Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crane Fly larvae killing lawn

Options
  • 23-04-2016 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭

Need help please!
    I have a very large area on my lawn that has lost all the grass over the last couple of months and I can see the rest of the lawn is getting brown patches that look as though they are going to end up the same way. One large patch is just bald soil now. I thought at first that it was due to waterlogging, it borders some farmland that had lots of standing water over the winter but I now believe it is crane fly larvae eating my grass.
    I have read about a biological method of eradication using nematodes you water in, but all advice seems to be that is done in autumn. Is it a waste of time doing it now and if so, where do I get them? Do I just let the whole area, 35 mtrs by 5 mtrs just get eaten and then try to recover it next year? How do I prevent other separate areas of lawn going the same way?
    I could cry, this was looking beautiful all of last year.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

have you confirmed your hunch by digging into the soil to find them?

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭twignme

have you confirmed your hunch by digging into the soil to find them?

Yes I did look and they are there, fat and obviously very happy :( . I was going to put a black plastic sheet over a patch to see what came up overnight but there was enough evidence when I dug down today to be positive.

Advertisement