Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pulled over by a detective for reckless driving

Options
  • 24-04-2016 3:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I'll get straight to it, I was a complete idiot. I was driving along a road and pulled up the handbrake. The car came to a stop and spun slightly on the road. There was people behind me on the footpath. There was a small amount of smoke from the tires. I know what I did was idiotic and it was the first time I did it and the last.

I genuinely didn't know the car would slide as much as it did. I was showing off to my friend. it was 100% my fault and it was reckless

20 seconds after I drove on, an unmarked detective flashed his lights and told me to pull in. He asked for my licence, number and adress I am on a learners and he asked for my moms name as the car is in her name.

He talked to me for 5 minutes about how reckless and stupid I was and that if anyone was crossing the road I could have killed someone. I apologise multiple times and admitted I was a idiot and sincerely told him I will never do it again.

He said he should do for reckless driving. He said that he knows people in the graveyard for doing what i did. He said he will be watching me around my town for 6 months. I apologised again and shook his hand when he went back into his car and promised him I will never do anything like that again.

I ment every word. I was an idiot and I know whatever comes of this I deserve the consequences I could have killed myself and my friend in the car.

If anyone has any advice on what to expect will happen it would be greatly appreciated. Should I expect to pay a big fine or my mother finding out ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Reckless driving, driving without a license, quite probably driving without insurance.

You'd be lucky to get a fine and not a court date for those very very serious offences.

That said he may let you off, you won't know until you either contact him and ask or get a summons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

Both you and your mammy are going down. 25 to life is my bet

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Ultan11

Reckless driving, driving without a license, quite probably driving without insurance.

You'd be lucky to get a fine and not a court date for those very very serious offences.

That said he may let you off, you won't know until you either contact him and ask or get a summons.

I showed him my license and am fully insured. He did seem like a nice man and my friend said he knows him and he has a reputation for being sound.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

Quit with the infantile posting, you're entertaining no one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

There will be a couple of charges there, driving unaccompanied on a learner permit, dangerous driving, and possibly for having bald tires at this stage so I can't see the gard just letting that go. I'd be amazed if you didn't get a summons in the post.

• Advertisement

There will be a couple of charges there, driving unaccompanied on a learner permit, dangerous driving, so I can't see the gard just letting that go. I'd be amazed if you didn't get a summons in the post.

Does the fact he is a detective have anything to do with him following up? He didn't say a word about me being on a learners permit. He does have good reputation from what I have herd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Best confess too your mam ASAP as she will find out about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

In all seriousness, you're lucky it wasn't Traffic that caught you as there would be no wondering about will they or won't they. Can't say for definite if you will hear any more of this but hopefully the detective feels a stern word was enough.

There will be a couple of charges there, driving unaccompanied on a learner permit, dangerous driving, and possibly for having bald tires at this stage so I can't see the gard just letting that go. I'd be amazed if you didn't get a summons in the post.

He actually did look at the tires and said nothing, the tires are immaculate and like I said, it was the first and last time I'll ever pull up the handbrake brake again

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Best confess too your mam ASAP as she will find out about it

Why will she find out ? Yes it is her car but I am over 18 and have a licence (learners) and I committed the offence

• Advertisement

Ultan11 wrote: »
    I showed him my license and am fully insured. He did seem like a nice man and my friend said he knows him and he has a reputation for being sound.

You're not insured if you're driving unaccompanied.
    You don't have a valid licence if you're driving unaccompanied.

A detective is just a guard with a gun and a different job description. He's as likely to follow up as anyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Does the fact he is a detective have anything to do with him following up? He didn't say a word about me being on a learners permit. He does have good reputation from what I have herd

Did you see him writing any details down ? reg number or anything else ?, If not he might just let you off with it. You say that he will be watching you around for a few months so maybe he will leave it this time and keep an eye out for you and your car incase you do it again, and then he might charge you the second time.

Drive safely cause it only takes one mistake to injure a pedestrian or other road users.

You're not insured if you're driving unaccompanied.
    You don't have a valid licence if you're driving unaccompanied.

