Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de Meath

Options
  • 22-04-2016 10:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭

Anyone doing/have done? Signed up to the 115km. Wondering what elevation will be like.

Asked on their Facebook page, but no response. Couldn't find route on mapmycycle

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭oconnpad

Thinking about doing the 115 myself, but I haven't done it before.

I'm on-call for work so will only really know in the morning if i can do it, but i assume you can just rock up and pay at the door.

There seems to be only 400m elevation as far as i can see, the hill of tara the only bump in what looks like a flat route.

I found the route on the strava web site, use the search for activites at the top of page and you'll see a load of them from previous years.
    To me last years route looks to be the same as this years from the pic on the flyer anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭munsterbear

oconnpad wrote: »
    Thinking about doing the 115 myself, but I haven't done it before.

I'm on-call for work so will only really know in the morning if i can do it, but i assume you can just rock up and pay at the door.

There seems to be only 400m elevation as far as i can see, the hill of tara the only bump in what looks like a flat route.

I found the route on the strava web site, use the search for activites at the top of page and you'll see a load of them from previous years.
    To me last years route looks to be the same as this years from the pic on the flyer anyway.
    Never thought of Strava, nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭jamesd

I think it sold out last year, no real climbs in it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

I signed up for it. Haven't really been doing any cycling this year. Hope I manage it OK!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Got through it grand. Great day for it, well organised event. Very enjoyable and everyone doing it was really friendly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭munsterbear

Really enjoyed it too. Go tin with one or two great groups that helped keep the pace going.

As a triathlete it was nice to get the benefit of drafting for a while.

Well done to all the volunteers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

Maybe this should be in the GAA section?

miller_63 wrote: »
    Maybe this should be in the GAA section?

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭oconnpad

Saw lads taken photos on the day, did they get put up online anywhere?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

jamesd wrote: »
    Why?

Is that a genuine question of why? Maybe look at the flyer again....

miller_63 wrote: »
    Is that a genuine question of why? Maybe look at the flyer again....

Genuine question, I never saw the flyer sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Oscar_Drai

Hi,

Just seen that the registration is closed. Does any have a spare ticket or somebody not being able to go?

Thanks,
    O.D.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Oscar_Drai wrote: »
    Hi,

Just seen that the registration is closed. Does any have a spare ticket or somebody not being able to go?

Thanks,
    O.D.
    I think you may be confusing two events - this thread relates to the Ratoath GAA Tour of Meath (which is long over) and not the An Post Heritage Tour of Meath which is due to take place this Sunday 24/07/2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Mikoooo

Oscar_Drai wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks,
    O.D.

Am looking for a ticket too 😕

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Colt Knost

Did the 100k - Or rather 97.2K according to my Garmin.
    Decent spin - a lot of junctions, some very well marshalled , but some not marshalled at all.
    Food stop was fine but no need for the bellowing music.
    Weather could have been worse.
    Overall a good day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

For a newbie like myself there were probably one or two too many hills on the 100k. The last 15 k felt like 100 on its own as a result.

Brilliantly organised apart from the few unmarshalled junctions as mentioned.

The water and food stops were stocked with plenty of food/drink and very well manned too and coped well with the hoardes that descended upon them !

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Lawdie

Would join in on the sentiments above. 100km was fine some long drag climbs nothing major. Also great offering of gluten free options including cakes, nice touch.
    Very friendly organisers throughout and overall good event.

Would give it a lash next year again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

Is the Tour de Meath the same as the Tour of Meath? No idea myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

JK.BMC wrote: »

Two completely separate events.

• Advertisement

JK.BMC wrote: »
    One is run in April by Ratoath GAA (where this thread orginated). The Heritage Tour of Meath is the one backed by An Post which took place yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Two completely separate events.

I had clubmates in Meath yesterday: An Post Tour of Meath as well as the Brendan Campbell race in Donore. This 'Tour de Meath' thing I know nothing about. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

Yes, the music was a head wreck especially when you suffer from tinnitus!

Was a grand day - did the 100k, definitely enough for me, found the 160k to be a right drag in every way last year..those endless little hills just aren't fun and then there was the rain..

ILIKEFOOD wrote: »
    ... found the 160k to be a right drag in every way last year..those endless little hills just aren't fun ..
    Hardly 'endless' - the last 70k or so is fairly flat.

Hadn't done it before myself and didn't study the route beforehand but I have to disagree with NeedMoreGears of this parish (whom I met near the start) who described it as 'flat as a pancake' or words to that effect!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

Hardly 'endless' - the last 70k or so is fairly flat.

well I suppose from my perspective last year, the 160 was one of the first sportives i did, and it rained hard for 6 and half hours, certainly, flat or not it definitely felt like it had no end :P

Advertisement