Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone use a wooden walking stick/staff .

Options
  • 22-04-2016 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭

If anyone prefers to use a stick rather than modern walking poles I'd be interested to here why.
    I tend to adjust my pole height quite a bit so how did you decide on a good height match. Does not being able to break it down effect your use of it.
    I like the idea of a shoulder height staff has anyone used one.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Yes I use one made from ash. It's about elbow height with a metal tip that I bent around and nailed in. It's roughly elbow height, the hand grip is planed down and wrapped with Hurley tape with a loop for the hand.

I suppose I like them as I'm used to them from driving cattle as a child. Not mad keen on the ski poles as I had one snap on me before.

If I don't need it I strap it to the backpack, it gets the odd strange look on the bus or train but country folk recognise it as 'a good ash plant' and it's a conversation piece.

They cost nothing and are environmentally easy to dispose of. If you like them then cut a few and let them mature by standing them in a dry place for a few weeks.

If you don't like them take the tape off and throw it in a ditch.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Bristolscale7

Hi, I have a walking stick that I made from an oak sapling. It is shoulder height. I made it when I lived in the north east of the u.s. i used a bit of copper pipe at the end. The rest of the stick is sanded and lacquered with a few shallow indentations for grip. I preferred it to a trekking pole because:
    1. I was on a lot of boulder trails and steep pitches. The length of my stick meant i could use it for descending without having it be too short. I use a long piece of static cord with a slip knot on my wrist.
    2. For crossing streams the ability to have a short or long grip is useful.
    3. I wanted a sturdy, long stick because of black bears. Not to hit them with but to make myself bigger: you can wave it overhead, beat shrubs wit it and such.
    4. I had a bad experience with a high end trekking pole. Couldn't take the abuse.
    5. It has utility at a camp site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Thanks for your replies.
    I have some Hazel rods that I got from a neighbour who was clearing ground. I got them with the intention of using them in the garden .
    I do have to replace my Pole so I think I'll see what I can come up with. I can cut a few lengths and work out what I like. They will still be usable in the Garden .
    They have been in the shed since November . I suppose a bit of cleaning , sanding and oiling and something for a tip and a grip will set me on my way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

When I had major surgery and had to lean on a stick for a while, I went to a craft fair in the Texas hill country near Austin, and found a beautiful spalted mesquite stick with a comfortable carved handle and powdered turquoise inlaid into the natural cracks. It looked like a piece of jewelry. I just felt like such an old lady using one of those medical-supply canes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

The hazel would want to be thick as it tends to bend a bit under weight. It's nice wood to hold, but not something I'd go for.

Blackthorn is very good, though hard to get. Ironically a lot of tourist shops have them as souveniers, but I'm not sure of the quality. They were very popular as a walking stick for the elderly about 30-40 years and there were people making them for that purpose, but I don't know if anyone still does or is it just mass marketed for the tourism sector.

They're still popular in Germany with the older generation, they use ash, rowan, hazel and cherry. There's still a big industry there in manufacturing them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,329 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Horses for courses, really.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

There is a shop in Shillelagh that sells – you guessed it – Shillelaghs. Hefty looking pieces that look like they would make a good walking stick AND a weapon. But I’ve never liked the look of that type of stick. I had a basic stick which I bought in a market stall in Cypress some years ago and which accompanied me on my many walks through the Troodos – it only cost about 10 euros but it worked brilliantly. I had to leave it behind at the end of the holiday. I’m thinking that when my current “all the bells and whistles” trekking poles finally wear out I might just get a good quality wooden stick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Haven't got around to using walking poles or sticks yet - just another thing to carry. May have to bend to the inevitable eventually with wear and tear on the knees but I figure it's a bit like wearing glasses. Best avoided unless you really need them for a task - use it or lose it.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

BarryD wrote: »
    Haven't got around to using walking poles or sticks yet - just another thing to carry. May have to bend to the inevitable eventually with wear and tear on the knees but I figure it's a bit like wearing glasses. Best avoided unless you really need them for a task - use it or lose it.
    `

That's what I thought until I tried walking poles. Right from the go they made an incredible difference. It's like having 4 legs. Increasing speed even on the flat. Don't knock it till you try it Barry!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,329 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

unkel wrote: »
    That's what I thought until I tried walking poles. Right from the go they made an incredible difference. It's like having 4 legs. Increasing speed even on the flat. Don't knock it till you try it Barry!

Ah, not knocking it - each to their own etc. I can certainly see advantages in having an 'extra leg' when crossing awkward ground, streams, fallen trees etc. For walking up and down hill slopes, I personally will stick to two legs for as long as possible :)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I prefer rear wheel driven cars myself, but for going up a slope a 4WD is going to work better :D

Advertisement