Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSU query, is it starting to fail

Options
  • 22-04-2016 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭

Hi chaps

PSU is a EVGA SuperNOVA 750W PC Power Supply - Gold
    Occasionally it will power down for no reason at all and restart itself. I am also getting coil whine from my 390x, I RMA'd the first one but the replacement developed the same issue within a few days.

I downloaded OCCT psu test tonight to run the power supply test and I was a bit surprised when I looked at the results. Especially the 5V and 12V results.
    I did not let it run for long as I have read that long usage can damage your psu/system

I have attached a file with a pic of the readings. Should i be looking at ordering a new psu or am i running the test incorrectly?
    I dont have access to a spare psu atm.

I have run malware and virus checkers and system appears clean.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

That does look bad. Could you check with a non-stress test program such as speedfan and post a picture of the results? You can also try getting your hands on a multimeter and verify that the outputs are incorrect. I would suggest this route as a faulty PSU could damage other components, so the less you turn the PC on, the better. There are plenty of guides on google for how to check the different outputs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Hi

I deleted the OCCT program and had a look with HWInfo64 instead as a friend of mine pointed out that with readings like that , it was unlikely my machine would turn on.
    I will post the readings tonight but they were much tighter to what they should be, ie within a few %, no more than 2% out.
    I took out the psu at the weekend and checked for dust, inserted all the power cables again and removed them from the gpu and put those back in to.
    Its very random and annoying when it does happen.
    I have a fair bit of coil whine with my gpu (XFX 390X, the second of these actually, the first had CW too so I returned it, the replacement developed CW a few days after going in.)
    Another oddity, if I was gaming, say WoW for instance and left my pc for a 20mins and came back, the screen could be blurry and moving from side to side. To fix this I would reboot. (Also havent seen this issue since i removed psu and leads and reset the leads.)
    I doubt that that has anything to do with it unless its a sign that a capacitor in the psu is starting to go. I have been using pc since the weekend without any issues.

I did turn off the eco mode when putting the psu back in.
    The psu is a good quality one and shouldnt be giving issues, well hopefully :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Aye, it is a good brand. It's a weird one. Nice to see it is working though. Might have simply been a loose contact if reseating the power cables has sorted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Xenoronin wrote: »
    Aye, it is a good brand. It's a weird one. Nice to see it is working though. Might have simply been a loose contact if reseating the power cables has sorted it.

Fingers crossed , one of the cables was a bit stretched from the psu to the gpu, so re set it to not have as far to travel and maybe its something simple like that.

Now, if only the coil whine was as easy to fix. :)
    Roll on next gen cards going to RMA this one and see if the newer cards are quieter and more powerful ofc.

Advertisement