Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Christy Ring/Nicky Rackard/Lory Meagher Cups 2016

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Savage win for Meath

Said it a few times,they were the best team we played last year by a long way

Delighted for them that they have come through this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Gerry McEntee won't be happy :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,333 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Brilliant finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

well done meath great comeback , taught they left themselves too much to do after a nervous first 25 minutes , antrim will be back up at some stage but they must get there own house in order first

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Al_Coholic

Enjoyed all 3 games today especially the last one
    Brilliant win for Meath

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Yip, it would be a big job to take on the Antrim management job after this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Bambi wrote: »
    Gerry McEntee won't be happy :D

Burn the footballs :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Yip, it would be a big job to take on the Antrim management job after this year.

Ye'd have to wonder what's going on up there, another year in the christy ring :confused:

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »

When him and O'Rourke outlining the strategic plan for meath GAA a while back someone asked him where hurling fit into it and he replied "We'll burn every hurley in the county"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Unbelievable atmosphere for such a small crowd.

Hon the Royals!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,605 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Well done Meath. Means we won't have the rather farcical prospect of representatives from all 4 provinces playing in Leinster next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Delighted for Meath. I didn't think Antrim would be beaten at this level so it's a fantastic achievement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭PressRun

Some controversy here? RTE and Antrim saying it was actually a draw? Doubt anything will be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Thought the scoreboard seemed to change randomly alright, but I'd imagine if the ref has it down as a win, its a win.

• Advertisement

Just heard them talking about it on the radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

It was also on the Rte news there now.

Where do Antrim go from here? They are where they deserve to be. Talk is of confidence issues, but there does seem to be a lack of talent across the 15 to go higher.

There wasn't a replay last time Meath were at the centre of a controversial final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

But if the referee reports the final score as Meath 2-18, Antrim 1-20, is that not the end of the matter? Is the referee's decision not final?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

I'd hope so as personally I prefer things to end on the field no matter what, but I don't think this one is over by a long way. The only problem Antrim may face is that the majority of the media won't really care as it's not high profile.

Oh it's Meath they'll care. We'll be watched under a microscope to see how we deal with it after going through 2010.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

What way did players react at the end? You would have to know the score of a game you were playing in surely???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

iDave wrote: »
    Oh it's Meath they'll care. We'll be watched under a microscope to see how we deal with it after going through 2010.

as like in 2010 the cup was presented and the game is over , johney ryan told tg4 that he had meath down as winners the report on the hogan stand web site clarifies the confusion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

But if the referee reports the final score as Meath 2-18, Antrim 1-20, is that not the end of the matter? Is the referee's decision not final?

But surely the Antrim players would have thought they were drawing the match when in fact they were losing. Meaning their tactics and hunger to get a score would be entirely different.

If this was the All Ireland senior final there would no doubt be a replay.

What a fcuk up. Only in the gaa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

I'm still not over scoring the winning point in an U-10 final, only for the referee to incorrectly say it was a drawn match. We lost the replay. Some things never change

• Registered Users Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

According to the RTE.ie it says that the confusion arises from an Antrim point being awarded to Meath...forgive me if i'm wrong, but doesn't that indicate a two point turnaround, meaning Antrim should have won?

Edit, it shows the Antrim score was then corrected but not the Meath score. silly me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

According to the RTE.ie it says that the confusion arises from an Antrim point being awarded to Meath...forgive me if i'm wrong, but doesn't that indicate a two point turnaround, meaning Antrim should have won?

Edit, it shows the Antrim score was then corrected but not the Meath score. silly me.

A shame that they abolished the Primary Cert. exam. Problem solved if mutts could be asked to show their Primary result in arithmetic before getting the job of scorekeeper.

What a day's entertainment! What with those resurrections I wondered if it was the feastday of St. Lazarus.
    My only caveat is this: I thought the pace of the first half in Mayo v. Armagh was pedestrian. But it did liven up in the second half. It was good to see Keith Higgins giving his all for the hurlers.
    All three games were played in a very sporting spirit. It was refreshing to see Mayo sub Stephen Clinch, no. 18, and his opposite number ( no. 17 ) greet each other with a handshake when Clinch came on. How seldom we see that these days. So seldom that I'm thinking of starting a GAA thread titled "Baboon of the Week" to show up the yobs who think it obligatory to give their opponent a dig when they take the field, or vice versa. Without condoning it, it is understandable that tempers sometimes flare in the heat of battle, but this puerile "I'm here" with a dig before a ball is struck is not to my knowledge replicated in any other sport that lays claim to being a man's game, other than Gaelic football where it is even more prevalent. It should at all times be responded to with a card, preferably a red one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Been quite a while since I've felt like that after a Meath game. If it wasn't actually a victory, it'll be devastating. We can't seem to win a final without controversy nowadays.
    I will admit that I got confused in the last quarter. Thought we were 4 down, scored a point and then noticed that the scoreboard showed us two down. But surely the referee keeps his own score? Surely he would seek clarification if his score differs from that on the big screen. If it turns out to be incorrect (and I've a feeling it is) I'd begrudgingly admit that a replay would be required. It's not like the Leinster final where a referee should have awarded a free out, but didn't, it's a complete miscalculation of the scores.

What a performance from the team though. The scenes on the pitch and in the stands were incredible. Something I've not seen in Meath hurling before.

Been quite a while since I've felt like that after a Meath game. If it wasn't actually a victory, it'll be devastating. We can't seem to win a final without controversy nowadays.
    I will admit that I got confused in the last quarter. Thought we were 4 down, scored a point and then noticed that the scoreboard showed us two down. But surely the referee keeps his own score? Surely he would seek clarification if his score differs from that on the big screen. If it turns out to be incorrect (and I've a feeling it is) I'd begrudgingly admit that a replay would be required. It's not like the Leinster final where a referee should have awarded a free out, but didn't, it's a complete miscalculation of the scores.

What a performance from the team though. The scenes on the pitch and in the stands were incredible. Something I've not seen in Meath hurling before.

Indeed, a magnificent performance by Meath, probably their best since the heady days of the late 80s/early 90s ( Pat Potterton, Michael Cole etc.. ) I was going to be sorry to see either county lose this final, and while I will stay strictly neutral on what should happen now, I will feel the pain of Meath if victory is snatched from them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Regardless of the actual Christy Ring result, it goes to how how ridiculous it is that these competitions are basically ignored by the media. They began weeks before the NHL finished and the finals are done and dusted in the first week in June (there are a few promotion/relegation playoffs still to play).

But yesterday's games, while obviously not as high in skill, were as entertaining as any game of hurling you're likely to see. The Lory Meagher final had 4 goals in the last 5 minutes and saw Louth win with a 16 point turnaround. The Nicky Rackard was nip and tuck all the way between by far the two best teams in the competition (Armagh will walk it next year as long as they keep their team together). And the scenes at the Christy Ring final were incredible. To see such a large crowd sing COYBIG for the Meath hurlers was special. Yet the GAA would rather focus on one sided borefests than focus on the lower tier hurling counties.

Agreed. While it wasn't full of all the skills we see in hurling of the highest level, all three matches were dramatic and exciting even from a neutral's perspective, and clearly meant a great deal to those involved. It was really nice too to watch teams you wouldn't ordinarily associate with hurling having their moment in Croke Park. Shame the GAA doesn't see the value in promoting it more.

Bad news for Meath. Off the Ball reporting that there may have been an error in ref's score taking. CCCC meeting on Tuesday.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Bad news for Meath. Off the Ball reporting that there may have been an error in ref's score taking. CCCC meeting on Tuesday.

If the ref admits an error and says so in his initial report, the it may be a replay. If otherwise, the CCCC's hands are tied. AFAIK they cannot over-rule a ref.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

Yet the GAA would rather focus on one sided borefests than focus on the lower tier hurling counties.

Funny, the need for a change in the Football Championship was really brought home to me by the scenes yesterday at the hurling. I find that each successive Football Championship appears to get less and less enticing, and the only meaningful fixtures are from August on.

Having a two (or even a three) tier Championship would take some getting used to, but if there was a determination to implement it and keep it in place, then the culture would eventually change.

• Advertisement

If the ref admits an error and says so in his initial report, the it may be a replay. If otherwise, the CCCC's hands are tied. AFAIK they cannot over-rule a ref.

I would have thought the refs report is final alright, but if he looks at the video and realizes he made an error...then what?

Ref's report is final so if he is admitting he made a mistake, as seems to be the word going around, then there will be a replay.

Far too much of these stupid mistakes. There was a miscalled 45 in the AI football final FFS! Not fair on lads who spend their entire year training to be at the whim of this sort of thing. And that applies to both counties involved, but particularly to Meath who will be devastated if this turns out to be replayed after they thought they had won.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Ref's report is final so if he is admitting he made a mistake, as seems to be the word going around, then there will be a replay.

Far too much of these stupid mistakes. There was a miscalled 45 in the AI football final FFS! Not fair on lads who spend their entire year training to be at the whim of this sort of thing. And that applies to both counties involved, but particularly to Meath who will be devastated if this turns out to be replayed after they thought they had won.

RTE News Now is running a ticker that says the ref has admitted a mistake. If that is so, it opens up a whole new scenario:(.

RTE News Now is running a ticker that says the ref has admitted a mistake. If that is so, it opens up a whole new scenario:(.

Feel sorry for Meath, but there has to be replay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭paul71

Whole thing hinges on a second half incident and a shot by Meath Midfielder Healy. I rewatched the entire game on TNG and noted score myself, ignoring both scoreboard and TNG score. Antrim score is correct. Meath score is correct only if referee marked this as a score.

Umpires waved it wide, Meath players protested and ref said something but cannot see if he marked it in notebook or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

All the more reason for there to be an official score keeper and an official timekeeper, in the stands, for the big games in Croke Park. Let the poor ref concentrate on the game & nothing else.

• Advertisement

ProudDUB wrote: »
    All the more reason for their to be an official score keeper and an official timekeeper, in the stands, for the big games in Croke Park. Let the poor ref concentrate on the game & nothing else.

Yeap, like basketball, timekeeper and scorekeeper on the bench are match officials.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Yeah and have someone else take care of the substitutions too. Although that wouldn't have been much use in Nowlan Park yesterday. #Disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

It is only proper order that the match is replayed.

seligehgit wrote: »
    It is only proper order that the match is replayed.

Only if the referee confirms that he did not allow the Healy point, if it was allowed as some seem to believe the linesman told him it was good, then Meath did win by a point.

• Advertisement
Advertisement