Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Articulating Monitor arm with 1-1.5m throw?

Options
  • 23-04-2016 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭

This is my DIY homebrew Bedside PC and Monitor mounting solution.

iSCfS2o.jpg

The sFF PC is going to my brother as I'm building myself a Desktop VR gaming machine shortly. This will be at the other end of the room from the bed. I'll either run a 10m HDMI from the new PC to the bedside location or hopefully be able to utilise WiDi (Wireless HDMI) as I still want to be able to browse the internet in bed and will have a 23" Monitor mounted on an articulating arm to a bedside locker.

So I need an articulating monitor arm that doesn't need to be a beast because its for a lightweight 23" LCD panel but it needs to have 1-1.5m throw in order to position it relative to the bed like my picture above. I cant reuse the solution pictured because I'm now in a different room and the bed will not be against a wall like in that old picture.

Can anyone recommend an articulating monitor arm with that kind of throw that wont break the bank?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

There is a wall mount version of the Ergotech Freedom Arm, they work out at about €120 each though and go out about 600mm. Looked at one before but too expensive, got a bog standard one for €30 from argos which did the job-only needed to extend about 200mm from the wall though. Ebay may be worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Nice one glynf. I had already looked at Ergotech, Ergotron etc but didn't see anything with the throw I wanted. However, when I read your post and where you mention 600mm, I said to myself, "Nah, has to be 1000mm.....actually, hold on, does it really??"

For some reason I was measuring to the centre back of the bedside locker against the back wall which gave me 500mm arm pivot 500mm to get from the Vesa mount on the back of the monitor to that position on the Locker. However thinking about your 600mm arm finds, when I measured 300mm arm pivot 300mm the pole would instead need to be mounted about half the depth of the locker on the bed facing side rather than the back...and I asked myself what was wrong with that? The answer is of course, "Nothing!" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,219 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Sleeeep.... gooood. Look at the eyes!

Aaand - back in the room! :)

Not your ornery onager

No probs Calibos,

Looks like there is an extension available too, gives another 230mm reach.

Like the DIY cooling setup BTW :)

Oh, You magnificent b@stard!! :D

The Ergotron with that extension is absolutely perfect!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Make sure where you are anchoring it has good support, the stress at the mounting point to the wall is greatly increased with the length of the arm, as it is in essence a cantilever support.

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Make sure where you are anchoring it has good support, the stress at the mounting point to the wall is greatly increased with the length of the arm, as it is in essence a cantilever support.

Should be OK I think. Will be mounting a lightweight 23" AOC monitor with integrated speakers. Looked at a video of the Ergotron LX and there is a thick backplate with 6 screw holes for bolting to the side of the Locker (No need for the desk clamp part in my case. If at full extension the locker is at risk of toppling, I have a heavy cast iron Mic pole foot I can bolt to the bottom back of the locker to counterweight the monitor out on the arm.

You could also fix to to a 2" timber upright studs in the wall, even 2 x 50mm wood screws and put plasterboard fixings on the other 4 holes. Do the job nicely.

Advertisement