Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5.85gb onto an 8 gb data stick

Options
  • 23-04-2016 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭

Hi Hopefully this is the right place. And someone can help
    I have on my a laptop a home movie in mp4 format.
    The move is 46mins long and the properties say its 5.85GB.

I tried to put the film onto an 8gb data stick and the computer says the film is to large for the destination file system.
    I tried a 32gb data stick and its the same issue.
    Can someone explain whats wrong

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Your USB key is probably formatted as FAT32 which has a file size limit of about 3GB. If you format it as NTFS you should be able to copy it over (assuming you are using Windows). Otherwise you'll need to split the file into segments of less than 3GB.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭cichlid child

Thanks milltown will see if I can format the drive. I appreciate you quick reply

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭cichlid child

Miltown just to let you know that worked a treat. Thanks again

Personally I don't recommend NTFS on flash drives, the journalling on the file system risks wearing out the drive more quickly. exFAT was designed for this purpose so that would be my preferred choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

How does a flash drive with no moving parts wear out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Timfy

Despite having no moving parts, a USB flash drive and solid state hard drives can only handle a finite amount of read write cycles... The life expectancy of a USB Flash Drive can be measured by the number of write or erase cycles. USB flash drives can withstand between 10,000 to 100,000 write/erase cycles, depending on the memory technology used.

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Advertisement