Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First proper set-up

• 23-04-2016 3:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of moving on from Nespresso pods - budget of 250-300 for grinder plus espresso machine.

I was thinking of a Gaggia Baby or Gaggia Espresso plus a Sage Heston Blumenthal grinder. Any thoughts or alternatives?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I'm thinking of moving on from Nespresso pods - budget of 250-300 for grinder plus espresso machine.

I was thinking of a Gaggia Baby or Gaggia Espresso plus a Sage Heston Blumenthal grinder. Any thoughts or alternatives?

Edit... Better response...

A new Gaggia MDF grinder is €150 or so I think and a Gaggia Classic is about €300 so you'd need to increase budget or go second hand.

Been said here before if your budget is where yours is its either save more or go the Aeropress and hand grinder route. Spend the rest on really good quality feshly toasted beans.

To be honest I use my Aeropress waaaay more than my espresso machine these days.

Just note Aeropress isn't espresso but it makes a beautiful clean cup of coffee.

I've introduced my two brothers and parents to it and all are using it daily and swear by it.

If you're determined to go espresso at this very minute and that's you're budget definately go 2nd hand to try and get the best possible equipment. I doubt it's possible though personally.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 upsideireland

I agree with murphyebass here. Having an espresso machine at home can be a labour of love. Between letting the boiler get up to temperature, dialling in the grind, cleaning up after.. it can get a bit fiddly.

Getting something like a Sage, a Baratza Preciso or even Encore grinder will give you the means to make a good aeropress, V60 or French Press, up to or above the standard found in most cafes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Thanks for the replies - just some quick questions.

Where can you get a Gaggia MDF for 150? Cheapest I can find is 199 GBP on Amazon UK. Of the others listed above I can find the Sage for 139 GBP, Baratza Encore for 142 EUR, or Baratza Preciso for 299 EUR. Which of these is best, or am I missing anything?

I can find Gaggia classic for 215 on Amazon IT, so if I was to get the Sage or Encore then I wouldn't have entirely blown my budget.

Also, are there massive disadvantages to the cheaper Gaggia's - baby or espresso?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

A good budget option for a burr grinder is the Graef CM800. Currently €128 on amazon.de
    http://www.amazon.de/Graef-CM800-Kaffeem%C3%BChle-CM-800/dp/B00CS2DAEG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1461523483&sr=8-1&keywords=graef

I bought mine about 18 months ago and its served me very well. Read the reviews, most customers seem very happy with it.

Regards a machine I'd go for a Gaggia Classic over the Baby. The Classic is a workhorse and will last you years if properly maintained. You should be able to pick up used units for around €150.

Thanks, will go for the Gaggia Classic so.

Still undecided on the grinder...

• Advertisement

Thanks, will go for the Gaggia Classic so.

Still undecided on the grinder...

Watermark (Gaggia.ie) used to sell the Gaggia MDF for €150. I think they up'd it to €175 but now it's not on their site at all. There is 3 grinders but I know nothing about them and there's no price on them so maybe they're for commercial use.

Make sure you don't get the newer Gaggia classic as it has no solenoid valve afaik. Google it for differences. A 2nd hand machine for that reason alone might be the way forward. Just make sure it's been cared for, descaler, back flushed etc...

Picked up a Gaggia Classic on Amazon DE Warehouse deals for 120€ delivered - not the recommended older version but worth a chance at that price. Now just need a grinder!

Picked up a Gaggia Classic on Amazon DE Warehouse deals for 120€ delivered - not the recommended older version but worth a chance at that price. Now just need a grinder!

That's pretty darn cheap.

afaik the newer version can't be backflushed due to having no solenoid valve.

Maybe one of the other more knowledgeable lads here can confirm, deny or expand on that as I could ruin the machine if you try it and it's not possible.

Seeing this thread reminds me I need to do a bit of work on my own.

I need to reduce the temp and do the 9 bar mod/change.

That's pretty darn cheap.

afaik the newer version can't be backflushed due to having no solenoid valve.

Maybe one of the other more knowledgeable lads here can confirm, deny or expand on that as I could ruin the machine if you try it and it's not possible.

Seeing this thread reminds me I need to do a bit of work on my own.

I need to reduce the temp and do the 9 bar mod/change.

Sorry for the stupid question but what does it mean if it can't be back flushed?

Sorry to drag up my own older thread but I still don't have a grinder. Thinking of going second hand and getting a (very good condition) Mazzer Super Jolly or even Major for 300ish. Any thoughts on this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

Isn't it too much for the home use? Just imagine amount of the coffee wasted due to grounds retention .
    It is commercial grinder, build to last in a busy environment (coffee shops etc).
    I wonder if it is any better than Rocky grinder in a terms of a grind quality(clumping etc) ?

Tending to agree with you actually, I'd only be using it for 2-3 coffees a day on weekdays so it is perhaps best to get something without a doser

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Tending to agree with you actually, I'd only be using it for 2-3 coffees a day on weekdays so it is perhaps best to get something without a doser

As I vary a good bit between pour over/aeropress/espresso I am thinking of getting the Baratza Sette when it comes out, for home use. Waiting for price and reviews to see how it fairs first obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Most places will grind for you
    Badger and Dodo etc
    I have Sylvia and Iberital grinder but recently like v60 a lot.
    Quick tasty

Thanks for all of the replies here - I ended up getting a Gaggia Classic (unfortunately the newer less well regarded version) and Gaggia MDF) - both new and well under my 250€ budget delivered.

Aside from some good beans, anyone recommend what else I need beyond what comes in the box. Tamper, milk jug, anything else?

I'll be buying online, preferably eBay / Amazon / even AliExpress

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Weighing scales, metal tamper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Knock out box?
    Tamping mat - just use a leather coaster for moment

Advertisement