Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil service performance review (disagree with managers narrative)

Options
  • 22-04-2016 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭

Hi

I've recently had a performance review and although i'm satisfied with my rating , some of the wording in my managers narrative is pretty negative.
    I'm not sure if its worth arguing with him about though
    Could it be damaging to me down the road ?

Do interview boards see that narrative ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

InReality wrote: »
    Hi

I've recently had a performance review and although i'm satisfied with my rating , some of the wording in my managers narrative is pretty negative.
    I'm not sure if its worth arguing with him about though
    Could it be damaging to me down the road ?

Do interview boards see that narrative ?

Did you not speak about it during your upward feedback session?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

No, it is never worth "arguing" with your manager. The chances of getting them to change their opinion is very small, if it were an error in fact then you may have something to work with, but changing a subjective description is improbable.

Discussing with your manager the best way to improve your rating is another thing entirely. The best way to negate any less than desirable wording is to make sure that your manager is not in a position to make the same comments two years running.
    • Treat the comments as actionable feedback.
    • Put a specific action in place to address each comment.
    • Review with your manager.
    • Ensure that you both understand was "success" looks like on each action.
    • Set a goal for your next years rating with your manager.

Look ambitious to your manager, self motivated to develop yourself.

Then when it comes to future interviews and they ask you what your weakness is you can say, x was identified as a challenge, I worked with my manager, identified plan y, and improved my rating from A to B.

That is the type of employee that gets places, not the one that "argues" with their manager.

Best of Luck!

Advertisement