Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cow injected with Norocillin accidentally put in tank - options?

Options
  • 23-04-2016 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi,
    Leg tag fell off this evening..milk went into tank. Withdrawal is 96 hours.
    Luckily its the first milking into the tank.
    Which option is the best:
    - bite the bullet & empty tank
    - inform the co-op
    - do nothing & maybe risk losing full tank

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭blackdog1

curioush wrote: »
    Hi,
    Leg tag fell off this evening..milk went into tank. Withdrawal is 96 hours.
    Luckily its the first milking into the tank.
    Which option is the best:
    - bite the bullet & empty tank
    - inform the co-op
    - do nothing & maybe risk losing full tank

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Ring your milk advisor and test tank but I'd say it's gone if she's injected less than 48 hrs. I had a cow test positive on noricillin after 5 days....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

blackdog1 wrote: »
    Ring your milk advisor and test tank but I'd say it's gone if she's injected less than 48 hrs. I had a cow test positive on noricillin after 5 days....

Ring your tanker driver and try to meet him at his first collection in the morning with a sample from the tank. He'll tell you fairly quickly how you're fixed. As in around five minutes. I feel your pain. We had to dump three milkings last summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 curioush

Thanks for the replies - looking into testing it now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

Thanks for the replies - looking into testing it now

Best put a note on outlet of tank in case lorry comes during the night, tanker here has come everyday for past 5 days topping up as volumes are lifting everywhere and loads are less predictable for them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭visatorro

Insurance should cover tank anyway. I'd always err on the site of caution tbh when antibiotics are evolved

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Same thing happened me a few weeks ago.
    Rang milk manager he told me to ring the guy who owns the milk lorries.
    Rang him and brought sample to his house and he got the sample tested next morning when starting the round. He had a machine on the lorry (not sure if every lorry has it) and it tested the sample and the result comes back in 3 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,527 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Do many people rely on leg tags, red tape and red spray here on any treated cows

• Registered Users Posts: 11,201 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Whatever u do don't chance as there's a fair chance sample will be positive .you will get stung for tanker of milk and reported to dept ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

What co-op are you supplying? Dairygold pay for half the value of dumped milk following a positive test, don't know if other co-ops are the same

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭einn32

whelan2 wrote: »
    Do many people rely on leg tags, red tape and red spray here on any treated cows

It's just red spray across the back of udder and the computer alrams too unless cow doesn't read. My last dairy job used red tape and spray plus visual alarms and vacuum wouldn't come on either without bypassing the alarm. Still doesn't prevent mess ups.

I'd ring milk manager and get it tested but sounds like dumping job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Let the first loss be your last loss
    You've probably done something by now but had I seen this earlier,I'd have suggested asking the milk manager who has a 3hr antibiotic kit(they're more common),test and dump if positive

Glanbia will fine for this and charge the supplier thousands for any milk in the tanker or silo that needs dumping aswell as the cost of dumping
    The latter will usually be covered by public liability insurance
    The department will be informed so a cross compliance will be triggered
    Lose lose lose so dump dump dump

• Registered Users Posts: 21 curioush

Made the co-op yesterday evening - somehow passed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Made the co-op yesterday evening - somehow passed.
    I did a one hour test on milk a few years back at drying off when I wasn't sure if a cow that was dry cow tubed had gone into the tank.

It passed.

It failed on collection (3 hour test) though but I was only liable for the loss of my own milk. 2/3 of the tanker was dumped.

Just keep an eye out in case something happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

I did a one hour test on milk a few years back at drying off when I wasn't sure if a cow that was dry cow tubed had gone into the tank.

It passed.

It failed on collection (3 hour test) though but I was only liable for the loss of my own milk. 2/3 of the tanker was dumped.

Just keep an eye out in case something happens.

Our own manager says the same to bring it in to Danone and they do the test inside as it's more sensitive than the snap test in trucks. Another thing, not 100% on this now but if milk fails and insurance covers it I think it won't cover again within 2 years

Advertisement