Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Census.

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Noo wrote: »
    Awh this takes me back! I'm not sure how the data is officially downloaded and analysed....but back in 2010 i had a copy of data from the 2006 census (the non identifying data which is made available, just the tick the box sections) given to me in excel! Thats 1.8 million rows of data on an excel sheet! Ridiculously frustrating to sift through on my laptop, crashing constantly.

So yes they do have the data on a fecking excel sheet!

=countif(v1:v180000,"=Jedi")

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

They gave it to you in .xls/.xlsx format? Seriously? Because I am sure they do not hold and process the data in that specific format. It was theoretically possible to export the three-million-product engineering database I used to work on in Excel format as well, but that was not its native format and we could never have used it if it had been. I would bet that they gave it to you in a format that just happened to be opened on your computer in Excel by default.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Maireadio

When are the findings of the 2016 census made public?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Maireadio wrote: »
    When are the findings of the 2016 census made public?

2116 I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    Not everyone received the form :eek: :confused:

No one on our street received them, we don't count :(

phone the cso to get one. not having one is no excuse for not filling it in:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

phone the cso to get one. not having one is no excuse for not filling it in:eek:

Kinda is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭Allinall

kneemos wrote: »
    Kinda is.

It's an excuse alright.

Won't stop you getting a fine though, if they decide to prosecute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

Allinall wrote: »
    They did not prosecute people like Haughey or Ahern over more serious things, so I doubt they are going to prosecute a whole street full of people who all never received census forms.
    I can envision some devout enumerators studiously going through all the forms and changing all the no religion to Catholic.
    I am sure stranger things have happened in this great little country.

maryishere wrote: »
    They did not prosecute people like Haughey or Ahern over more serious things, so I doubt they are going to prosecute a whole street full of people who all never received census forms.

I am sure stranger things have happened in this great little country.

Why would the CSO have prosecuted Haughey or Ahern?

Methinks you haven't a clue.

• Advertisement

I'll rephrase it for you so: "The state" did not prosecute people like Haughey or Ahern over more serious things, so I doubt "the state" are going to prosecute a whole street full of people who all never received census forms.

After the census in 2006, it appears only two people were prosecuted over the census forms, and received fines of €200.http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/up-to-20-face-court-over-census-refusal-26786342.html

maryishere wrote: »
    I'll rephrase it for you so: "The state" did not prosecute people like Haughey or Ahern over more serious things, so I doubt "the state" are going to prosecute a whole street full of people who all never received census forms.

After the census in 2006, it appears only two people were prosecuted over the census forms, and received fines of €200.http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/up-to-20-face-court-over-census-refusal-26786342.html

I fail to see the relevance of Haughey and Ahern. Also, the CSO are not the state.

I'm failing to see your point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

It's an excuse alright.

I think the cenusers would have to realise this, come and offer them a form and request at least once that they fill it in before prosecutions could be initiated :rolleyes::pac:

I fail to see the relevance of Haughey and Ahern. Also, the CSO are not the state.

I'm failing to see your point.

Go back to sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Do you have to return the form in person, I keep missing the collector due to work and want to just leave it outside my door for her to pick it up.

Xenji wrote: »
    Do you have to return the form in person, I keep missing the collector due to work and want to just leave it outside my door for her to pick it up.

If she left a card with her number, call her. Do you want your personal info on the doorstep?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

If she left a card with her number, call her. Do you want your personal info on the doorstep?

It is a 4 house apartment block that only I occupy at the moment and has a coded door, she can only call between certain hours, all of which coincide with me at work, she left the form under my door to start with, I have yet to see her.

Xenji wrote: »
    It is a 4 house apartment block that only I occupy at the moment and has a coded door, she can only call between certain hours, all of which coincide with me at work, she left the form under my door to start with, I have yet to see her.

Did she leave a card with a mobile number. ? If so call her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Just queried Question 14 (Do you speak Irish) with the enumerator, and even she said it's completely open to interpretation! Well do you speak Irish? Yes I do, but only a handful of off the shelf sentences, so then you do speak Irish. Yes I suppose I do.

Or do I?

Surely the question should ask 'Can you converse in Irish' as this would give a much clearer answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Maireadio wrote: »
    Incidentally, I was really surprised to read that just over 50% of weddings in Ireland in 2015 were Catholic weddings. I would have thought it would be higher, even with the increasing popularity of civil services.

The breakdown for 2015 was:

56.7% Roman Catholic
    28% Civil
    5.7% Humanist
    3.7% Spiritualist
    1.8% Church of Ireland
    4.1% Other religions

Source: www (dot) cso (dot) ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/mcp/marriagesandcivilpartnerships2015/

The Humanists only have about 10 celebrants who are turning LOADS of couples down due to being fully booked so I would wonder what the figures were like if there were more secular celebrants and if the civil celebrants worked at the weekend.

• Advertisement

The Humanists only have about 10 celebrants who are turning LOADS of couples down due to being fully booked so I would wonder what the figures were like if there were more secular celebrants and if the civil celebrants worked at the weekend.

If the HSE allowed registrars to work weekends and perform weddings outdoors or in venues other than those that pass their narrow rules, civil marriages would rocket up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

If the HSE allowed registrars to work weekends and perform weddings outdoors or in venues other than those that pass their narrow rules, civil marriages would rocket up.

Bit pointless having registrars that don't work weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

LordSutch wrote: »
    Just queried Question 14 (Do you speak Irish) with the enumerator, and even she said it's completely open to interpretation! Well do you speak Irish? Yes I do, but only a handful of off the shelf sentences, so then you do speak Irish. Yes I suppose I do.

Or do I?

Surely the question should ask 'Can you converse in Irish' as this would give a much clearer answer.

By that logic I speak French, German, Thai, Chinese and Irish.

Bit pointless having registrars that don't work weekends.

Civil servants dontcha know :P

I know though, most people want to get married on the weekend so they make registrars work office hours only.

Advertisement