Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Status Quo

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭q2xv9rjei4awgb

What do you reckon the band's management should have done.

I'd say it was a very awkward situation for them and the band to be in. When Rick Parfitt became ill earlier in the Summer, there were a good few tour dates already arranged for the Summer months.

Perhaps these dates in October, November and December were also arranged and confirmed - but not publicly announced - at the time Rick Parfitt became ill?

(What I've noticed about gigs in general is that once a band finishes a tour, or a section of a tour, very often, another date is announced. As an example, the day Simply Red played in the Marquee in Cork on 11th June this year, I heard an ad on the radio about the gig they are doing in the 3 Arena Dublin on 11th November, which went on sale on 15th June.)

What was interesting about that was that the Cork gig was by Aiken and the Dublin gig in November is by MCD, so perhaps these gigs are arranged months in advance of the public announcements. Maybe that is the case with Status Quo's gigs in October, November and December, and that perhaps these shows were confirmed before Rick Parfitt became ill?

I read on one of the message boards around the time of the Frantic Four gig in Dublin that Alan Lancaster, John Coghlan and Rick Parfitt were all into doing more shows, but that Francis Rossi, wasn't into it. I don't know if that is accurate.

The band is not ending, though. It sounds like the plan is that Rick will return once he is well enough.

Right, to clarify

Rick, Alan and John wanted to reunited the band permanently. Francis didn't because he'd lose control. He refused to do so.

He wants to quit touring so they can do this acoustic stuff, that Nathan Carter does. He has recently said he prefers it over the type of stuff that made Quo famous and regrets not doing it earlier

The current band are basically his backing band.

Rick will not be coming back. Francis and the rest recently stressed that Quo can go on without him.

Read the statement, if that was the case, no doctor in the world would allow Rick to think he could go back touring after that. The management knew he wasn't going to be fit to do it and sold tickets on the back of advertising him for the gig, even though he wasn't going to be there.

Rossi now has what he wants. He's playing the crappy, poppy, Everley Brothers type stuff he always wanted.

He's in full control, with no one to answer to.

The management have shifted tickets advertising Rick, even though he was never going to be there and got publicity out of this.

It's a farcical situation and a disgrace they are going ahead without Rick

Refunds should be offered for those who bought tickets and legally, it's a must

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

The Nal wrote: »
    Doubt it. 4 heart attacks in recent years and hes nearly 68.

I was just going by what they are saying in the official statement.

Right, to clarify

Rick, Alan and John wanted to reunited the band permanently. Francis didn't because he'd lose control. He refused to do so.

He wants to quit touring so they can do this acoustic stuff, that Nathan Carter does. He has recently said he prefers it over the type of stuff that made Quo famous and regrets not doing it earlier

The current band are basically his backing band.

Rick will not be coming back. Francis and the rest recently stressed that Quo can go on without him.

Read the statement, if that was the case, no doctor in the world would allow Rick to think he could go back touring after that. The management knew he wasn't going to be fit to do it and sold tickets on the back of advertising him for the gig, even though he wasn't going to be there.

Rossi now has what he wants. He's playing the crappy, poppy, Everley Brothers type stuff he always wanted.

He's in full control, with no one to answer to.

The management have shifted tickets advertising Rick, even though he was never going to be there and got publicity out of this.

It's a farcical situation and a disgrace they are going ahead without Rick

Refunds should be offered for those who bought tickets and legally, it's a must

What I'm wondering is, whether or not the dates in October, November and December, The Last of the Electric dates, were all confirmed and arranged before Rick Parfitt became ill.

But also, was the option of postponing them, considered?

What I'm wondering is, whether or not the dates in October, November and December, The Last of the Electric dates, were all confirmed and arranged before Rick Parfitt became ill.

But also, was the option of postponing them, considered?

This is the thing.

Why couldn't they just do what AC/DC done.

Offer refunds to people who bought tickets for the gigs that Brian Johnson couldn't do

Regardless anyways. It's 6 weeks or so to the gig and they've only sold the standing section and 3 sections of seats.

This is the thing.

Why couldn't they just do what AC/DC done.

Offer refunds to people who bought tickets for the gigs that Brian Johnson couldn't do

Regardless anyways. It's 6 weeks or so to the gig and they've only sold the standing section and 3 sections of seats.

I was just checking again, and on ticketmaster it states that the Dublin gigs went on sale on 22nd April and on Wikipedia it states that he had the heart attack on 14th June.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Parfitt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 DogofTwoHead

Just went on ticketmaster to buy tickets and all the bloody standing tickets are gone ! I thought they'd be no problem getting standing tickets !
    I know it wont be the same without Rick but its still Quo !

Just went on ticketmaster to buy tickets and all the bloody standing tickets are gone ! I thought they'd be no problem getting standing tickets !
    I know it wont be the same without Rick but its still Quo !

How in God's name is it still Quo?

No Rick, no Alan, no John....A stand in guitarist from a Quo tribute band, the drummer from Rossi's solo band and Francis himself. That's not Quo....
    No Rain, Little Lady, Backwater, Just Take Me, Juniors Wailing, Roadhouse Blues, Big Fat Mama, Mystery Song, Don't Drive My Car, Whatever You Want, Living On An Island, 4500 times and the harmonies between the two/three members will be gone

It won't even sound like Quo.

However, each to their own I suppose. With people getting refunds, the standing tickets should become available soon

Oh I know where you're coming from and I agree with you.
    Saw the Frantic Four in Hammersmith '13 and Dublin '14. Magical !But so happy to have experienced that, thought it would never happen but at least we got that.
    I'm still going to see Panto Quo though, still a good show and better than most other crap on offer, probably the last time of electrics in Ireland at least.
    I think they may do an odd festival in Europe/UK over the next couple of years to get to the '50' mark and hopefully Rick might be able to do a few gigs in time if health improves.
    Don't think I would go to an Aquostic gig but some of it is ok, some of it terrible !
    My opinion is its still good to have them in any lineup, although never better than the original. Most bands of this era are similar in terms of lineup

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

The parents are heading along to this tonight? Does anyone know the stage times? Cheers!

• Advertisement

johnnykilo wrote: »
    The parents are heading along to this tonight? Does anyone know the stage times? Cheers!

Rossi is on at 9 anyways to play to an 80% empty arena

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Full house down here tonight.

Uriah Heep just blew the roof off.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Full house down here tonight.

Uriah Heep just blew the roof off.

are they using the full arena or is top tier cordoned off?

scudzilla wrote: »
    are they using the full arena or is top tier cordoned off?

Curtained off certainly.

On Ticketmaster yesterday and they were selling tickets for blocks B, C, D and E

No curtains.

I'm in second row from the very back, row 31 block c.

Repeat: FULL HOUSE!

No curtains.

I'm in second row from the very back, row 31 block c.

Repeat: FULL HOUSE!

The very back?

Sorry but, block C is right in FRONT of the stage, down the middle.

It was NOT a full house when I went looking for tickets last night and this morning.

The very back?

Sorry but, block C is right in FRONT of the stage, down the middle.

It was NOT a full house when I went looking for tickets last night and this morning.

Edit: the above poster is correct. The back tier (including block k) is cordoned off.

I'm in the back block c (not anywhere near the stage).

I'm telling you its a full house with what's here.

Now I'm going to enjoy the rest of the gig if you don't mind.

Enjoy Graham Norton.

Edit: the above poster is correct. The back tier (including block k) is cordoned off.

I'm in the back block c (not anywhere near the stage).

I'm telling you its a full house with what's here.

Now I'm going to enjoy the rest of the gig if you don't mind.

Enjoy Graham Norton.

Classic Francis Rossi fan....That bored during a gig, she decides to post on the internet, then becomes really defensive.....Not to worry, I'm sure Alan, John, Rick and Francis will reunite again and blast out In The Army or the Anniversary Waltz :D

So, we've gotten to the truth then? Empty seats and curtained off sections?! Good, because I was utterly stunned by how many tickets were left this morning

Classic Francis Rossi fan....That bored during a gig, she decides to post on the internet, then becomes really defensive.....Not to worry, I'm sure Alan, John, Rick and Francis will reunite again and blast out In The Army or the Anniversary Waltz :D

So, we've gotten to the truth then? Empty seats and curtained off sections?! Good, because I was utterly stunned by how many tickets were left this morning

The first section of seated blocks were open - Blocks A to G, but the second upper tier of seated blocks from H to P were covered over, with that curtain/ partition they use, that looks like at brick wall.

The standing layout was the Optimum Standing, which is a smaller standing area, than the general standing layout that opens back to the bars and merchandise area.

I thought the gig was really good, and it was great to see Uriah Heep, who played for an hour. They opened with Gypsy!

Bernie Shaw said the last time Uriah Heep played Dublin was 38 years ago. In Belfast he said it was 30 years since Uriah Heep played Belfast.

It was strange seeing Status Quo without Rick Parfitt, but they did sound good. A lot of the vocals that Rick would have been doing, were done by John Edwards and Andrew Bown. They did play Rain and Whatever You Want, but not Big Fat Mama or Living on an Island, and some others like Little Lady or Don't Drive My Car.

Rick's recent statements suggest that he is not enthused about the acoustic direction taken in recent times, and that he doesn't intend rejoining the band.

I wonder, if he ever does decide to rejoin the band in the future, could he be given the clearance and the go ahead, from his doctors, to go out on tour, at a later stage?

He is quoted in this BBC news item as being "fully recovered".

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-37797845

The first section of seated blocks were open - Blocks A to G, but the second upper tier of seated blocks from H to P were covered over, with that curtain/ partition they use, that looks like at brick wall.

The standing layout was the Optimum Standing, which is a smaller standing area, than the general standing layout that opens back to the bars and merchandise area.

I thought the gig was really good, and it was great to see Uriah Heep, who played for an hour. They opened with Gypsy!

Bernie Shaw said the last time Uriah Heep played Dublin was 38 years ago. In Belfast he said it was 30 years since Uriah Heep played Belfast.

It was strange seeing Status Quo without Rick Parfitt, but they did sound good. A lot of the vocals that Rick would have been doing, were done by John Edwards and Andrew Bown. They did play Rain and Whatever You Want, but not Big Fat Mama or Living on an Island, and some others like Little Lady or Don't Drive My Car.

Rick's recent statements suggest that he is not enthused about the acoustic direction taken in recent times, and that he doesn't intend rejoining the band.

I wonder, if he ever does decide to rejoin the band in the future, could he be given the clearance and the go ahead, from his doctors, to go out on tour, at a later stage?

He is quoted in this BBC news item as being "fully recovered".

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-37797845

Rick won't rejoin. Story is that himself and Francis had a huge falling out over the FF reunions and over Francis' refusal to do any more. In fact, Rick travelled alone, in his car, during the winter tour last year. That's how bad it got.

Have to say, that makes absolute grim reading, with the sections being curtained off. I heard there was only 4000 at it last night, in comparison to the FF gig there, which was sold out at 14,500.

Oh and for the record, Edwards and Bown have weak voices and sing out of tune 90% of the time so, Rick is still king :D

• Advertisement

Rick won't rejoin. Story is that himself and Francis had a huge falling out over the FF reunions and over Francis' refusal to do any more. In fact, Rick travelled alone, in his car, during the winter tour last year. That's how bad it got.

Have to say, that makes absolute grim reading, with the sections being curtained off. I heard there was only 4000 at it last night, in comparison to the FF gig there, which was sold out at 14,500.

Oh and for the record, Edwards and Bown have weak voices and sing out of tune 90% of the time so, Rick is still king :D

Is the 14,500 capacity figure not for shows that have the full general standing layout?

The Frantic Four gig in the Three Arena in April 2014 had the Optimum Standing layout. But yes, even if the capacity for the Optimum Standing layout is less than 14,500, I think the Frantic Four April 2014 gig was pretty much sold out. I think there were just a small amount of upper balcony seated tickets, from Blocks H to P, available in the days before the gig.

In fairness, the seated blocks that were open last night were quite full, and although there were empty seats, here and there, there were far more there than you had suggested!:)

If they hadn't played The Odyssey Arena Belfast the night before, there would, quite possibly, have been even more at the Dublin gig.

When the Frantic Four gig was held in The 3 Arena in April 2014, they didn't also play Belfast.

I'm not sure if Status Quo have ever played both the Odyssey Arena and The 3 Arena, one night after another.

I am open to correction on that, but as far as I can recall, in recent years, since 2001 anyway, when Status Quo have played Dublin, it has been in the Olympia, apart from the October 2002 and October 2006 concerts in the Point Theatre.

Did they also play Belfast on those two occasions when they played The Point Theatre?

They have played the Waterfront Hall and The Olympia Theatre on other tours, but both those venues have a much smaller capacity.

If there were 4000 at the gig last night, it is way more people than would fit in any of the other Dublin venues, as there isn't any venue with a capacity in between the sizes of the Olympia/Vicar Street and the 3 Arena, except for The RDS Main Hall - and also the Bord Gais Energy Theatre which I think is around 2000 capacity but is always fully seated shows.

The RDS Main Hall is an in between size venue, but I don't think Aiken Promotions or MCD, - have used The RDS Main Hall indoor venue, since the period, around 2007 and 2008, when the Point was being refurbished, and then later reopened and rebranded as the 02 in late 2008.

I think, in recent years, any time Status Quo have played Dublin it was MCD who promoted it. Aiken promoted the Cork Marquee gig in June 2015. I'm not sure who promoted the Derry June 2013 gig, that was held as part of a series of gigs, as part of a Festival in Derry that year.

Is the 14,500 capacity figure not for shows that have the full general standing layout?

The Frantic Four gig in the Three Arena in April 2014 had the Optimum Standing layout. But yes, even if the capacity for the Optimum Standing layout is less than 14,500, I think the Frantic Four April 2014 gig was pretty much sold out. I think there were just a small amount of upper balcony seated tickets, from Blocks H to P, available in the days before the gig.

In fairness, the seated blocks that were open last night were quite full, and although there were empty seats, here and there, there were far more there than you had suggested!:)

If they hadn't played The Odyssey Arena Belfast the night before, there would, quite possibly, have been even more at the Dublin gig.

When the Frantic Four gig was held in The 3 Arena in April 2014, they didn't also play Belfast.

I'm not sure if Status Quo have ever played both the Odyssey Arena and The 3 Arena, one night after another.

I am open to correction on that, but as far as I can recall, in recent years, since 2001 anyway, when Status Quo have played Dublin, it has been in the Olympia, apart from the October 2002 and October 2006 concerts in the Point Theatre.

Did they also play Belfast on those two occasions when they played The Point Theatre?

They have played the Waterfront Hall and The Olympia Theatre on other tours, but both those venues have a much smaller capacity.

If there were 4000 at the gig last night, it is way more people than would fit in any of the other Dublin venues, as there isn't any venue with a capacity in between the sizes of the Olympia/Vicar Street and the 3 Arena, except for The RDS Main Hall - and also the Bord Gais Energy Theatre which I think is around 2000 capacity but is always fully seated shows.

The RDS Main Hall is an in between size venue, but I don't think Aiken Promotions or MCD, - have used The RDS Min Hall indoor venue, since the period, around 2007 or 2008, when the Point was being refurbished, and then later reopened and rebranded as the 02 in late 2008.

I think, in recent years, any time Status Quo have played Dublin it was MCD who promoted it. Aiken promoted the Cork Marquee gig in June 2015. I'm not sure who promoted the Derry June 2013 gig, that was held as part of a series of gigs, as part of a Festival in Derry that year.

Nah, 100% there was 14,500 people at the FF gig in 2014. An amazing gig it was too. Stunning versions of every song.

As for playing Belfast and Dublin...They actually have done both the Point and Odyssey on a few tours believe it or not

I saw the 4000 figure being quoted quite a few times today and, if I'm being honest, I can't say I'm too shocked at all....I mean, Francis Rossi deserves this! He's fallen out with Rick, Alan, John, Jeff and Matt. He's a diva, who is known for getting his own way. He deserves to be playing a gig in front of an 80% empty arena. That band that played last night is essentially a Francis Rossi solo band. It is NOT Status Quo.....

For the record though, I do know where you're coming from. Empty seats and an entire 2nd tier curtained off is shocking. I went onto Ticketmaster yesterday morning and was offered standing tickets and tickets for every block of seats...It was a disaster for a sales point of view. Whether the performance was good or not, is another story

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I was there last night and yes the upper areas where curtained off but the venue looked pretty full tbh. I would have thought 7 -= 8000 approx.

As to the gig it was great - never heard a thing by Uriah Heap before but they were excellent.

Status Quo - could do without the covers but you know what you're going to get. They delivered.

Nah, 100% there was 14,500 people at the FF gig in 2014. An amazing gig it was too. Stunning versions of every song.

As for playing Belfast and Dublin...They actually have done both the Point and Odyssey on a few tours believe it or not

I saw the 4000 figure being quoted quite a few times today and, if I'm being honest, I can't say I'm too shocked at all....I mean, Francis Rossi deserves this! He's fallen out with Rick, Alan, John, Jeff and Matt. He's a diva, who is known for getting his own way. He deserves to be playing a gig in front of an 80% empty arena. That band that played last night is essentially a Francis Rossi solo band. It is NOT Status Quo.....

For the record though, I do know where you're coming from. Empty seats and an entire 2nd tier curtained off is shocking. I went onto Ticketmaster yesterday morning and was offered standing tickets and tickets for every block of seats...It was a disaster for a sales point of view. Whether the performance was good or not, is another story

Are you sure that the 14,500 capacity figure doesn't just apply to when the General Standing layout is used?

I was looking it up on google, and, as an example, the press releases about the 3 Arena, used by two Dublin hotels, state that it is a 14,500, and 14,000 capacity venue, but I'm guessing that that is the figure for the layout that can hold the largest amount of people, which would be the General Standing layout.

http://www.maldronhotelsmithfield.com/whats-on/things-to-do-in-dublin/3arena/

http://www.jackson-court.ie/Explore-Dublin/Dublin-Venues/

The detail on the Live Nation site states:

"3Arena is what Irish music lovers have been waiting for. A stunning, new, state-of-the-art entertainment venue, with the kind of world-class acoustics that great music deserves. The 3Arena contains 9,500 padded seats, but capacity can be expanded up to 14,000 if necessary. The seats are arranged around the stage in a gigantic fan formation, which the architects of the venue have likened to the Colosseum of Rome.
    Read more at http://www.livenation.co.uk/Venue/566260/the-3arena-tickets#dLLtBAzehIH605f7.99".

http://www.livenation.co.uk/Venue/566260/the-3arena-tickets

It sounds like the 14,500 or 14,000 figures listed, apply when using the layout that accommodates as much people as possible, and would not apply for the Optimum Standing layout.

I agree that the Frantic Four gig in Dublin was great, the setlist was great - the 1970 -1976 era, and I'm sure most people who also like the other line up would really like to see more Frantic Four gigs.

What were the disagreements he had with Jeff Rich and Matthew Letley?

Out of curiosity, when you were checking the ticket availability in each of the seated blocks, did you ring ticketmaster?

The reason I ask is that in recent times, on ticketmaster's site, for gigs in the 3 Arena, the option of selecting each different block, to see which rows might be available, is no longer available as an option, after you select the seated tickets option instead of standing.

The only option when buying online for fully seated gigs in the 3 Arena is Flat Seating and Tiered Seating. It doesn't let you check each of seated blocks.

You used to be able to select - on a drop down menu after selecting seated tickets - Block D, the centre Block, for example, but now, often when you select seating just to see what ticket availability is like, if it selects seats in Block G row 16, it might not tell you that there are seats available in Block D Row 17, because the selection process on the website seems to think that best available is the closest available row to the stage, rather than the quality of the view and sound from the seats that it selects as best available.

It's similar when searching for ticket availability on Ticketmaster for Olympia gigs, if you select best available for a fully seated gig, if you are looking for two tickets, if there are 2 available at the edge of row B, it will keep selecting those 2 row B seats and won't indicate that there may well be six available seats in the middle of row F.

The thing that is quite annoying is; that for the Theatre, Sporting and Musical events sold through Ticketmaster's website, the option is open to select tickets from a plan view, where you can see what's available and what isn't.

It's quite the pain the ass!:)

greendom wrote: »
    I was there last night and yes the upper areas where curtained off but the venue looked pretty full tbh. I would have thought 7 -= 8000 approx.

As to the gig it was great - never heard a thing by Uriah Heap before but they were excellent.

Status Quo - could do without the covers but you know what you're going to get. They delivered.

Their first three albums are excellent, and each one sounds quite different.

David Byron, who was their first vocalist, sings on the original recording of Gypsy, the song with which they opened on Saturday.

Well I was there, seemed like a decent crowd to me, guessing 7K. I was in the standing area and it was really good. Never saw so many good looking women at a Quo gig ! Rick was missed but Malone did very good, band seemed in great form and the audience really seemed into it, the singing from the audience was really impressive.
    I'm really upset at whats happened to the band, especially if as seems true that Francis has fallen out with Rick, but it was a hell of a ride. Its not the first band thats become controlled by one member, Rossi certainly seems to be a strange fish at times.
    Great surprise in the Greenroom bar afterwards, Richie Malone arrived in to great applause along with Leon & Rhino. Really sound blokes all of them, they took loads of photos with fans, drank plenty Guinness and even pulled a few pints behind the bar !

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Well I was there, seemed like a decent crowd to me, guessing 7K. I was in the standing area and it was really good. Never saw so many good looking women at a Quo gig ! Rick was missed but Malone did very good, band seemed in great form and the audience really seemed into it, the singing from the audience was really impressive.
    I'm really upset at whats happened to the band, especially if as seems true that Francis has fallen out with Rick, but it was a hell of a ride. Its not the first band thats become controlled by one member, Rossi certainly seems to be a strange fish at times.
    Great surprise in the Greenroom bar afterwards, Richie Malone arrived in to great applause along with Leon & Rhino. Really sound blokes all of them, they took loads of photos with fans, drank plenty Guinness and even pulled a few pints behind the bar !

Richie was there before the gig too!

Advertisement