Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acne Management Products

Options
  • 22-04-2016 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi all,

Bascially last year I had a massive breakout and went to local skin clinic. They recommended Obagi Clenziderm products, which are very harsh on the skin but worked fantastically. However if I miss using it for a day or two I break out again.

I am looking for an alternative to this as each product costs approx 50 to buy, so thats the cleansing wash, the toner and the acne treatment and also I can only buy from them and are awkward to get to. I've been looking at a few alternatives, one being the la Roche Possay. However on their american sites, they list the active ingredient as 2% but on the irish ones, they dont have a percentage and its not listed on the botte. :(

The other one ive found online is more expensive that LRP but not as expensive as the Clenziderm is Acnegen.

Has anyone had any experience with any of these??

Thanks in advance.

(please feel free to move thread if I have posted in wrong section)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

This post is confusing me :D

However following with interest as an acne Rosacea sufferer!

I have just started a 3 month course of antibiotics to try and help my skin. I use La Roche Posay micellar gel and there toleraine cleansing milk. Not sure if it's the right way to go or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Rosalind151

la Roche Possay is pretty good. The formulations are different in the US vs Ireland, I first noted that with Clinique (salicilic acid, benzoyl peroxide concentrations are different/ the content of anti acne treatments is different). If you have a severe enough problem, over the counter products are really a waste of money - most of the very efficacious stuff is on prescription.

la Roche Possay is pretty good. The formulations are different in the US vs Ireland, I first noted that with Clinique (salicilic acid, benzoyl peroxide concentrations are different/ the content of anti acne treatments is different). If you have a severe enough problem, over the counter products are really a waste of money - most of the very efficacious stuff is on prescription.

I tried a course of Rozex (metronidazole) cream on prescription for over 3 months and it didn't help at all, I was gutted

Sorry to hear. I guess La Roche is worth a try... Did you Dr mention any second line treatments? Maybe going back to them may be an idea... It is disappointing tho. I have a slightly different problem - I am not sure of the name, but it isn't rosacea anyway. It appears I have become resistant to a lot of the treatmetns. Like they work for 4-6 months and then they stop having any effect. It is a case of trial and error, so best of luck, I am sure you will bump into something that works :)

Sorry to hear. I guess La Roche is worth a try... Did you Dr mention any second line treatments? Maybe going back to them may be an idea... It is disappointing tho. I have a slightly different problem - I am not sure of the name, but it isn't rosacea anyway. It appears I have become resistant to a lot of the treatmetns. Like they work for 4-6 months and then they stop having any effect. It is a case of trial and error, so best of luck, I am sure you will bump into something that works :)

What would be the second line treatments?

I am just a couple of weeks into the course of antibiotics now. I am allergic to doxycycline which is usually what they put people on as a first line treatment so I can't have any of the antibiotics in that class.

So I am on erythromycin now. I'm not sure if there's any improvement so far, maybe a little or it could be coincidence!

I'm using la Roche posay for a few months now and while I do like it I don't think it'll be a miracle cure unfortunately lol :-)

• Advertisement

What would be the second line treatments?

I think it really depends on your exact situation (it's more of a medical question really). For example, retinoids, topical and oral, are relevant second/third line treatments for some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

I've had acne for years and only began to manage it when I read about benzoyl peroxide.

There was an over the counter brand called Quinoderm which did the job fantastically and acted as a great make-up base. Unfortunately, that's no longer for sale so I got a prescription for Duac gel, which also contains benzoyl peroxide. It's also extremely effective. I was just filling the prescription this week and the pharmacist asked if I suffer from body acne, and when I said nah, it's for my face - she was shocked!! One of the best feel good about my skin moments in my life - when for well over a decade there was none.

La_Gordy wrote: »
    I've had acne for years and only began to manage it when I read about benzoyl peroxide.

There was an over the counter brand called Quinoderm which did the job fantastically and acted as a great make-up base. Unfortunately, that's no longer for sale so I got a prescription for Duac gel, which also contains benzoyl peroxide. It's also extremely effective. I was just filling the prescription this week and the pharmacist asked if I suffer from body acne, and when I said nah, it's for my face - she was shocked!! One of the best feel good about my skin moments in my life - when for well over a decade there was none.

I a pretty sure you can get Quinoderm in the UK. It is a mix of Benzoyl Peroxide and an antibiotic. I used it and Duac, and they stopped working after a while... Luck you!

Another second/third treatment for acne to consider is the pill, again, it is very much for a medical discussion.

In terms of make up for oily skin etc, I found a particular blogger v good, but Boards won't let me post the link (

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

My own experience I find La Roche Posay very good and Vichy was well. Certain branded products that Spa's sell are good too. Aeven is ok. I've used some of their products but found little difference compared to some other products i've used. Foam cleansers are good or water based. Keep note of pharmacies and shops having sales on the big brands i've mentioned worth keeping in mind rather than paying full whack for them in one go. Try one branded product and see how you get on. Everyone's skin can vary. I've used a peat mask and its excellent for the skin improves circulation as well.

Scrubs can be a bit severe on the skin so limit once or twice a week or not at all. I've stopped used facial wipes and has made a difference to mine as I've oily/combination with acne and dry patches which can get flakey sometimes. No7 is a bit severe on the skin only use small bit of the products where as the other brands are good. Clarins is another one has a foam cleanser is very good cleans out the pores very well but find some of their products a bit rich consistency on the skin and too strong a smell of them sometimes.

Beauticians can vary on recommendations a lot of it is trial and error. Avoid Neutrogena, clean and clear I think it is. Too harsh on the skin. Nivea is ok but stopped using it and simple only use what stuff I might still have left and finish them up. Found that Simple and Lancome dried out my skin far too much. Garnier is ok its mild not too rich or severe on the skin.

Diet take note if you have allergies or intolerance to anything, sleep and lifestyle and how much water intake can affect your skin too. Wash hair frequently and wash pillowcases often is the advice i've read up on. The products containing benzoyl peroxide or salicylic ingredients in products are good if you haven't gone down the medicated creams or medication route.

I agree that concentrations from Ireland/UK/Europe V US can vary. Hope my advice helps. Best of luck OP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

I a pretty sure you can get Quinoderm in the UK. It is a mix of Benzoyl Peroxide and an antibiotic. I used it and Duac, and they stopped working after a while... Luck you!

Another second/third treatment for acne to consider is the pill, again, it is very much for a medical discussion.
    (

I WISH! Ahm in the UK - it's an EU wide ban! http://www.quinoderm.co.uk/where-to-buy

Sorry to hear Duac stopped working. It's so devestating when you find something effective and then the acne fights back. What are you using now?

Btw also agreed about the pill - Dianette is ma pal.

• Advertisement

La_Gordy wrote: »
    Sorry to hear Duac stopped working. It's so devestating when you find something effective and then the acne fights back. What are you using now?

Btw also agreed about the pill - Dianette is ma pal.

That's mad about Quinoderm. Yasminelle (pill) and differin (topical retinoid) are very good. My chin and forehead are still not ideal... Any tips for that?

That's mad about Quinoderm. Yasminelle (pill) and differin (topical retinoid) are very good. My chin and forehead are still not ideal... Any tips for that?

Have you tried La Roches Effaclar duo?

I have combination skin so haven't but if you're a is any way oily it is supposed to be great

I am a little apprehensive about it cos it isnt oil free. I heard it is very good from some people, but the reviews even on their own website contain pretty negative impressions. Trial and error I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

I have combination skin so haven't but if you're a is any way oily it is supposed to be great

I have combination skin too, oily T zone dry cheeks. I have used it in the past and it's effective but only use it on the affected areas or you'll be dry as a crisp. I felt it helped with the active breakouts but the red marks left afterwards took longer to fade.

My favourite LRP face wash wasn't from that range, it was the Toleriane cleansing wash. pH balanced and really gentle.

If anyone is looking for an alternative to LRP in a similar price bracket, the Avene Cleanance range is great. Specifically the retinaldehyde containing products. I think it's actually better than LRP.

At the moment I'm using isotrexin gel. My skin is just alright, it goes through rough patches such as at the moment but I think this latest episode is down to stress and lack of sleep studying for final exams. Overall I really recommend isotrexin gel. Better than Differin and Duac in my experience. Again, dries you to a crisp so you need a good moisturiser and only apply it where needed. You can get it from the GP.

Victoria. wrote: »
    I have combination skin too, oily T zone dry cheeks. I have used it in the past and it's effective but only use it on the affected areas or you'll be dry as a crisp. I felt it helped with the active breakouts but the red marks left afterwards took longer to fade.

My favourite LRP face wash wasn't from that range, it was the Toleriane cleansing wash. pH balanced and really gentle.

If anyone is looking for an alternative to LRP in a similar price bracket, the Avene Cleanance range is great. Specifically the retinaldehyde containing products. I think it's actually better than LRP.

At the moment I'm using isotrexin gel. My skin is just alright, it goes through rough patches such as at the moment but I think this latest episode is down to stress and lack of sleep studying for final exams. Overall I really recommend isotrexin gel. Better than Differin and Duac in my experience. Again, dries you to a crisp so you need a good moisturiser and only apply it where needed. You can get it from the GP.

I use the la Roche toleriane cleansing cream too I love it!

Only thing that confuses me is the bottle says not to wipe away just pat dry, where as online it says remove with cotton wool or whatever!

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭IrishPhoenix

Try Paulas choice bha/aha liquid exfoliator. One of the best skincare decisions I ever made. Its got glycolic and salicylic acid in it and it made blemishes disappear faster than Duac (which I've also used)

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Newport81

Have to say I noticed a great difference after a month of using Paula's choice bha

Can that be bought in Irish stores or just online?

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Newport81

Can that be bought in Irish stores or just online?

no, i buy it from look fantastic website :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Jwacqui

My skin has been horrible since Christmas. Really bad breakouts that I've never experienced before. Tried the la Roche posay effaclar kit with the wash, toner and effaclar duo did nothing.

Was really starting to upset me my friends who sufferes with acne recommended dermalogica medi bac. I bought the kit which had minis of all the products was €56 I think and after 3 weeks this is the result! I'm delighted!! My skin is combination and sensitive. Oily t zone, dry cheeks and can be sensitive. The products are a little drying but I'm used the Avene mask and my skin is really supple and moisturised.

2nk5105.jpg

s6hmbp.jpg

2cyo65k.jpg

• Advertisement

Wow your skin looks amazing!

Wow your skin looks amazing!

It's really made a difference. The breakouts were extremely sore nearly like boils. Some were red lumps and other big yellow spots. I can't believe the difference in my skin. I dunno how well it would work for others but I'd spend the money again in a heartbeat.

The Avene mask is great and even my make up is going on so much better. I went to the salon first and they gave me samples of everything from dermalogica and after a couple of days I could see a little improvement so took the plunge and bought them. Glad I did!

I'm getting married in a year and was terrified my skin would be the same!

Jwacqui wrote: »
    It's really made a difference. The breakouts were extremely sore nearly like boils. Some were red lumps and other big yellow spots. I can't believe the difference in my skin. I dunno how well it would work for others but I'd spend the money again in a heartbeat.

The Avene mask is great and even my make up is going on so much better. I went to the salon first and they gave me samples of everything from dermalogica and after a couple of days I could see a little improvement so took the plunge and bought them. Glad I did!

I'm getting married in a year and was terrified my skin would be the same!

I'm getting married in 13 months!! I really have to try this my skin is in such a state it's getting me down :(

I'm nearly a month into a 3 month course of antibiotics for it but so far I don't see much difference!

I'm getting married in 13 months!! I really have to try this my skin is in such a state it's getting me down :(

I'm nearly a month into a 3 month course of antibiotics for it but so far I don't see much difference!

Well technically I'm 13 months too. Next June!

That was my last step before going to the doctor. I'm just lucky it cleared up. I have to say I really recommend dermalogica. All their products are super good. Expensive but worth it!
    I use the daily microexfoliant and love it! Was €53 on its own tho! Lasts ages! It's a powder and lathers up.

Jwacqui wrote: »
    Well technically I'm 14 months too. Next June!

That was my last step before going to the doctor. I'm just lucky it cleared up. I have to say I really recommend dermalogica. All their products are super good. Expensive but worth it!
    I use the daily microexfoliant and love it! Was €53 on its own tho! Lasts ages! It's a powder and lathers up.

That's brill you must be delighted!

I actually have the microfolient and love it but my son got a bit of water in it a while back and I'm not sure if it's still ok to use. I think I'll chuck it and buy a new one and the medi bac :)

I have been reading up and there is a theory that dairy can have an effect on acne. I'm considering trying dairy free for a couple weeks to see if it helps at all.

I have bad rosacea too which I hate, even one glass of wine and I go like a beetroot!! I hope the makeup artist can work her magic for my wedding lol there are 3 of us with skin problems.

What's crap is I never had spots as a teenager, it only began after having my first child and since my second a year ago it has gone from bad to worse

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

I have developed adult acne in the last 5 years and after a lot of treatment meds etc I can tell you the best course of action for me is Vit A 5000 units daily with a high strength zinc tablet, you need to get actual Vit A not the rubbish they try to give you in the likes of H&B! I get mine in the health food shop think its Solas brand? My acne has gone from huge pustules bleeding and agony to literally zero
    Skin care wise I use la roche posay zinc range as well as nip + fab wipes about 3 days a week as recommended on another thread a few months ago

Great advice I'll try that also.

Does anyone find their spots get extremely itchy??

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭cookiesmuggler

Can the dermalogica products be bought in chemists or only online??

A lot of beauty salons sell them.

Are you Dublin based?

• Advertisement

Most chemists and salons stock them.

I got mine in nail and beauty bar, I've bought their products in my essence before in town. And I've also bought it in llyods pharmacy.

Advertisement