Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Calf problems

• 24-04-2016 1:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

Sorry if this is the wrong board to be posting this stuff. For the past year i've been having calf problems when running. Within a minute or two of starting to run, I get a pain in both my calves. After a bit I have to stop running due to the pain, even though fitness wise I can go on much longer. The pain usually goes within a few minutes of ending the run, but its fairly annoying only being able to run short distances. I've tight muscles all over my body and even though I stretch before I run could this just be the problem, or could it be something more serious like compartment syndrome? Any advice is appreciated as I dont really have the cash to see a physio or anything like that. Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭ja1986

Sorry if this is the wrong board to be posting this stuff. For the past year i've been having calf problems when running. Within a minute or two of starting to run, I get a pain in both my calves. After a bit I have to stop running due to the pain, even though fitness wise I can go on much longer. The pain usually goes within a few minutes of ending the run, but its fairly annoying only being able to run short distances. I've tight muscles all over my body and even though I stretch before I run could this just be the problem, or could it be something more serious like compartment syndrome? Any advice is appreciated as I dont really have the cash to see a physio or anything like that. Cheers

Have you tried different footwear ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

When I saw this first I thought you should've posted in the farming forum :)
    But seriously, have you had your running technique looked at? Are you running heel first then toe and not vice versa.
    Try the running forum too for an answer

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭IrelandDylan

Haha thankfully not DTP! Ah ive tried different footwear in the sense that it happens whether I use runners or football boots, but never had anything properly looked at. I dont think ive changed the way that I run though because I never had this problem before the last 12 months. Cheers for the replies

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

Iv been having trouble with my calfs the last 2 months. They start getting sore and if i continue to run both feet would start to go numb, stretching wasn't helping. The last 3 training sessions iv been massaging deep heat into the calfs before running and have had no problems. May not work but worth a try

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭IrelandDylan

Cheers Jeff, sounds exactly like myself so i'll give it a go anyways, cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,659 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

A physio isn't all that expensive. You should really consider going to one rather than throwing darts in the dark if it's an ongoing problem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

There's a running forum on boards - I'm sure plenty of them will have had similar problems and should be able to diagnose it.

Sounds like technique to me but I wouldn't be able to tell you exactly what to change to solve the problem. You might try foam-rolling for some simple relief.

Advertisement