has left hospital in order to recuperate with family and friends."

"Although I am now happy to report that his medical team anticipate that Rick will make a full recovery, it will likely be a long and ongoing process."

"To this end, Rick has given his full blessing for the band to continue with the current summer touring schedule utilizing guest guitarists. Freddie Edwards, son of Quo bass player John 'Rhino' Edwards has successfully stepped in for Rick over recent gigs and will now continue for the majority of Quo's shows during July and August, the current exceptions being gigs in Leuven, Belgium and Edinburgh, Scotland on July 20th and 23rd where Irish guitarist Richie Malone will step in."

"Rick’s family have said, "We would like to thank everyone including the fans for their messages of support during the last weeks and especially the kindness and care of all the staff at the Royal Brompton."

"Both the band and Rick would like to thank the fans for their continued understanding and support and would like to stress that he will return to the fold as soon as possible, but in Rick's best interests any return will not be rushed until he makes a full and absolute recovery. No further comment will be made at this time."

Trust me, Rick won't be there. I dont think the band are arsed if he is

Trust me, Rick won't be there. I dont think the band are arsed if he is

Unless there is an official statement - in advance of the gigs - confirming that he won't be playing, we won't know.

I guess, if he doesn't play, they will release a statement confirming that - in the same way they did in the 8th July statement, where it indicated what shows that Freddie Edwards and Richie Malone would be playing.

Unless there is an official statement - in advance of the gigs - confirming that he won't be playing, we won't know.

I guess, if he doesn't play, they will release a statement confirming that - in the same way they did in the 8th July statement, where it indicated what shows that Freddie Edwards and Richie Malone would be playing.

Going by Rossi's latest interviews and comments lately, he won't be there and he has stressed Quo can go on without him. (Bollocks really, as it's barely Quo even with Rick) Rick also hasn't been getting on too well with him since Rossi vetoed anymore FF gigs and when Rick had a heart attack last year, on the tour bus, Francis was woken up, told about it, shrugged his shoulders and went back to sleep and that's from Francis' own mouth.

They are risking a lot here by selling tickets for a gig, which Rick is advertised for.

Confirmed. Rick won't be there.

Anyone want my tickets? One standing, one seated. Were 80 each, can have them for 50 each.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I just stumbled on this thread. Cant believe they're (or whats left) are still at it.

I saw them three times back in the day, was never really a fan but they were at festivals I was at and they were always brilliant at getting a crowd going. I never bought an album but i'll always have a soft spot for them.

Confirmed. Rick won't be there.

Anyone want my tickets? One standing, one seated. Were 80 each, can have them for 50 each.

Would the fact that Uriah Heep are supporting not change your mind about not going? It's a rare appearance here by Uriah Heep.

I guess this confirmation was expected, really. But it'll be odd seeing them without Rick Parfitt.

The official statement is on the band's site www.statusquo.co.uk

Would the fact that Uriah Heep are supporting not change your mind about not going? It's a rare appearance here by Uriah Heep.

I guess this confirmation was expected, really. But it'll be odd seeing them without Rick Parfitt.

The official statement is on the band's site www.statusquo.co.uk

Nah unfortunately not I'm afraid

The original line up reuniting in 2013 and 2014 changed my perception on the Rossi version of the band. Decided I wouldn't go see them again without John and Alan.

Only bought tickets for this because it's the last proper tour. It's now just Rossi and guests.

A sad way for a great band to end. The way their management have dealt with this has been disgraceful tbh

Nah unfortunately not I'm afraid

The original line up reuniting in 2013 and 2014 changed my perception on the Rossi version of the band. Decided I wouldn't go see them again without John and Alan.

Only bought tickets for this because it's the last proper tour. It's now just Rossi and guests.

A sad way for a great band to end. The way their management have dealt with this has been disgraceful tbh

What do you reckon the band's management should have done.

I'd say it was a very awkward situation for them and the band to be in. When Rick Parfitt became ill earlier in the Summer, there were a good few tour dates already arranged for the Summer months.

Perhaps these dates in October, November and December were also arranged and confirmed - but not publicly announced - at the time Rick Parfitt became ill?

(What I've noticed about gigs in general is that once a band finishes a tour, or a section of a tour, very often, another date is announced. As an example, the day Simply Red played in the Marquee in Cork on 11th June this year, I heard an ad on the radio about the gig they are doing in the 3 Arena Dublin on 11th November, which went on sale on 15th June.)

What was interesting about that was that the Cork gig was by Aiken and the Dublin gig in November is by MCD, so perhaps these gigs are arranged months in advance of the public announcements. Maybe that is the case with Status Quo's gigs in October, November and December, and that perhaps these shows were confirmed before Rick Parfitt became ill?

I read on one of the message boards around the time of the Frantic Four gig in Dublin that Alan Lancaster, John Coghlan and Rick Parfitt were all into doing more shows, but that Francis Rossi, wasn't into it. I don't know if that is accurate.

The band is not ending, though. It sounds like the plan is that Rick will return once he is well enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

The band is not ending, though. It sounds like the plan is that Rick will return once he is well enough.

Doubt it. 4 heart attacks in recent years and hes nearly 68.

Advertisement