Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It took me far too long to find "computer games" in the topics list.. I think it shou

Options
  • 23-04-2016 9:31am

I looked for Gaming, then went through Recreation, then Entertainment, then Technology and then Social / Fun.

"Computer Games" feels like a really old term these days. Most young people associate games with handheld devices.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭HanaleiJ5N

Honestly, took me (who never visits/posts in that forum) about one second.

Probably because you looked for "computer games"?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,702 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Probably because you looked for "computer games"?

So out of all the possible headings:
    Arts
    Business & Finance
    Computer Games
    Education
    Entertainment
    Home & Garden
    Motoring & Transport
    Music
    Politics
    Recreation & Hobbies
    Science, Health & Environment
    Social & Fun
    Society & Culture
    Sports
    Technology & Internet

You thought Gaming was more likely to fall under "Recreation, then Entertainment, then Technology and then Social / Fun" just because "Computer Games" is a bit of an outdated term even though it's still obviously the closest one to Gaming under that list.

What did you think was under "Computer Games"? Solitare and Minesweeper?

Penn wrote: »
    So out of all the possible headings:
    Arts
    Business & Finance
    Computer Games
    Education
    Entertainment
    Home & Garden
    Motoring & Transport
    Music
    Politics
    Recreation & Hobbies
    Science, Health & Environment
    Social & Fun
    Society & Culture
    Sports
    Technology & Internet

You thought Gaming was more likely to fall under "Recreation, then Entertainment, then Technology and then Social / Fun" just because "Computer Games" is a bit of an outdated term even though it's still obviously the closest one to Gaming under that list.

What did you think was under "Computer Games"? Solitare and Minesweeper?

Jesus Christ, it's called Games on the old site design. I missed it and thought it had moved into a sub heading. I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel here. I'm suggesting that they keep it like it was.

Off the top of your head, where in your list is the boardgames forum now? It used to be in Games.. Now go find it and try tell me it's got a good name. I don't know anyone who uses the term they use which completely screws if alphabetically.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,305 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

There was some historical reasoning behind that. Previously it had been just "games" but that also covered tabletop/board games/RPGs/poker and the like. They got separated out to the recreationg category, so the previous games category was slightly renamed to reflect and clarify this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement