Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meaningful baby shower gift

Options
  • 23-04-2016 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭

My best friend is due her baby in 5 weeks. I have bought her items throughout her pregnancy and passed on a number of large pieces that I am finished with. She has decreed that I do not need to get her anything for her baby-shower next week.

I want to get her something really special as a gift but finances are stretched and I can't go mad. Can anyone recommend something "tokenistic" but meaningful for a very special friend around 30-50 euro please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

I bought a selection of books that I loved as a child (The Velveteen Rabbit, The Very Hungry Caterpillar, etc) and wrote a note in each explaining why. They'll last for years, I still have my copies. Seemed to go down well.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭fima

Perfect. It never even occured to me and I am a huge reading to children advocate. Thank you so much x

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

A few lasagne for freezer. Babysitting vouchers.
    You say you've given stuff already and money is tight. Maybe she is a good enough friend not to wish you yi be under financial stress.
    A nice hand cream.
    A nice top she'd like to able to wear after pregnancy.
    Nice pjs and gown.
    Earings

The kit to make s cast if the bump
    Foot mounding kit for baby
    Picture frame

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Books are a great idea
    The benji Bennett books are fab with a beautiful story behind them

http://adamscloud.com

Lisha wrote: »
    A few lasagne for freezer. Babysitting vouchers.
    You say you've given stuff already and money is tight. Maybe she is a good enough friend not to wish you yi be under financial stress.
    A nice hand cream.
    A nice top she'd like to able to wear after pregnancy.
    Nice pjs and gown.
    Earings

The kit to make s cast if the bump
    Foot mounding kit for baby
    Picture frame

Great ideas, thank you! She would definitely not expect a present but I really want to give her something special anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Books are a wonderful gift.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

My family organised a surprise baby shower and the theme was books. Everyone brought a book and wrote a message in it.
    My son is now 14 weeks and I love reading to him from his "library" and really look forward to him getting older to enjoy them more.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

My family organised a surprise baby shower and the theme was books. Everyone brought a book and wrote a message in it.
    My son is now 14 weeks and I love reading to him from his "library" and really look forward to him getting older to enjoy them more.

I have to say, I hate the concept of baby showers but this kind of theme for one is a lovely idea. I'm a reader from a family of them so I guess I'm biased when it comes to books and there is something lovely about sharing your childhood favourite book with a new arrival in the family.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

Yeah I hate the idea of baby showers. It's just another expense for people.

How about practical stuff - vests, Nappies etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

CaraMay wrote: »
    Yeah I hate the idea of baby showers. It's just another expense for people.

How about practical stuff - vests, Nappies etc

Baby showers wouldn't normally be my cup of tea but it was lovely and a chance to catch up with family friends

• Advertisement

Neyite wrote: »
    I have to say, I hate the concept of baby showers but this kind of theme for one is a lovely idea. I'm a reader from a family of them so I guess I'm biased when it comes to books and there is something lovely about sharing your childhood favourite book with a new arrival in the family.

They are quite contrived but I did have a surprise one thrown for me and it was a really lovely night. That was my first baby though, I wouldn't be open to another if I ever have another baby. I'm definitely going with the book idea, now just need to track down the right ones. I was given a Beatrix potter set and a winnie the pooh set when I was pregnant so I'm thinking I'll try get something like that.

Advertisement