Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Upgrade Windows 7 laptop to Windows 10?

• 22-04-2016 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

Hi, looking for some advice/experience from you kind folk as to whether to take the plunge into the free upgrade.

Laptop wasn't exactly top of the range when bought a couple of years ago and I have read somewhere that windows 10 is faster than 7. But I would hate to upgrade and discover problems with the running of my commonly used stuff, Kodi, etc.

Any advice/opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

It really is up to you, if your happy with 7 stay with it. I have a dual boot of 7 Pro and 10 Pro and I see no difference in speed but 10 is a better operating system all round and more secure than 7, but it's entirely up to you. Kodi will run on 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ceekay74

I am happy with 7, but I keep getting the feeling that I'm just putting off the inevitable. Perhaps it's the constant prompting from windows update. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

ceekay74 wrote: »
    I am happy with 7, but I keep getting the feeling that I'm just putting off the inevitable. Perhaps it's the constant prompting from windows update. :pac:
    To get rid of the constant prompting go to windows update, look for installed updates, click on that, in the search bar type in KB3035583 and when it comes up right click it and uninstall it, reboot, go back into updates, check for updates and when KB3035583 comes up just right click and hide update and your done.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭IRL-Tony

ceekay74,

You could upgrade for free, and if you don't like it then got back to w7.
    Whereas, if you leave it til after 29-July you'll have to pay for the w10 upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ceekay74

If you download it & install it, then switch back to windows 7, do you think you could re-install windows 10 from the same download at some point in the future? Avoiding the need to pay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭IRL-Tony

@ceekay74,

I would say Yes (unless you change the motherboard on your device in the meantime).

My reasoning, as I understand it anyway:
    - when you upgrade you receive a 'Digital entitlement' to activate w10 as opposed to a 'physical entitlement' if you went to the shop & bought a copy of w10 to install on your machine.
    -- this digital entitlement must recognise the machine that it's installed onto ... so, likely the motherboard is unique.
    --- so, if you dump the old motherboard then the 'old board + the digital entitlement which is linked to it' goes in the bin.
    - if you don't change the motherboard, I figure that if you go from w7 --> w10 (with the de*) --> w7 --> w10 (your original de* will be recognised/obtained from the motherboard; so, you should have w10 for free again).

That's ho it plays-out in my head.

T

de* = digital entitlement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

You could get a second hard drive and clone the w7 drive. Then you could upgrade and if you don't like it you could replace the hard drive with the clone of W7.

If you connect the two drives to Sata connections on a desktop it would be much faster than using a usb to Sata/IDE connection which you would need purchase as well.

Advertisement