Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend me some DA pads for hard clear coat

• 23-04-2016 10:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭

Hey chaps.

Over the years i've been using Menzerna pads and compounds on my BMWs, but find then very hard work with the DAS-6.

The clear coats on the 7 series (or probably all BMWs) seems to be very hard. I think you guys recommended microfiber pads before for a quicker cut.

I want to do a quick once over before the holidays in June, have 3000km ahead of me. Car hasn't been done since 2014, which made a massive difference:

IMG_17016_zps9fbbb4bd.jpg~original

So I have from previous jobs:

-A DAS-6
    -Shed loads of microfibers
    -Autoglym HD wax
    -Clay/alcohol

I want to keep the bill down, what do I need to get going?
    Speed never ends with perfect results, but i'd like to spend no more than 5 hours or so on the car, so maybe a decent hard pad/polish to get me 75% there and a quick finishing pad/polish once-over afterwards?

Thanks guys!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Is the DAS-6 a Pro or Regular model? A regular model won't have the cutting power really. I'd recommend Menzerna FG300 on a Microfibre or Wool Cutting disc/pad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Pretty sure it's the Pro, been a while since i've looked at it. I remember we paid extra for it over a standard package.

Thanks for the recommendation, looks like the FG300 is the business, have you used it yourself? Do wool pads cut faster than microfiber?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Pretty sure it's the Pro, been a while since i've looked at it. I remember we paid extra for it over a standard package.

Thanks for the recommendation, looks like the FG300 is the business, have you used it yourself? Do wool pads cut faster than microfiber?

Yeah the Wool would generally have more cutting power, think it's more suited to Rotaries but I believe MetzgerMeister has a set of Wool pads for his DA, I have Microfiber discs myself. I use FG300 all the time, I find it excellent, great on harder German paints!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭crasy dash

I found car pro fixer and a orange or yellow hex pad was effective on the paint on the boot of my a4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

CarPro Fixer on a Microfiber Pad and you'll get a decent cut. Unfortunately with a DA, speed of correction won't be on your side. Bit given that it looks to have gotten a good polish in 2014, and if you've been using good wash techniques then what you have to correct shouldnt be too heavy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

If you are really looking to up the speed up the job. CarPro Essence is worth considering. Look up its capability on YouTube.
    It polishes, hides remaining defects (glaze) and protects in one step. So in the step that you'd do one pass attemptin correction, you'll have achieved deep gloss and protection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

That's great info! You're right, there's just light swirls and some deeper marks since 2014 which I didn't get the first time round, but they're few and far between.

Advertisement