Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Overnight Prince fans

• 23-04-2016 12:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭

Is it just me or has ****loads of people declared themselves Prince fans all of sudden? Most of them only ever heard of Purple Rain and then all posting RIP posts and lovehearts over facebook etc.

It really grinds my gears.
    That is all.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

I loved his rendition of Along the Watchtower and obviously Voodoo Child

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Overnight Prince fans, surely it'd just be easier to refer to them as bandwagon jumpers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,849 ✭✭✭buried

Just wait until the Queen dies OP. You ain't seen nothing yet

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I like cabbage, but I don't talk about it a lot. If it went extinct I might express my disappointment.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Prince Harry is just as good, if not better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭Daniogroove

I like cabbage, but I don't talk about it a lot. If it went extinct I might express my disappointment.

The people I see posting stuff I know for a fact haven't a notion about him or any of is music. It's like the want to be see to be doing what's trending. It's chronic!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I prefer his music in the mornign rather than overnight :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

The people I see posting stuff I know for a fact haven't a notion about him or any of is music. It's like the want to be see to be doing what's trending. It's chronic!

Fair enough. Given the cesspit of narcissism that Facebook can be, I suppose I can believe that some people might do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Well done, OP. Great stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

So what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭furiousox

I loved his rendition of Along the Watchtower and obviously Voodoo Child

Ha! Call yourself a true fan?
    It's voodoo chile
    Anyway, I prefer his solo stuff.
    While my guitar gently weeps is probably the best song he's written since leaving the band.
    It's on yotube if you squares want to check it out.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,318 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Is it just me or has ****loads of people declared themselves Prince fans all of sudden? Most of them only ever heard of Purple Rain and then all posting RIP posts and lovehearts over facebook etc.

That is all.

That'll be the new power generation :D

Seriously though, you'd think people would just get over the Beatles and Elvis already, I hate people discovering new music, I was a fan before they were ever fans, and I claim Mozart and Bach too, bloody new fans, who do they think they are! They disgust me! :mad:

Not really... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,849 ✭✭✭buried

Don't let that nonsense or those people bother you D. I was DJ'ing a couple of years back for a mates Birthday party and I mixed in "I would die 4 u" into the set and this one mate of mine said to me at the end of the night "what were you at playing that Prince $hite? I hate that guy" then, last night, this same guy nearly made a purple flag into his profile picture on facebook with fake upset. It's bad lines when some people feign upset because its trendy. F**k em

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I heard a lot that from people down the pub tonight. Everybody suddenly was a fan.

I was never one myself, as a person he was one of those artists who I never heard a good word about, quite the opposite in many cases.

A very talented songwriter though and that's what he'll be remembered for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Overnight Prince fans, surely it'd just be easier to refer to them as bandwagon jumpers.

Where's me jumper? x2

Who really cares?

Music is music.

So what if we were there before them.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

furiousox wrote: »
    Ha! Call yourself a true fan?
    It's voodoo chile
    Anyway, I prefer his solo stuff.
    While my guitar gently weeps is probably the best song he's written since leaving the band.
    It's on yotube if you squares want to check it out.

Who are we talking about here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Don't sweat the small stuff OP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Boskowski wrote: »
    Who are we talking about here?

Jimi and George.

We are all music lovers here.
    No need to go there.

Everyone's hero dies
    Just listen on

"the kind you find..."

Magic. Enjoy it.

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

buried wrote: »

Overnight Overdrive fans?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Diana syndrome they call it. Your own life and the lives of those who you love and cherish are all that matter.

Never hero worship somebody you don't know, it's not good for you. You can admire people from a far without getting so emotionally involved.

Love the work not the person.

In Prince's case I think you'd be let down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Queen recorded that? I thought it was BTO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Glico Man wrote: »
    Queen recorded that? I thought it was BTO

Yeah, that joke's been done

Judging by social media, every other artist in the world has sang a Prince cover in the past few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Wasn't a fan and won't be . Did he remove a few ribs one time so he could get his head into hard to reach areas ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I was DJ'ing a couple of years back for a mates Birthday party and I mixed in "I would die 4 u" into the set and this one mate of mine said to me at the end of the night "what were you at playing that Prince $hite? I hate that guy" then, last night, this same guy nearly made a purple flag into his profile picture on facebook with fake upset.
    :pac::D People tend to be herd creatures, with short enough memories and a fair percentage of said herd tend to be dimmer than a one watt lightbulb(QV Facebook; "he's with the angles now"). I'm in a smaller different herd here. In other news; water is wet.

Prince/The artist formerly known as a squiggle? Overrated in latter years. The type that other musicians like. Fantastic guitar player. Good songwriter when he was young, but songwriting is a young man's(and women's) game. The fire goes out fast. 30 years of age is about the turning point. Before that innovation and novelty, after that repetition of past glories, getting better at said repetition and descent into cabaret act "legend"(old style cabaret acts knew this and bought in young people's songs. Sucked the young dry like vampires. QV Madonna.).

The other recent loss Dave Bowie. A true giant of popular music, again past 30 it was bring in producers to hip him up and play the character that was David Bowie(™). The rolling stones are pickled somewhere around 1973. All they doing now is playing the Legend.

And off a rambling I go. As per. Can't stay asleep and sure t'is the sun up now begorrah. The luminescent bastard.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Wibbs wrote: »

The other recent loss Dave Bowie. A true giant of popular music, again past 30 it was bring in producers to hip him up and play the character that was David Bowie(™). The rolling stones are pickled somewhere around 1973. All they doing now is playing the Legend.

Bowie released some fantastic music after his 30's. He was in his 60's when the last 2 came out. Bowie, of all artists, always done things his way. Granted, he may have taken some bad decisions in the (drug filled) 80's but to say he was a (™) product is stupid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Telling people they're wrong to feel what they feel: yeah, that'll work.

Ye Hypocrites, are these your pranks
    To murder men and gie God thanks?
    Desist for shame, proceed no further
    God won't accept your thanks for murder.

―Robert Burns

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

What makes a fan though?

I have a couple of songs on the iPod, I like his music, I had tickets to croke park when he cancelled, I said sure I'll catch him next time.

If I posted on Facebook would I be any less entitled to do so than someone who has all the albums and has been to all the concerts and talks about how much they enjoy his music?

We are both fans... I'm just not as vocal about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Bachmann Turner Overdrive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭wawaman

Bullocks wrote: »
    Wasn't a fan and won't be . Did he remove a few ribs one time so he could get his head into hard to reach areas ?

If the number of people that I heard that story about "actually" did it, then we would have enough rib bones so that there would be no need for ivory anymore :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

This has been some year for celebrity deaths.

Fingers crossed its Chris Martin next.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

LowOdour wrote: »
    Bowie released some fantastic music after his 30's. He was in his 60's when the last 2 came out. Bowie, of all artists, always done things his way. Granted, he may have taken some bad decisions in the (drug filled) 80's but to say he was a (™) product is stupid
    Spoken like a true fan. Which is cool BTW. His later stuff was mostly only of appeal to the dwindling number of fans, his wider current relevance was long gone. His last widely cultural relevance was a dance record handily entitled Let's Dance which was wildly successful. In 1983. In his mid 30's. And it was more Nile Rodgers than Bowie. Followed by getting into dance itself, then Tin Machine(bless). Yes Bowie was one of the few to even try to innovate and did succeed quite often and as I said I see him as a true giant of popular music, but I still stick with the around 30 years of age the rot sets in with songwriters.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Im curious what makes the creativity die out as one gets older, is it a physical change taking place in the brain or due to a change in mindset.

Instead of being present and allowing the creativity to rise up do people become so identified with their persona that it creates a blockage between atound the source of creativity.

i don't think it's necessarily the case.Lots of writers get better as they age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Yeah, not everyone posts every facet of their life and interests on Facebook. I don't know if my husband ever posted much about Prince on Facebook but everyone who knows him knows he was a fan. I mean, I was sat down for a double bill of Parade and Under Cherry Moon one night in our early days of dating!

I have a friend who I know is a Curehead and if Robert Smith died tomorrow she'd probably surprise many on Facebook with posts about him and the band, as she mainly posts about other interests.

I was not a fan of Bowie but did start getting interested in his music after his death. For some reason it made me feel very sad, which I don't think has happened to me before after an artist's death. I thought it was quite cathartic to see some of the stuff people posted on Facebook around that time - interviews, performances, documentaries and just photos. Some of which I 'liked'. I think I may have 'shared' something I saw posted about Prince yesterday. I did enjoy his music, his sound. If that makes me a hypocrite I'm ok with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

I was not a huge Prince fan before, but I did start appreciating him in the last few years. I only got my hands on Controversy a few months ago.

I guess it has been hard for lots of people to connect to his music because it wasn't available, but everyone knows way more than Purple Rain, I'd wager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

wawaman wrote: »
    If the number of people that I heard that story about "actually" did it, then we would have enough rib bones so that there would be no need for ivory anymore :D

Ya I heard he hated the ivory trade alright !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Who?

No really, not trying to be edgy, but who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

That is all.

Some eejit on the radio yesterday that went to a concert of his in Ireland crying like a baby because of his death, if her uncle died she probably wouldn't shed a tear :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Straight Edge Punk

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Who?

No really, not trying to be edgy, but who?

Are you asking who Prince is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Are you asking who Prince is?

In fairness I think a lot of people would have no clue who he is, especially the younger generations.

Prince was known for not exactly going with the times and allowing his stuff on Youtube / Spotify etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Never a fan, not my thing, but he was an extremely talented musician/songwriter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

it was like when michael jackson died all the young ones walking around wearing one white glove

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭furiousox

I know a person on facebook who changed their profile picture to the Prince symbol and typed "totally devastated".
    I was so tempted to ask if something had happened to one of his parents.
    "Devastated" indeed. :rolleyes:

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭Daniogroove

TG1 wrote: »
    What makes a fan though?

I have a couple of songs on the iPod, I like his music, I had tickets to croke park when he cancelled, I said sure I'll catch him next time.

If I posted on Facebook would I be any less entitled to do so than someone who has all the albums and has been to all the concerts and talks about how much they enjoy his music?

We are both fans... I'm just not as vocal about it!

Ah no but I'm talking about people who literally haven't a notion about him. People I've know for years and know for a fact have no interest him or even that genre of music at all. They're simply just doing it because it's the trendy thing to do at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

What I hate are people who act all supercilious about being better fans of a said artist/artists. I remember a guy told me he loves Pink Floyd and I said "yeah I like them too"and then he replied "I bet the only song you know of them is 'the wall'" like piss off with your condescension. If you're a real fan you don't have to prove yourself for validation or attack other fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

What I hate are people who act all supercilious about being better fans of a said artist/artists. I remember a guy told me he loves Pink Floyd and I said "yeah I like them too"and then he replied "I bet the only song you know of them is 'the wall'" like piss off with your condescension. If you're a real fan you don't have to prove yourself for validation or attack other fans.

What about all those people that are "fans" of bands because they have a cool t-shirt, Motorhead and The Ramones would be good examples of this phenomenon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

Tzardine wrote: »
    In fairness I think a lot of people would have no clue who he is, especially the younger generations.

Prince was known for not exactly going with the times and allowing his stuff on Youtube / Spotify etc.

It's not that he was not keeping up with the times. He was ferociously protective of his art and highly cynical of the music industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Didn't know much about him, saw he was dead from the thread on here, actually. My first reaction was "Prince is -dead-?" and my second was "does that make him "the deceased, formally known as Prince?" (Too soon?)

Sad when a great artist dies young, and 57 is pretty young. But it doesn't particularly do anything to my little world. I was much more personally upset by Alan Rickman and Terry Pratchett (and David Bowie, but mostly because Labyrinth was part of my childhood).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Never listened to one of his songs in full in my life but now I'm a big fan. I'm a sheep led by public opinion that he was a great so I believe it.

I do actually like him though.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

Wibbs wrote: »
    I still stick with the around 30 years of age the rot sets in with songwriters.

I'd say 35, the most notable exception I think of being Leonard Cohen.

• Advertisement
Advertisement