Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Bike stinks of petrol..

• 24-04-2016 12:44am

Hey,

Have an 07 fuel injected GSXR 600 that stinks of petrol when its started up. I didnt pay much attention to it , thought it might be running a bit rich but I smelled the engine cap this morning after letting it sit overnight and it absolutely reeks of fuel.

The oil level hasn't really raised so if there is petrol getting to it I dont think its a huge amount but the combination of the exhaust smell and the engine cap smell has me worried. Bit of white smoke on startup but its clear when it gets hot.

Anyone any ideas..

Im thinking injector or rings but maybe its normal for the oil to smell like fuel after a while? oil only changed about 300 km ago.

Is it normal for oil ever to smell like petrol, I haven't come across it ..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

My Bros was stinking of petrol there recently, but was wet around the carbs. Thought it was a gasket, €360 later (other stuff done too) I find it's the float valve..

Luckily with injection you might avoid this headache, fingers crossed it's an old fuel line or something! Sorry I can't be more helpful! :'(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Ok is the actual engine oil smelling?.

Are the spark plugs wet too?.

Ok is the actual engine oil smelling?.

Are the spark plugs wet too?.

Yeah its the actual engine oil that's smelling of fuel , the exhaust fumes also smell really rich when you start it until it gets hot.
    Replaced the spark plugs 300km ago and they were bone dry and fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Intake gasket, leaking fuel pressure regulator diaphragm, plugged or dripping injector, oil level too high, has it been dumped?

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    Intake gasket, leaking fuel pressure regulator diaphragm, plugged or dripping injector, oil level too high, has it been dumped?

Possibly, the bike has been dropped before on its side but its not the original engine, I don't think its been dropped with this engine in it but couldn't guarantee it

Oil level is correct if that helps at all. Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement