Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Considering 201212 Passat but oil cap gunky

• 23-04-2016 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

I'm looking at buying a 2012 Passat with 80k miles(1.6 diesel)
    ( buying off one of these reselling dealers who don't do own mechanic work as far as I can tell)

Im happy to buy car but worried about potential coolant getting into engine due to
    - coolant almost empty (I think it went down half a cup over test drive)
    - indications of yellow gunk under oil cap
    - engine spat some water initially and then more like steam when running with oil cap off(after 10k drive)

I'm wondering if head gasket could be gone?

Dealer tells me the car will be serviced, engine flushed, car NCT'd before its ready. Also there is 3month warrenty and option to pay more for full yr

I'm thinking now I'll have independent mechanic look car over b4 I buy.
    Just looking for any thoughts /advice

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Does the car have a full service history? Coolant almost empty would make me run away, did the seller not check basic stuff before putting it up for sale, it could even be getting damaged from test drives if fluids are low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 527 ✭✭✭acronym Chilli

I'm looking at buying a 2012 Passat with 80k miles(1.6 diesel)
    ( buying off one of these reselling dealers who don't do own mechanic work as far as I can tell)

Im happy to buy car but worried about potential coolant getting into engine due to
    - coolant almost empty (I think it went down half a cup over test drive)
    - indications of yellow gunk under oil cap
    - engine spat some water initially and then more like steam when running with oil cap off(after 10k drive)

I'm wondering if head gasket could be gone?

Dealer tells me the car will be serviced, engine flushed, car NCT'd before its ready. Also there is 3month warrenty and option to pay more for full yr

I'm thinking now I'll have independent mechanic look car over b4 I buy.
    Just looking for any thoughts /advice
    Unless you're buying as a fixer-upper or project car none of that sounds at all good. If you get mechanic to look at this make sure you go thru all symptoms with him/her.

Head gasket blown by itself is bad. But in this case you'll also need to worry about what cause was, how long it's been left broken, and general chronic under-maintenance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There are hundreds of similar Passats for sale, why would you dwell on one with a question mark over it?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭little_monty

Thanks for the comments all, Yeah i think i will walk from this one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

What spec is it and how much is the asking price?

• Advertisement

What spec is it and how much is the asking price?

Its a comfortline with some extras.
    Selling for 15k but I'm getting a 1k more on trade in than I expect

Just wondering if a mechanic could diagnose head gasket type problem after car is newly serviced ? (it would require a pressure test?)

Advertisement