Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

List for new house - ethical issue

Options
  • 23-04-2016 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭

Right so in short I've had my name down for a development since Feb. First time buyer finance approved. I was told in Feb that there was a very long list ahead of me & I recently went back to see the houses & estate agent told me to keep hassling her to ring her all the time & prove I was in a position to buy. Her senior colleague subsequently told me they d have to be fair to everyone on list but to ring her back so I did & after two more ring backs they offered me a house.

Now I'm wondering about the list? Is it my problem or is it up to the estate agent? I didn't actually ask btw are you letting me skip the list the list or did they all drop out (which would seem odd in the current market). I have no issue skipping people who have a property to sell because I think I'm the better option as a first time buyer as I can close quicker but I do skipping other people.

My OH doesn't want to here it the house is perfect location & we can afford it, he basically says you didn't use s connection or inside information what is the issue?!

Any feedback welcome, if I pulled out I think myself & my OH would have a serious issue but I don't want to sit in my house feeling bad about it!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I would not worry,it is a commercial market and they want to sell and once you have the money they do not care who they are selling to.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭mvt

Firstly I'd say you'll be a great neighbour :)

Take anything an agent for a developer says with a pinch of salt.

If its for sale & you are able to buy it just go for it.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I'd be willing to bet the list of buyers was a lot smaller than the list of interested parties.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Good Luck with the new house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

We got our house because we went to see the show houses on a Saturday. One had come back in on Friday evening and they hadn't started calling the list yet.

The list tends to be a bit notional anyway and the estate agents know this. People put their name down because they're vaguely interested in maybe buying one of the houses. A lot of time can be wasted by ringing number 1, waiting for them to get back to you, giving them time to think it over, then moving on down the list. Any estate agent will take the actual sale to the person actively looking who says yes on the spot before following the list. Wait for the list by all means, but I wouldn't expect to get a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Ellie2008

Thanks for allege replies.

Agreed re the estate agent I don't think they care once ther get a quick sale with no hassle.

There s another thread on boards about this particular development it's quite small only 50 houses, and a handful in the last phase which I am buying and a couple of people in that thread mentioned they had their names down, although one mentioned their apartment so possibly not a FTB.

manybe I'm wrong to care I've gotten what I want very much after all, just I'm thinking if I was one of those people with their names down waiting for a phone call would I lot he pissed off & feel screwed over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

If you were one of those people with the name down really wanting the house you wouldn't be waiting for a phonecall. You would do exactly the same as you did and ring them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Ellie2008 wrote: »
    Right so in short I've had my name down for a development since Feb. First time buyer finance approved. I was told in Feb that there was a very long list ahead of me & I recently went back to see the houses & estate agent told me to keep hassling her to ring her all the time & prove I was in a position to buy. Her senior colleague subsequently told me they d have to be fair to everyone on list but to ring her back so I did & after two more ring backs they offered me a house.

Now I'm wondering about the list? Is it my problem or is it up to the estate agent? I didn't actually ask btw are you letting me skip the list the list or did they all drop out (which would seem odd in the current market). I have no issue skipping people who have a property to sell because I think I'm the better option as a first time buyer as I can close quicker but I do skipping other people.

My OH doesn't want to here it the house is perfect location & we can afford it, he basically says you didn't use s connection or inside information what is the issue?!

Any feedback welcome, if I pulled out I think myself & my OH would have a serious issue but I don't want to sit in my house feeling bad about it!

Faint heart never won fair lady.

You put in the effort, you got your just reward.

Best wishes with your house!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I wouldn't have any qualms about it, seriously go for the house and don't give a second thought to other people, if they have the money to buy they won't be left behind elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

I can't see you did anything other than show your interest and be ready to buy. You were one of the first picked most likely because you had fully committed and had the mortgage ready. I would agree with others in that a lot of people on the list only put their names down to keep options open. How they want to manage their interested customers is the developer and EA's business.

Nothing wrong with the way you went about it. Take the house and enjoy it. You had the same opportunity as anyone else did.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

A list depends on what it is ordered by. For example, social housing lists are ordered by priority not by application date. Hence this list could be ordered by the willingness of listees actually interested enough in proceeding.

• Advertisement
Advertisement