Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Draft Dublin Tree Strategy 2016-2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Thanks for posting. I am so dismayed at the lack of tree planting nationally, i.e. in our towns, cities, streets and gardens. Dun Laoghaire CoCo rolled out a very elaborate and costly tree strategy in 2010 but with little or no implementation. I have written to them several times even offering to volunteer to plant trees but heard absolutely nothing back from them.

Many of the trees that were planted in the early 1900's as our towns and cities were established have never been replaced and the pavements paved over.

Many of our towns are gray, dismal and baron. A few trees would go a long long way in simply easing, lifting and colouring the grimness.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Chinasea wrote: »
    Thanks for posting. I am so dismayed at the lack of tree planting nationally, i.e. in our towns, cities, streets and gardens. Dun Laoghaire CoCo rolled out a very elaborate and costly tree strategy in 2010 but with little or no implementation. I have written to them several times even offering to volunteer to plant trees but heard absolutely nothing back from them.

Many of the trees that were planted in the early 1900's as our towns and cities were established have never been replaced and the pavements paved over.

Many of our towns are gray, dismal and baron. A few trees would go a long long way in simply easing, lifting and colouring the grimness.

The councils here can be a law unto themselves on many levels. :rolleyes:
    In England there is an arborist on every council, to advise/promote/manage trees on behalf of the council. Here there are none. A horticulturist would not be suitably qualified to assess/manage an urban tree population.

You raise an interesting point though. Back in the 90's I saw a programme on the BBC Open University that was dealing with the building of high rise flats. One aspect of this urban social experiment, was that the blocks of flats were built in such a way that each flat had a view of up to a mile of lines of trees, giving everyone a sense of freedom looking out their windows. I think this made everyone less introspective and happier. I'm sure there were other things involved but to cut a long story short, the outcome of this was that due to a little thought at the construction phase, a community formed within the blocks of flats and it was considered a successful social urban building plan at the time.

Advertisement