Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mondello Park HM May 15th

Options
  • 23-04-2016 9:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Thinking of signing up for this - suits me location and calendar wise - but was wondering if anyone has any experience of running at Mondello Park? I presume the course is pretty flat but 6 laps sounds a bit monotonous. Is it very exposed to the wind?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭An_Reathai

Ran this one today. On a windless day, that is a very very fast course. Doing six laps wasn't nearly as boring as I thought it would be - think it might have actually helped to keep on pace as you had a good idea of how you were going compared to previous laps.

One big reservation though - I suspect the course was short by about 300 metres. Alarm bells were ringing before the start when I saw that the start and finish line were in exactly the same spot. What are the chances that 6 laps of Mondello equals exactly 13.1 miles? My garmin registered 12.93 miles as did those of 3 or 4 other people I asked. Would be interested if anyone else who ran this has any thoughts...

https://www.popupraces.ie/raceresult/mondello-half-marathon-2016/#.VzihSb7Ruog

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭fennor72

Thinking of signing up just wondering what the setup is like? Has anybody else ran it and thought it was short?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭sideshowbob321

Just checked their website and they say very clearly this is now AAI measured - they must have had some complaints after last year.
    They've also added a Full this year
    12 laps of a track? Is that a bit mad Ted??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Rockyman7

Just checked their website and they say very clearly this is now AAI measured - they must have had some complaints after last year.
    They've also added a Full this year

afaik remeasured and Aai permit granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭romteilly

I signed up for this this year,be an experience anyway. Doing the clontarf half in july so another one in september does nicely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Thinking about doing it too. Would it get pretty boring doing 6 laps?

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭robinwing

Signed up for it also , cost 32 euro for early application . believe there is some sort of t shirt . 10k and full marathon options also .

Heard the DCM is full now , 20,000

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

There are marathons on a 1-mile loop and there are quite a few marathons (and longer) on a 400 meter track, so 12 laps isn't particularly mad in comparison

There are marathons on a 1-mile loop and there are quite a few marathons (and longer) on a 400 meter track, so 12 laps isn't particularly mad in comparison

world record attempt on the first sub 2 hour marathon was done at Monza in Italy ( failed by 27 secs ) Monza reverberated to the sound of tazio nuvolaris alfa/ferrari back in the day. the spirit of Enzo walks the old disused banking during the bewitching hours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 losttheplot74

Anyone know if there's water stops / refreshments etc. Are there shower facilities afterwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 psalm69

Anyone know if there's water stops / refreshments etc. Are there shower facilities afterwards?

Not sure about shower facilities, but if memory serves there were 3 water stations (plastic cups) around the course for the 1/2 marathon last year.

psalm69 wrote: »
    Not sure about shower facilities, but if memory serves there were 3 water stations (plastic cups) around the course for the 1/2 marathon last year.

had a look at it on youtube , didn't seem to be a lot of entrants . hope there is a better crowd this year, how are they going to manage a 1/2 marathon and a full marathon on the same course ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 psalm69

There are a few races around with loops Galway Bay being another example that I know of. And it is manged pretty well, staggering start times, different number allocation per distance / colours.

Not many there last year but I enjoyed it, the surface is immaculate and it is a challenge - the course isn't as flat as you might think!

They will need a few more stewarts, there is a section at the back of course which I believe a runner cheated by taking a shortcut! I passed the person on the second lap and then had to pass again on the finish straight for them to finish 2 -3 seconds behind me!

He only cheated himself I suppose , sad case really

yes I just got an email from them , they have shower facilities , early bird discount ends at midnight tonight I think

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭shane1981

robinwing wrote: »
    He only cheated himself I suppose , sad case really

Don't agree with this statement when it comes to running. Its a race, regardless of whether theres a prize for 3010 th place or not. You're cheating the runners you passed out of a higher place position.

At least 20 or so runners overtook me last week on the first roundabout at swords 10k. All jumping across the verge onto the inside footpath with plenty of space on the road.

shane1981 wrote: »
    Don't agree with this statement when it comes to running. Its a race, regardless of whether theres a prize for 3010 th place or not. You're cheating the runners you passed out of a higher place position.

At least 20 or so runners overtook me last week on the first roundabout at swords 10k. All jumping across the verge onto the inside footpath with plenty of space on the road.

Happens in Formula 1 all the time ! , you were not seeking Olympic qualifying time , the world is full of people like that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Does anyone know what time the HM starts at?

Would like to get this race in on way to All Ireland Hurling Final if at all possible.

Would like to get this race in on way to All Ireland Hurling Final if at all possible.

http://mailchi.mp/popupraces/mondello-marathon?e=b6790c2059

• Advertisement

http://mailchi.mp/popupraces/mondello-marathon?e=b6790c2059

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭racersedge

They posted up an image of the medals yesterday via their Facebook page (see attached image). Nice looking piece (in my own opinion, at least!) I'll be running the 10k myself. Signed up earlier in the year when it first announced. Love watching the motor racing myself so the chance to the run on the circuit appealed to me greatly and was an excuse to push beyond the comfort of 5K's and upwards towards 10k.

Advertisement