Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Not losing weight grrrr!!!

• 22-04-2016 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭

Hi all, any advice from the fitness folk here?

Bit of background, im 32yo 5ft 11 and currently 217lbs. Im in college at the moment so fairly sedentary compared to my past life of working in construction.

Ive been getting to the gym 3-5 times a week the last 2 months..some weeks ill do 6 days. I do mostly cardio like an hour jogging on a treadmill and 30 mins on the bike or rower afterwards. Ive started a weight lifting programme about 2 weeks ago also. My diet is fairy good besides the one takeaway a week

My dilemma is every week or so I jump on the scales and not a pound of weight lost, im baffled? Up to recent times when I put on weight I would go to the gym and do an hour on the treadmill 5-6 times a week for a month solid and drop a stone with no issue. Now i cant lose it at all, is it age?? metabolism gone??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,659 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

You say your diet is fairly good but is it?

Do you have any idea of what your calorie intake is?

And you can eat 'fairly good' but eat too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

You say your diet is fairly good but is it?

Do you have any idea of what your calorie intake is?

And you can eat 'fairly good' but eat too much.

Yeah erra id eat a bowl of cereal and maybe a scone for breakfast, lunch id have a wrap or sandwich and dinner is the old reliable of spuds veg and chicken etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

corcaigh1 wrote:
    My dilemma is every week or so I jump on the scales and not a pound of weight lost, im baffled? Up to recent times when I put on weight I would go to the gym and do an hour on the treadmill 5-6 times a week for a month solid and drop a stone with no issue. Now i cant lose it at all, is it age?? metabolism gone??

Your turning fat into muscle.Muscle weighs more than fat.

corcaigh1 wrote:
    Yeah erra id eat a bowl of cereal and maybe a scone for breakfast, lunch id have a wrap or sandwich and dinner is the old reliable of spuds veg and chicken etc..

Drop the cereal and scone.Most cereals are loaded with sugar as are scones unless you make them yourself.
    As an aside. I took up running 2 years ago at just under 15 st. Now I weigh just under 12 st and have done for the last 1.5 years. I'm 44 and 6ft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

corcaigh1 wrote: »

How much cereal? I'm not sure a good diet includes regular scones. What about snacks? Drinks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I'd say download the "my fitness pal" app and track your food through that. It really helps ID where your eating excess calories.
    Remember you can't exercise away a bad diet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

A scone can be up to 500 calories. Are you adding butter and jam?
    Are you adding oil / fat to your dinner? Any snacks? Takeaway once a week is too much. Alcohol?

Weight loss is all about what you eat and very little about excercise

nhunter100 wrote: »

An hour on the treadmill = building muscle?

Oh right, Ted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

If you know how to turn fat into muscle then I strongly reccomend you patent it and retire young.

Dtp1979 wrote:
    If you know how to turn fat into muscle then I strongly reccomend you patent it and retire young.

Phrased it wrong building up muscle mass and reducing fat. Better?

• Advertisement

Weight lifting, as OP said. Building up leg muscles from the bike and rowing machine as well, Ted.

Phrased it wrong building up muscle mass and reducing fat. Better?

At the same time?

Weight lifting, as OP said. Building up leg muscles from the bike and rowing machine as well, Ted.

The weightlifting started 2 weeks ago.

There's negligible muscle being built.

There's negligible muscle being built.

The bike,rowing machine no effect?

You need to get a handle on your diet. MyFitnessPal is your friend. Be honest with it and you'll get results.

The bike,rowing machine no effect?

Negligible.

Yeah I was thinking maybe my metabolism was shot from not having muscle mass compared to my younger days so decided on a lifting regime aswell..
    Drop the cereal and scone.Most cereals are loaded with sugar as are scones unless you make them yourself.
    As an aside. I took up running 2 years ago at just under 15 st. Now I weigh just under 12 st and have done for the last 1.5 years. I'm 44 and 6ft.

Yeah I will have to drop them. Fair play on losing that amount of weight! what was your fitness regime and diet like to lose almost 3 stone in 6 months?
    How much cereal? I'm not sure a good diet includes regular scones. What about snacks? Drinks?

Id have one bowl of tesco no added sugar muesli in the mornings, snacks not really maybe the odd chocolate bar or bag of crisps...
    Wesser wrote: »
    A scone can be up to 500 calories. Are you adding butter and jam?
    Are you adding oil / fat to your dinner? Any snacks? Takeaway once a week is too much. Alcohol?

Lashing on the butter and jam! snacks as above and pints about 8-10 maybe every 2 weeks. I though it is ok to a have cheat meal once a week as in a takeaway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭Yourmama

little bit off topic but why most people are living in pounds stones and feet world? As far as I know Ireland official system is metric?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

Smaller plates for all meals combined with accurate calorie counting and a food diary for starters might help. Log every thing that passes your lips for a week. And then calorie count it. Exercise and a non controlled food intake will not equate weight loss.

Exercise and a non controlled food intake will not equate weight loss.

I don't mean a fascist controlled one either. Can be okay to have a night off now and again but you need to account for this and adjust the pan for it

• Advertisement

I though it is ok to a have cheat meal once a week as in a takeaway?

You're having 'cheat' meals every day. A takeaway is adding fuel to the fire.

A couple of tweaks and maybe adjust portion sizes and you'll get there. It doesn't need to be daunting bit you do need to exercise a bit more discipline with your food and not just trying to counter it with exercise.

Yourmama wrote: »
    little bit off topic but why most people are living in pounds stones and feet world? As far as I know Ireland official system is metric?

:) official but not how's lot were raised stones and pounds for me. In hospitals etc might be metric but the "real world" hasn't caught up

Yourmama wrote: »

And Irish is the official language according to the constitution.

Thanks guys, what sort of diet would ye recommend..5-6 small meals a day maybe??

Thanks guys, what sort of diet would ye recommend..5-6 small meals a day maybe??

It's not about how often you eat. That's largely irrelevant.

You just need to eat less than you burn. That's why you should ideally get a handle on what you are eating with MyFitnessPal. It just gives you an idea of what's in what you're eating.

It's not about how often you eat. That's largely irrelevant.

You just need to eat less than you burn. That's why you should ideally get a handle on what you are eating with MyFitnessPal. It just gives you an idea of what's in what you're eating.

Cool, thanks alf

You can leave in the cheat meal
    If you want. But if you leave it it you will
    Loose weight faster. At the moment your rate of weight loss is zero.

Loosing weight is all about what you eat and very little about excercise. I lost 4 stone last year and I did very little excercise, and I'm female, smaller , lighter and slightly older than you, so my metabolic rate is lower.

I would recommend drinking loads of water fruit vegetables salad and protein. Rice pasta and potatoes in moderation and very little bread. No wraps. And yeah deffo keep some kind of food diary.

I find it surprising that you think your diet is clean. You take scones butter jam takeaways chocolate crisps and pints!
    You only mentioned the pints when prompted.... This is quite common among Irish people.... Also I notice it in the mental health forum, at the end of the post the op says..... Oh yeah and the pints......

Anyway clearly you are very motivated and will do well. Best of luck to you. It feels so good!!! The feeling of weight loss is unbeatable!

Wesser wrote: »
    You can leave in the cheat meal
    If you want. But if you leave it it you will
    Loose weight faster. At the moment your rate of weight loss is zero.

Loosing weight is all about what you eat and very little about excercise. I lost 4 stone last year and I did very little excercise, and I'm female, smaller , lighter and slightly older than you, so my metabolic rate is lower.

I would recommend drinking loads of water fruit vegetables salad and protein. Rice pasta and potatoes in moderation and very little bread. No wraps. And yeah deffo keep some kind of food diary.

I find it surprising that you think your diet is clean. You take scones butter jam takeaways chocolate crisps and pints!
    You only mentioned the pints when prompted.... This is quite common among Irish people.... Also I notice it in the mental health forum, at the end of the post the op says..... Oh yeah and the pints......

Anyway clearly you are very motivated and will do well. Best of luck to you. It feels so good!!! The feeling of weight loss is unbeatable!

Thats fairly informative "wesser" thanks! And the pints etc haha..erra we gotta live too!

But on a serious note im gonna cut the pints to once a month and keep me diet very clean now going foward and hopefully ill reap the rewards! ill keep ye posted!

Thats fairy informative "wesser" thanks! And the pints etc haha..erra we gotta live too!

But on a serious note im gonna cut the pints to once a month and keep me diet very clean now going foward and hopefully ill reap the rewards! ill keep ye posted!

Do. Looking forward to it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement