Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Everton vs Manchester United FA Cup Semi Final 23/4/16 k/o 17.15 BBC.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

One would have to think that like Moyes, there is a contract clause that the minimum requirement is CL qualification, that ship has sailed.

At the end of the day, Wigan won the cup in recent times and got relegated same season iirc, a cup win would be a bonus but that's all.

Yea that's true alright.

Then if he scraped 4th there is a chance he could stay? I'd say most United fans would prefer to get 5th/6th and him gone though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭enzo roco

adox wrote: »
    Well obviously a foul in the box is a peno. You are stating the obvious.

Hardly what's being discussed though.

I said IT was a foul, IT being the tackle by Mensah.
    The poster said the everton penalty was harsh, but it was a foul. No doubt it was penalty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

enzo roco wrote: »
    I said IT was a foul, IT being the tackle by Mensah.
    The poster said the everton penalty was harsh, but it was a foul. No doubt it was penalty.

It was most definitely not a pen. Got the ball clearly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Moral victories. Should pay more attention to the drug cheats at their own club. Get the T-Shirts at the ready!
    2mzmyz7.jpg

Merked bruv, innit.

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    It was most definitely not a pen. Got the ball clearly.

He clipped Barkleys foot firstly.
    Then as Barkley went on, Mensah then goes to ground, and tackles from behind barkley and wraps both his legs around him. He got the ball but it was from behind. You cannot do that.
    The referee was right in this instance. No question about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

No doubt it wasn't a penalty. Daft decision, no question.

GTFI United!

Nailz wrote: »
    No doubt it wasn't a penalty. Daft decision, no question.

GTFI United!

Take off the blinkers and watch football.

Enjoy the win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Yea that's true alright.

Then if he scraped 4th there is a chance he could stay? I'd say most United fans would prefer to get 5th/6th and him gone though.

I seem to be one of the few, on Boards anyway, that thinks if we get CL he will stay.

I want him gone but I won't believe it til I see it, especially if we do somehow sneak a CL spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

2mzmyz7.jpg

Merked bruv, innit.

He missed a test cos he's a goon, wasn't a a cheat, innit

enzo roco wrote: »
    Take off the blinkers and watch football.

Enjoy the win.
    I suggest you do the same, I thought it at the match and I've seen the replays and still think it, if that was the other end of the pitch it wouldn't be any different.

Don't assume somebody else's POV is blinkered just because your own might be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

SlickRic wrote: »
    LVG doesn't do joy.

Imagine a last minute winner, then with no prompting from the interviewer at all, choosing to complain about the referee.

One of the first things he said was how this is what it's all about, the joy on the player's faces and the fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭thisonetaken

I suggest you do the same, I thought it at the match and I've seen the replays and still think it, if that was the other end of the pitch it wouldn't be any different.

Don't assume somebody else's POV is blinkered just because your own might be.

He clipped barkleys foot first then got the ball. Even if he hadn't of hit the foot first it was still a penalty as it was a scissor tackle, one way or another Barkley would of tripped as his legs would of been trapped mid stride by mensahs legs. It was as clear a penalty as you will see and this is from a united fan. Stop being such a stereotypical football fan pretending everyone decision against your team is a bad one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,659 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

As a United supporter, I thought it was a pen. U didn't think at first and there was a lot of swearing but on the replay he does catch Barkley's foot in the first tackle. It was the correct call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Juan8

He clipped barkleys foot first then got the ball. Even if he hadn't of hit the foot first it was still a penalty as it was a scissor tackle, one way or another Barkley would of tripped as his legs would of been trapped mid stride by mensahs legs. It was as clear a penalty as you will see and this is from a united fan. Stop being such a stereotypical football fan pretending everyone decision against your team is a bad one.

Wasn't a pen for me he clipped Barkleys toe, hardly a pen for that

Juan8 wrote: »
    Wasn't a pen for me he clipped Barkleys toe, hardly a pen for that

You can't wrap your legs around another players legs in a tackle

You can't wrap your legs around another players legs in a tackle

Fosu Mensahs leg behind him is irrelivant, it doesn't touch him, the leg only fully goes behind Barkley just as Fosu Mensah gets the ball, no peno

Juan8 wrote: »
    Fosu Mensahs leg behind him is irrelivant, it doesn't touch him, the leg only fully goes behind Barkley just as Fosu Mensah gets the ball, no peno

Doesn't matter if it touched him or not, there was no way Barkley could have avoided falling with a leg right behind him and one in front, therefore mensah took the man and ball in the tackle, definite penalty

Doesn't matter if it touched him or not, there was no way Barkley could have avoided falling with a leg right behind him and one in front, therefore mensah took the man and ball in the tackle, definite penalty

Barkley falling once Fosu Mensah has got the ball means nothing, the ball is gone, not a pen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

Just back in the car from Wembley. Thought it was a superb game, second half in particular. To win it like that - I had my 6 year old son with me - was so magical and the atmosphere coming down from the stands and in the forecourt outside after was just incredible. Haven't felt elation like that for a good few seasons. My little lad will never forget it, it was magical for a child. Had him on my shoulders outside after in the middle of the Tony Martial singing and he was gone haywire. Superb day out, one of the best ever for me anyway going to United games. Neither of us will ever forget it.

• Advertisement

That's gas, I don't treat every decision like that, just the bad ones.

You're just one of those people who takes exception and says "as a United fan" for approval of others – "look how impartial I am". Cut the nonsense.

The logic that it was a penalty because it was a scissor tackle and trapped his leg after he got the ball is laughable, especially as, y'know, he got the ball. And if a penalty was given for that initial tiny tap on Barkley's toe then I suppose we should start giving penalties for any time an attacking player enters an opposing teams box.

You're just one of those people who takes exception and says "as a United fan" for approval of others – "look how impartial I am". Cut the nonsense.

The logic that it was a penalty because it was a scissor tackle and trapped his leg after he got the ball is laughable, especially as, y'know, he got the ball. And if a penalty was given for that initial tiny tap on Barkley's toe then I suppose we should start giving penalties for any time an attacking player enters an opposing teams box.

Doesn't matter that he got the ball, he took out the opponent in the process, it's a penalty, look up the rules on sliding tackles then come back and apologise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Doesn't matter that he got the ball, he took out the opponent in the process, it's a penalty, look up the rules on sliding tackles then come back and apologise

If the referee watches it again I think he might have second thoughts. I can totally understand why he gave it, it was a stupid decision to hook the other leg around like that and he probably got what he deserved for that decision alone but I don't think he brought him down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,216 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

If the referee watches it again I think he might have second thoughts. I can totally understand why he gave it, it was a stupid decision to hook the other leg around like that and he probably got what he deserved for that decision alone but I don't think he brought him down.

The only problem I see with this, is that you are attempting to use reason and logic with a poster who claimed in a serious post, that Rooney has the strike rate of an average defender......I don't think reason and logic are going to work here.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Barkley is already on his way down before Mensah's left leg comes in behind him. If it's a penalty for the collision of toes then we may as well give up with the game now. Otherwise, it's a great tackle and one that I reckon a lot of people here would have a different opinion of if it's made by an Irish defender in the Euros this summer.

The worst thing about this result from a opposition point of view is Martinez will lose his job.

• Advertisement

The only problem I see with this, is that you are attempting to use reason and logic with a poster who claimed in a serious post, that Rooney has the strike rate of an average defender......I don't think reason and logic are going to work here.

I haven't read through all the thread, if I'd known that then I wouldn't have bothered :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Mensah clips Barkley, gets the ball and then scissor tackles him. Both are technically a penalty, and despite saying he got the ball etc etc, that excuse is years old at this stage and is long gone from football's rules. If you use both your legs like that it's foul. He didn't 'bring him down' but you don't need to do that to concede a penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭tvercetti

That style of almost scissors tackle seems to have been cracked down on this season in England from the games I have watched. Even in cases where first contact was with the ball, its a free and a yellow pretty consistently. Its just an observation I made before todays games so I wasn't surprised to see a penalty given.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

You're just one of those fans who wears your Rooney pyjamas to bed, climbs in under your Manchester united duvet cover, wakes up and puts on your Alex Ferguson jocks by the sounds of things if you don't think it was a penalty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Has that list of keepers better then De Gea turned up yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

MrMac84 wrote: »

Marc Stegen, Claudio Bravo, Casillas, Courtois, Begovic, Victor Valdez, Suarez, Neymar.

You're just one of those fans who wears your Rooney pyjamas to bed, climbs in under your Manchester united duvet cover, wakes up and puts on your Alex Ferguson jocks by the sounds of things if you don't think it was a penalty.

Are these yours?

718kPep5cBL._UX385_.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,850 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

MrMac84 wrote: »

I'd guess the list goes along the lines of Manuel Neuer, Gigi Buffon, Keylor Navas, Hugo Lloris, Stephane Ruffier as his opinion of the best goalkeepers in the world currently. Perhaps not though.

Nothing wrong with having a different opinion to others. It keeps the forum fresh of the same opinion. I think De Gea is the best in the world at the moment, others won't. So what?

It's still not fair to get "LOL" written to you when you do say he is the best in the world though because it is a good argument, so that's poor form by AIG.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

callaway92 wrote: »
    I'd guess the list goes along the lines of Manuel Neuer, Gigi Buffon, Keylor Navas, Hugo Lloris, Stephane Ruffier as his opinion of the best goalkeepers in the world currently. Perhaps not though.

Nothing wrong with having a different opinion to others. It keeps the forum fresh of the same opinion. I think De Gea is the best in the world at the moment, others won't. So what?

It's still not fair to get "LOL" written to you when you do say he is the best in the world though because it is a good argument, so that's poor form by AIG.

Actually the lol was a criticism of Rayne Wooney's exact same "lol" response only a few minutes earlier to a poster who had made a fairly reasonable point (about the value of certain players to their club). I figured if that comment warranted a lol from Wooney then Wooney's "De Gea is the best keeper in the world and it isn't even close" certainly deserved the Wooney "lol" treatment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Actually the lol was a criticism of Rayne Wooney's exact same "lol" response only a few minutes earlier to a poster who had made a fairly reasonable point (about the value of certain players to their club). I figured if that comment warranted a lol from Wooney then Wooney's "De Gea is the best keeper in the world and it isn't even close" certainly deserved the Wooney "lol" treatment.

No it didn't. If De Gea played for Barcelona you'd have a few novels of hyperbole about him already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Just saw a video by an Everton fan who does pre and post match stuff,his wife was taken for medical treatment after being hit by a flare thrown by an Everton fan,he also reported fans fighting with each other in the Everton end and that the atmosphere there was toxic.Most seemed to stem from the tensions over Martinez and how the first half went.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

zerks wrote: »
    Just saw a video by an Everton fan who does pre and post match stuff,his wife was taken for medical treatment after being hit by a flare thrown by an Everton fan,he also reported fans fighting with each other in the Everton end and that the atmosphere there was toxic.Most seemed to stem from those people being idiots,scumbags or both because those are the only reasons anyone would fight over a football match.

FYP.

glued wrote: »
    No it didn't. If De Gea played for Barcelona you'd have a few novels of hyperbole about him already.

I'd say it deserved Wooney's lol treatment alot more than the comment that Wooney actually lol'ed. The best keeper in the world and it isn't even close? Grow up mate.

Payet, Aguero, Sanchez, Kane, Aguero, Coutinho and Defoe are all at least as important to their respective clubs. Again I'd say that's an entirely reasonable post that could have some decent debate around, instead Wooney posts "lol" then he expects to go unchallenged on that De Gea thing? No, not on my watch.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Marc Stegen, Claudio Bravo, Casillas, Courtois, Begovic, Victor Valdez, Suarez, Neymar.

Joe Hart will be added to the list next year.

When Pep gets hold of him and works on his aura there will be no stopping him.

Joe Hart will be added to the list next year.

When Pep gets hold of him and works on his aura there will be no stopping him.

Hahaha such a great contribution. Such depth, such a fascinating point and look, you've even referenced a post I made months ago. When Schmeichel is on punditry and talking about how importance presence and aura is to a keeper are you frantically ringing Sky/ITV/BBC to argue, complain and/or laugh at him? I'm really curious.

• Advertisement

Hahaha such a great contribution. Such depth, such a fascinating point and look, you've even referenced a post I made months ago. When Schmeichel is on punditry and talking about how importance presence and aura is to a keeper are you frantically ringing Sky/ITV/BBC to argue, complain and/or laugh at him? I'm really curious.

Not at all, I just like to laugh at glory hunting charlatans that think they are infinitely more clever than they actually are.

:)

Not at all, I just like to laugh at glory hunting charlatans that think they are infinitely more clever than they actually are.

This from an Irish guy who supports Man Utd and who I've never seen speak of any football outside of England yet speaks as though his word is gospel? I greatly look forward to your next post dripping in irony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Oh great we are witnessing a dick measuring contest here now. Won't take long I heard :D

On another note UNITED WE STAND

Do people still take him seriously?

This from an Irish guy who supports Man Utd and who I've never seen speak of any football outside of England yet speaks as though his word is gospel? I greatly look forward to your next post dripping in irony.

You have posted that Drogba was your childhood hero. That would have coincided with Chelsea's dominance in the premiership.

Your fawning over Barcelona and the church of Pep happened to coincide with the greatest player in the world plying his trade in the greatest club team ever seen.

You try and dominate the La Liga thread with sycophantic hyperbole and in the biggest game of the La Liga calendar, El Classico, when Barca scored it was more of the same yet when Madrid equalised, then took the lead you disappeared from the thread, apparently a massive Barca fan left watching the game to go out, strange one.

There are other recent instances of you pulling a David Copperfield when they lose but lo and behold when they tonked whoever they were playing last night there you were, big as life giving it the big I am.

So in my humble opinion you are a glory hunting charlatan.

But hey, I'm just one guy, like the old saying goes, opinions are like assholes, everybody has one.

You have posted that Drogba was your childhood hero. That would have coincided with Chelsea's dominance in the premiership.

Your fawning over Barcelona and the church of Pep happened to coincide with the greatest player in the world plying his trade in the greatest club team ever seen.

You try and dominate the La Liga thread with sycophantic hyperbole and in the biggest game of the La Liga calendar, El Classico, when Barca scored it was more of the same yet when Madrid equalised, then took the lead you disappeared from the thread, apparently a massive Barca fan left watching the game to go out, strange one.

There are other recent instances of you pulling a David Copperfield when they lose but lo and behold when they tonked whoever they were playing last night there you were, big as life giving it the big I am.

So in my humble opinion you are a glory hunting charlatan.

But hey, I'm just one guy, like the old saying goes, opinions are like assholes, everybody has one.

So you accept you are a glory hunter? Great, we can both be glory hunters together. Are you enjoying it? Being lumped into the same group as Andersonisgod? You must hate it.

Hmmm yes, I forgot that I'm a machine, eternally attached to Boards.ie, with my only purpose to offer football related opinions. To hell with things like social life or responsibilities. Are you on here all the time when Man Utd lose? Does anybody notice if you aren't?

So you accept you are a glory hunter? Great, we can both be glory hunters together. Are you enjoying it? Being lumped into the same group as Andersonisgod? You must hate it.

Hmmm yes, I forgot that I'm a machine, eternally attached to Boards.ie, with my only purpose to offer football related opinions. To hell with things like social life or responsibilities. Are you on here all the time when Man Utd lose? Does anybody notice if you aren't?

I never said that you should be attached to Boards, I simply find it amusing that when the team you preen over is doing well you are invariably around giving it socks about how wonderful they are yet when things aren't going too well you seem to be nowhere to be seen.

Now of course that COULD be purely coincidental but if Boards has taught me anything its that if something looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, its probably a duck.

I never said that you should be attached to Boards, I simply find it amusing that when the team you preen over is doing well you are invariably around giving it socks about how wonderful they are yet when things aren't going too well you seem to be nowhere to be seen.

Now of course that COULD be purely coincidental but if Boards has taught me anything its that if something looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, its probably a duck.

Strange then if I'm only here when the going is good where was I as Barça trashed Deportivo 8-0? Hmm does that throw a spanner into your outlandish theory?

Strange then if I'm only here when the going is good where was I as Barça trashed Deportivo 8-0? Hmm does that throw a spanner into your outlandish theory?

Marathon masturbation session?

• Advertisement

Marathon masturbation session?

So crass, so classless. I am above your response.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement