Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCTV how to find ip of dvr

Options
  • 23-04-2016 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭

Right this is a long shot but here goes. A neighbour (a farmer) had a system installed for monitoring his cows during the calving season. He had 4 cameras connected to a grundig dvr (a few years old now), anyway he used to be able to view the feeds on his phone through GDviewer on his mobile. His internet provider was eircom. He has since changed to NET1 broadband and he can no longer log in to view his cameras. I know whats wrong in that there would have been a static ip set on the dvr box, however how do i get logged into that box to change it or view it. It is connected to the router by lan cable but when i run Fing it does not show up as one of the devices connected to the network. :confused::confused::confused:.
    Oh and the guy that installed it has emigrated to Australia and we can't get in contact.:(:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Your router should be able to tell you the IPs of connected devices (don't know Net1 - whats router model?)
    ipconfig/all in a command prompt will tell you router IP ("Default Gateway")

edit: router may only tell you about DHCP (non-static) IPs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Your router should be able to tell you the IPs of connected devices (don't know Net1 - whats router model?)
    ipconfig/all in a command prompt will tell you router IP ("Default Gateway")

edit: router may only tell you about DHCP (non-static) IPs
    i think net 1 router gives ips in the range of 192.168.88.190 and so on. The router ip is 192.168.88.1 . i need to somehow.log into the dvr to change up to something above 192.168.88.198. However i cant.. log into it without knowing what it is

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Maybe the old router used a different range, eircom routers would normally use 192.168.1.x
    You could make a batch file with a load of ping commands, covering that range, and search the output for responses

Maybe the old router used a different range, eircom routers would normally use 192.168.1.x
    You could make a batch file with a load of ping commands, covering that range, and search the output for responses
    im afraid i dont know how to do that. If i brought it into my house and connected it.im with eircom. Would i find it then?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Download wireshark to a laptop, plug it directly into the ethernet port of the DVR, and look for any packets coming out of the DVR, particularly and ARP or DHCP frames which would contain its IP address.

Alternatively download ZenMap and do a ping scan the 192.168.1.x/24 range which is the normal range eircom routers use.

I missed that you used Fing. Change your phone's IP address to something on the above range and do a scan again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 srdjan.rosic

the 192.168.88.1 is a default ip that mikrotik/routeros/routerboard routers/network equipment has.

you should be able to reset it, and then log-in and reconfigure it anyway you want.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

If the IP range has changed and no longer corresponds with the camera you can ping the entire range from 0 to 255 all day long and never get a return.
    Best way is to find a manual for the camera system and find out how to do initial setup, there should be a way to do a factory reset, this will reset the camera to it's default IP, hook a laptop up to it directly (configured in the corresponding range) and then you can log in and change it to the correct range.
    Or, if you're lucky, factory reset will reactivate DHCP on the camera and it will pull itself an IP and become visible on the network, so run an arp -a to get the IP.

If the IP range has changed and no longer corresponds with the camera you can ping the entire range from 0 to 255 all day long and never get a return.
    It's on a static IP so if they change the device they're using to look for it to the same range they'll be able to find it.

I'd avoid factory resetting as it could be a nightmare to reconfigure the entire setup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

FYI, your issue is not the static IP to the camera. It will work with DHCP, but it seems like you have not enabled port forwarding on the router so that it can connect to outside the network.

Thanks for all the replies guys. Ill have another crack monday and see how i get on. Thanks again

• Advertisement

TheChizler wrote: »
    It's on a static IP so if they change the device they're using to look for it to the same range they'll be able to find it.

Yes, but that is of course the tricky bit. If that IP is unknown, they could be looking for a long time. One good option could be to download or look for the manual for the camera system and follow the initial setup routine.
    Of course one way could be to either set up 192.x.x.x/8 or 10.x.x.x/8 and connect directly, that should cover almost all ranges.

Yes, but that is of course the tricky bit. If that IP is unknown, they could be looking for a long time. One good option could be to download or look for the manual for the camera system and follow the initial setup routine.
    Of course one way could be to either set up 192.x.x.x/8 or 10.x.x.x/8 and connect directly, that should cover almost all ranges.
    Yes but as it was on an eircom router the nerwork was more than likely left unchanged on 192.168.1.x. If that fails I'd capture everything coming out of the DVR to see can I learn anything before doing anything as drastic as a factory reset or initial setup.

TallGlass wrote: »
    FYI, your issue is not the static IP to the camera. It will work with DHCP, but it seems like you have not enabled port forwarding on the router so that it can connect to outside the network.

Good point. He could have both issues, because he can't even log into the web GUI. First it would have to work internally.

Yes but as it was on an eircom router the nerwork was more than likely left unchanged on 192.168.1.x. If that fails I'd capture everything coming out of the DVR to see can I learn anything before doing anything as drastic as a factory reset or initial setup.

Good starting point. I don't know if wireshark will capture anything that is outside the IP range of the machine it's on, since the network card might just drop the packets.

Good starting point. I don't know if wireshark will capture anything that is outside the IP range of the machine it's on, since the network card might just drop the packets.
    Wireshark captures ALL. :D

I have a terrible habit of changing the static IPs of prototypes at work and not recording the change somewhere. Wireshark is a lifesaver.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Arp -a will find it ladies.

http://i.stack.imgur.com/G4Npq.png

Once you've found it you'll need to forward two ports to it, 80 for browsers and 5xxx for mobiles(the app). This requires he isn't on CGN with Net1 and either needs to purchase a static WAN IP from them or use a dynamic DNS provider like No-IP.

Also if you log into the DVR. In the settings it should say either the IP it's using or the MAC. If you get the MAC, then do a ARP -a from the CMD youll get the IP.

Also if you log into the DVR. In the settings it should say either the IP it's using or the MAC. If you get the MAC, then do a ARP -a from the CMD youll get the IP.

Well, that's the tricky bit without knowing the IP! ;)

Wireshark captures ALL. :D

I have a terrible habit of changing the static IPs of prototypes at work and not recording the change somewhere. Wireshark is a lifesaver.

Cool, will try that myself.

ED E wrote: »
    Arp -a will find it ladies.
    I'm genuinely at a loss as to how that displayed something from a different network in the arp table. Was convinced it built it only from the same LAN plus local internal stuff.

• Advertisement

Well, that's the tricky bit without knowing the IP! ;)

I mean as in physically log into the DVR.

I mean as in physically log into the DVR.

OK, was thinking of web GUI.
    OP, let us know what make and model the DVR is and we'll know more about it, because it's all a bit of guesswork right now.

OK, was thinking of web GUI.
    OP, let us know what make and model the DVR is and we'll know more about it, because it's all a bit of guesswork right now.

I will do when i get back to it. It will be monday now im afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

If its an older Grundig DVR, may not have a web GUI so it may be easier plugging in a monitor-possibly VGA-then search online for the default/admin user name and password. Most people don't bother changing it anyway, so you may be lucky. Log in and go to the network settings, chances are the app is not seing it as you may need to open a few ports on the new router.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I'm genuinely at a loss as to how that displayed something from a different network in the arp table. Was convinced it built it only from the same LAN plus local internal stuff.

ARP works primarily on L2, it finds whats physically close not logically, and those addresses are reserved. 169 is self assigned, 224 is multicast and 255 is broadcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭denismc

I don't have a Grundig PVR but mine is hooked up to an pc monitor via a vga cable and I access the menu through this. I think mine has a 4 digit pin and the default is 1234 or 0000 so your model may have a similar setup. Bit of a long shot but maybe worth a try.

ED E wrote: »
    ARP works primarily on L2, it finds whats physically close not logically, and those addresses are reserved. 169 is self assigned, 224 is multicast and 255 is broadcast.
    But since ARP is kind of a bridge between L2 and L3 I would only expect the cache to be populated with entries from the same network that the interface is configured on. So if the PC doing the searching is on 192.168.11.x I wouldn't expect the ARP table to be populated with entries from outside that range (apart from a few internal special addresses). Was your interface confinured on multiple networks?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Big Lar

If you can jopin the wifi network with your phone download this app and you can scan the network.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.overlook.android.fing&hl=en

Big Lar wrote: »
    If you can jopin the wifi network with your phone download this app and you can scan the network.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.overlook.android.fing&hl=en
    They did that in the OP! :D Problem is it's on a different network.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

Download wireshark to a laptop, plug it directly into the ethernet port of the DVR, and look for any packets coming out of the DVR, particularly and ARP or DHCP frames which would contain its IP address.

+1
    this is my preferred method. Works perfectly

Advertisement