Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCTV how to find ip of dvr

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

TheChizler wrote: »
    But since ARP is kind of a bridge between L2 and L3 I would only expect the cache to be populated with entries from the same network that the interface is configured on. So if the PC doing the searching is on 192.168.11.x I wouldn't expect the ARP table to be populated with entries from outside that range (apart from a few internal special addresses). Was your interface confinured on multiple networks?

Arp resolves switched networks, so it matches any device with a MAC in its CD. It matches IP to MAC, but doesnt care what the IP is, not its problem.

Seriously, Wireshark is a great tool but totally unnecessary here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

arp -a is not going to work unless you have previously communicated with the device by IP address and have the MAC address cached. And usually if you have communicated with it you know already know the hostname/IP address.

Wireshark is simple, gives you all the layer 2 and layer 3 traffic, and importantly lets you isolate the device you are trying to work out the IP of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

its a grundig GDV B2208A .
    8wzeqa.jpg

the router is this one, not sure what make it is.
    3478rdh.jpg

I have downloaded a manual so I'll give it a read later.

denismc wrote: »
    I don't have a Grundig PVR but mine is hooked up to an pc monitor via a vga cable and I access the menu through this. I think mine has a 4 digit pin and the default is 1234 or 0000 so your model may have a similar setup. Bit of a long shot but maybe worth a try.

Yes I found a piece of paper in the cabinet with this on it .
    6gd7v6.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

So it looks like there should be a monitor connected to the Grundig with a configuration menu and there should be Ethernet settings in there.

• Advertisement

Hey UrbanFret, can I confirm something about the GDV B2208A. Is it plugged into a screen of any kind that you can view the cameras on?

Sorry for the delay in getting back. I did connect a monitor and a mouse to the dvr. I managed to access the menu and change the ip to something valid on the new router. However i can only access the cameras on the local network. Anyone able to guide me through the process of viewing the cameras from any location. I know it involves port forwarding or something . How do I access the router settings for the router pictured above (net1 internet provider)? the port I can view them on locally is 8080.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Find the routers config page at the IP address of default gateway in results of ipconfig/all
    you may need to google default user/pass for it
    check out http://portforward.com/ for help after that if needed

Port forwarding can be tricky to get working sometimes because every router has it's own implementation, and it's own interface to implement it. Some require both a firewall rule and a forwarding rule, some require just a forwarding rule. What type of Internet router do you have?

At least you can use one of the online port scanners to test it.
    TCP Port Scan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

Not only will he need to do port forwarding but he will have to have a static WAN IP to access it remotely, either that or use some kind of dyndns service like dyn.com or noip.com

• Advertisement

Port forwarding can be tricky to get working sometimes because every router has it's own implementation, and it's own interface to implement it. Some require both a firewall rule and a forwarding rule, some require just a forwarding rule. What type of Internet router do you have?

At least you can use one of the online port scanners to test it.
    TCP Port Scan

Ok thanks for the reply. Its a hap lite by mickrotik. ISP is NET1 I can't get logged into the bloody thing as Net1 must change the default router log in. I am so close it's infuriating. I have downloaded the winbox software as this is recommended. I keep getting invalid user name or password. I have asked the people to ring net1 tomorrow and find out what they changed it to.:(

davo2001 wrote: »
    Not only will he need to do port forwarding but he will have to have a static WAN IP to access it remotely, either that or use some kind of dyndns service like dyn.com or noip.com
    Yes. thanks. I got logged into the dvr and have set a static ip address. I can access the cameras on my phone over lan but without port forwarding enabled on the router i can't access them remotely.

I have logged into the router and gone to IP -> Firewall -> NAT ->Clicked the "+" to add a new NAT rule. Modified the "Chain" to "dstnat" the "Protocol" to "tcp", and "Dst. Port" to "8080". Clicked the "Action" tab, changed the "Action" value to "dst-nat", the "To Addresses" to "192.168.*.***" and the "To Ports" to "8080"clicked apply then ok rebooted router and still no joy. I've had enough at this stage to be honest, what could be the problem???:confused::confused::confused:

Advertisement