Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drying a log / trunk for carving?

• 23-04-2016 10:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

I have a Spanish chestnut tree in my garden which has died - there was a very small amount of foliage last year but it has been ailing for a while. I want to carve the trunk into a long platter in time. The trunk is about 18 inches across. Ant tips for cutting it and air drying it? It's stil standing.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭imakebiodiesel

I use a lot of Spanish Chestnut and its a lovely wood to work with. however it is very prone to developing shakes ( cracks) as it dries out. If you are going to saw the trunk up into boards allow for a good amount of wastage at the ends. paint the ends of the boards with a gloss paint to prevent too rapid water loss.
    If you are not going to saw the trunk into boards I would suggest you either split or chainsaw the trunk into two halves length wise and then paint the cut surfaces and the ends to slow down drying, store the wood somewhere out of the sun but with good airflow,
    Its sounds like a lot of bother but its worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

TGD wrote: »
    I have a Spanish chestnut tree in my garden which has died - there was a very small amount of foliage last year but it has been ailing for a while. I want to carve the trunk into a long platter in time. The trunk is about 18 inches across. Ant tips for cutting it and air drying it? It's stil standing.

Its nice to plan but you have to get the tree down safely first.;) Tree surgeons do not come cheap. If you have the space and a chainsaw its not such a big job.
    You want to carve the whole trunk or convert it into planks ? Sawmills are not particularly expensive but getting the tree to them is a major hassle without the right equipment.

Advertisement