Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a pistol

Options
  • 23-04-2016 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭

I understand that to buy and license a .22 pistol I must be a member of a range. But my question is, am I restricted to shooting at the range that I state on my application or can I shoot at any pistol range.
    Also I have heard mention of a list of pistols that can be licensed but the only list from the DOJ I can find is dated 2002. Has this been superseded or is it still valid.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

You can shoot at any range once your licensed and the range caters for pistols. Almost any .22 pistol will do the job and if it's for sale at an rfd, you should be grand

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Luckysasha wrote: »
    I understand that to buy and license a .22 pistol I must be a member of a range. But my question is, am I restricted to shooting at the range that I state on my application or can I shoot at any pistol range.
    Unless the Super makes shooting on your range ONLY a condition of your license then no, you can shoot on any range. Make a point of saying you intend to compete on various authorised ranges on your FCA1 (on the separate sheet of paper under reason for this firearm)
    Also I have heard mention of a list of pistols that can be licensed but the only list from the DOJ I can find is dated 2002. Has this been superseded or is it still valid.
    There is no "list". I know what you're speaking about, but the law says .22lr, barrel not less than 10cm (4 inches), limited to 5 rounds (mag) max. Even the Olympic crowd (ISSF) don't have a list of suitable pistols as it would deter beginners if they were forced to buy Ferinwerkbau, Pardini, Walther SSP, etc. from the off.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Thanks guys. Cass good to hear there is no list to pick from as such. Reason I ask is I'm going to America next week and plan on visiting a range or two. As they would have a vast selection of pistols to choose from I'm hoping if I like one in particular then my RFD would be able to get it for me. Rather than me having to pick from a limited stock here.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Just bear in mind the minimums or legal restraints when looking at you should be good to go. Also no harm to source some 5 round mags, restricted to 5 at source, as it'll save you grief if trying to import later.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement