Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get cheap brown bananas

Options
  • 24-04-2016 2:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Over-ripe bananas can be useful for banana bread and other things.

Anyone know where I can get a load cheaply?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Chris2048 wrote: »
    Over-ripe bananas can be useful for banana bread and other things.

Anyone know where I can get a load cheaply?

You don't say where you are. If dublin, Moore street dealers is the obvious answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Chris2048

Sorry, Yes, Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

You would be better asking in the Dublin City forum.
    These forums have foodies from all around the country & beyond.
    You'd have more luck getting info from locals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I don't think you'll get them cheaper just because they're brown. Many people, myself included, seek out the browner bananas when buying them because I think they taste nicer. They're hard enough to get as they're usually bought anyway before they get too brown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

No, Moore Street is where it's at. It's where I get 'em brown.

• Advertisement

Not many people do that though. Brown bananas are older, hence don't keep as long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

+1 for Moore Street traders. If you specifically want over ripe bananas they are the ladies to go to, and say to them that you prefer them. That way they will have less brown ones left to give to people who only want yella ones. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Not many people do that though. Brown bananas are older, hence don't keep as long.

Brown bananas do keep. How do you think they become brown!!!:cool::P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

There was a tip on Ireland am on tv3 to buy regular ones and freeze them for an hour and it turns them brown

My aim isn't to have brown bananas, normal bananas will eventually become brown. My aim is to have *cheap* bananas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Don't know about brown but all black looking ones are rotting Bananas so I steer clear. Disgusting really.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,968 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Five for a euro in my local shop. Yella though.

When going brown he gives them to me for 50c.

I prefer the brown speckled nanas. Much more taste, and plenty of potassium. Good for the nana bread too. Although I just either eat them, or whizz with Greek yogurt and a touch of vanilla sugar. Yum Yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,613 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

As an aside, if you want to speed up the ripening process, put the banana(s) in a brown paper bag and close it but not too tightly.

Putting an apple or tomato in with it might help as well.

Then ripening banana produces ethylene so the bag keeps that around the banana and promotes faster ripening. A ripening apple or tomato will also produce ethylene to again help the banana ripen

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    Don't know about brown but all black looking ones are rotting Bananas so I steer clear. Disgusting really.

A banana can be pretty dark and still safe, I believe the yeast gets to them first.

As an aside, if you want to speed up the ripening process, put the banana(s) in a brown paper bag and close it but not too tightly.

I was going to mash them, cook the skins for the pectin and add that to break them down faster, and possibly add a bit of yeast directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Vic_08

My aim isn't to have brown bananas, normal bananas will eventually become brown. My aim is to have *cheap* bananas.

You could always go through the bins behind supermarkets and get free bananas.

Advertisement