A detective is just a guard with a gun and a different job description. He's as likely to follow up as anyone else.

I have read before on this it is a gray area the insurance coverage and the fact I had a friend in the car (also learners) could make him think that I'm accompanied, he let me drive off aswell which tells me he either didn't cop the fact I am a learners or care

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Quit with the infantile posting, you're entertaining no one.
    Not strictly true. I laughed.

Did you see him writing any details down ? reg number or anything else ?, If not he might just let you off with it. You say that he will be watching you around for a few months so maybe he will leave it this time and keep an eye out for you and your car incase you do it again, and then he might charge you the second time.

Drive safely cause it only takes one mistake to injure a pedestrian or other road users.

Thanks, I saw him write down my Adress, name and phone number and my moms name. He did look at the registration but I don't know if he recorded it.

I won't be driving till I have last lesson done and test passed. I've learned my lesson the hard way

I have read before on this it is a gray area the insurance coverage and the fact I had a friend in the car (also learners) could make him think that I'm accompanied, he let me drive off aswell which tells me he either didn't cop the fact I am a learners or care

You're really grasping at straws!! Without a shadow of a doubt if you crash while unaccompanied the insurance company will only pay out third party. They look for any excuse and that is the perfect one.
    Regardless of guards or fines or anything else you should be grateful for your mothers trust in you and not take any chances in her car.

If he wrote down details you're getting a summons because all those things are major big deals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Sounds like you might get away with it. You might not but the guard seemed sound enough. Look we've all been doing a stupid thing or two at some stage. The uncertainty and the fear is kinda what you deserve now to be fair. But I'd say from what you tell us about how the guard behaved you might just get lucky. Just let it be a valuable lesson.

Boskowski wrote: »
    Sounds like you might get away with it. You might not but the guard seemed sound enough. Look we've all been doing a stupid thing or two at some stage. The uncertainty and the fear is kinda what you deserve now to be fair. But I'd say from what you tell us about how the guard behaved you might just get lucky. Just let it be a valuable lesson.

I abused her trust and the fact it isn't my car is even worse. I won't be driving untill I have a full license. Do you think it would be a good idea to ring the station and apologise to the detective and let him know again how sorry I am?

You're really grasping at straws!! Without a shadow of a doubt if you crash while unaccompanied the insurance company will only pay out third party. They look for any excuse and that is the perfect one.
    Regardless of guards or fines or anything else you should be grateful for your mothers trust in you and not take any chances in her car.

If he wrote down details you're getting a summons because all those things are major big deals.

The fact he said he will be watching me for 6 months leads me to belive he could just have taken my info to have it in the system if anything happens again with me. (It wont)

What's the worst I can expect if I do get a summons? I have no clue what this entails or if I have to pay a fine? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I abused her trust and the fact it isn't my car is even worse. I won't be driving untill I have a full license. Do you think it would be a good idea to ring the station and apologise to the detective and let him know again how sorry I am?

Na don't. You don't want to draw attention to it now. Leave it be. Like I said you kinda deserve to be sweating a bit over this one. You really sound like you regret it and I kinda hope he'll leave you off.

• Advertisement

Na don't. You don't want to draw attention to it now. Leave it be. Like I said you kinda deserve to be sweating a bit over this one. You really sound like you regret it and I kinda hope he'll leave you off.

Thanks, what's the worst I can expect and how do I go about putting myself in the best position to minimise the consequences. Do I need to start saving a few hundred euro for a fine ?

The fact he said he will be watching me for 6 months leads me to belive he could just have taken my info to have it in the system if anything happens again with me. (It wont)

What's the worst I can expect if I do get a summons? I have no clue what this entails or if I have to pay a fine? Thanks

A summons means a court appearance. It could mean a fine or losing your license. It's a recorded driving conviction if you're found guilty.

But you're clearly very very upset and hopefully this came across to the guard and he's giving you a chance.
    Personally I would call and apologise again and tell him it's given you a wake up call and let him know how seriously you're taking it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

Thanks, what's the worst I can expect and how do I go about putting myself in the best position to minimise the consequences. Do I need to start saving a few hundred euro for a fine ?

Worst case? Disqualified, points and a fine.

Just on this.....it's in his notebook he's not going to forget.

A summons means a court appearance. It could mean a fine or losing your license. It's a recorded driving conviction if you're found guilty.

But you're clearly very very upset and hopefully this came across to the guard and he's giving you a chance.
    Personally I would call and apologise again and tell him it's given you a wake up call and let him know how seriously you're taking it.

I'm really conflicted if I should, I was sincere when I spoke to him but I imagine anyone I'm my situation would be sincere (or pretend to be) and the detective knows this full well. Riding him could open up a can of worms though and if wants to follow up I don't know if it would make it worse or not

I'm really conflicted if I should, I was sincere when I spoke to him but I imagine anyone I'm my situation would be sincere (or pretend to be) and the detective knows this full well. Riding him could open up a can of worms though and if wants to follow up I don't know if it would make it worse or not

Ringing him??? Haha sorry!!

Like I said if he took your details it's in his notebook so it's not going to be forgotten, he will see it every time he reads through it.
    Those notebooks are kept you know!!

Sure it's up to yourself, at least if you call you'll know rather than sweating about it for months.

You might want to have a word with your mam before she gets a call from a detective to tell her what you were doing.

It's not the end of the world. Could have been for someone if you skidded and hit them though. Serious stuff fella, this driving lark. I believe you got a fright and that you're man enough to accept you were acting the maggot in a big way.

Tell your mam. A bollocking will follow but she'll see you're reaponsible enough to own up to the mistake and that she can trust you to tell her the truth. To your mam, that's what matters most.

If she knows, she'll let the Garda know you've done the right thing. If she gets a call from a Garda out of the blue and knows nothing, he'll form an opinion of you that might encourage him to apply for a court summons.

Ringing him??? Haha sorry!!

Like I said if he took your details it's in his notebook so it's not going to be forgotten, he will see it every time he reads through it.
    Those notebooks are kept you know!!

Sure it's up to yourself, at least if you call you'll know rather than sweating about it for months.

Yeah sorry it wouldn't let me edit the reply for some reason.
    Would he have not have taken my licence or given me something on the spot if he wanted to? I'm afraid that if I ring him it would just remind him of how retarded I was and if I rung him at the wrong time And he was in a bad mood that good just make things 100% worse

You might want to have a word with your mam before she gets a call from a detective to tell her what you were doing.

It's not the end of the world. Could have been for someone if you skidded and hit them though. Serious stuff fella, this driving lark. I believe you got a fright and that you're man enough to accept you were acting the maggot in a big way.

Tell your mam. A bollocking will follow but she'll see you're reaponsible enough to own up to the mistake and that she can trust you to tell her the truth. To your mam, that's what matters most.

If she knows, she'll let the Garda know you've done the right thing. If she gets a call from a Garda out of the blue and knows nothing, he'll form an opinion of you that might encourage him to apply for a court summons.

I don't understand why the gards would ring her? Like I said I'm over 18 and I was the one responsible. I don't want to tell her if I don't need to because I'll be in a world of **** ( I deserve it) regardless if I tell her I will not be driving untill I have my full licence again. True if the guard does ring her and she doesn't know it could make things worse but I'd rather spare her the stress from knowing how reckless I was if possible. Like I said I won't be driving untill I have my full licence so It's not like I'm trying to get away with things

• Advertisement

Yeah sorry it wouldn't let me edit the reply for some reason.
    Would he have not have taken my licence or given me something on the spot if he wanted to? I'm afraid that if I ring him it would just remind him of how retarded I was and if I rung him at the wrong time And he was in a bad mood that good just make things 100% worse

Careless driving carries a mandatory court appearance, 5 points, a court issued fine and possibly a ban on conviction. There's nothing for him to give you 'on the spot'.

Don't stick your head in the sand. Be proactive and get your mam to speak with him. She can reassure him you're a good lad, told her right away and that she's disciplining you already/more lessons/no car keys/visit to Rehab to slap you with some common sense cop on etc.

Advertisement