Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pulled over by a detective for reckless driving

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Ultan11 wrote: »
    Yeah sorry it wouldn't let me edit the reply for some reason.
    Would he have not have taken my licence or given me something on the spot if he wanted to? I'm afraid that if I ring him it would just remind him of how retarded I was and if I rung him at the wrong time And he was in a bad mood that good just make things 100% worse

No they don't take your licence or give you anything on the spot.

Like I've said it'll come through the post in a few months.

Calling and apologising for wasting his time and letting him know you have realised how stupid you were isn't gonna annoy him. Realistically it looks like you are being mature and taking responsibility for your actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Ultan11

Careless driving carries a mandatory court appearance, 5 points, a court issued fine and possibly a ban on conviction. There's nothing for him to give you 'on the spot'.

Don't stick your head in the sand. Be proactive and get your mam to speak with him. She can reassure him you're a good lad, told her right away and that she's disciplining you already/more lessons/no car keys/visit to Rehab to slap you with some common sense cop on etc.

Thanks for the reply
    He said that he should do for reckless driving. He said that he will be watching me for 6 months. If he was/is going to follow up would he not have indicated that he is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

It's your mams car and she is the owner, so it's quite possible he will call her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

Ultan11 wrote: »
    I don't understand why the gards would ring her? Like I said I'm over 18 and I was the one responsible. I don't want to tell her if I don't need to because I'll be in a world of **** ( I deserve it) regardless if I tell her I will not be driving untill I have my full licence again. True if the guard does ring her and she doesn't know it could make things worse but I'd rather spare her the stress from knowing how reckless I was if possible. Like I said I won't be driving untill I have my full licence so It's not like I'm trying to get away with things

You ARE trying to get away with things.

He took your details and the details of HER car.

You either sit and wait for a court summons, which she WILL find out about, meaning it's too late for her to help save you from that experience and a driving conviction (wait 'til you see how much trouble you'll be in with her then!) or you tell her and let her be a responsible mother with a responsible son who had a lapse in otherwise demonstrably good judgement and behaviour.

The first thing that Garda will do is look up your address and your mothers phone number on file (car reg), check it's insured/NCT'd/taxed and then do one of two things;

Call your mam for a chat if he was inclined to believe you and wants to know it's being addressed at home

Apply for a court date if he isn't convinced.

He won't forget about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

IMO, he's let you off with a warning, when he said he should do you for dangerous driving would suggest he's not gonna take it any further. There is a chance I'm wrong but telling your mam won't really change the out come if he takes it further. So keep stum and recognise a break when you get one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

Hes probably letting you off but youd never know. Could be 6 months before a summons comes thru and that's a long time to be worrying about it.
    Id go home and tell your mum what happened. Yes she will freak, yes she will probably confiscate the car for a while but sh1t happens. Ask her to ring the detective and tell him how worried you are and find out what hes gonna do.
    A fone call wont change his mind, if your getting done for it then fine. If hes letting you off then you will know and wont be worrying about it for the next 6 months.
    Theres also a chance he might ring your mum anyway to tell her. It IS her business, its her car that could have been crashed. Its her son that could have been killed and its her insurance that will rocket if you have an accident as id imagine your insured under her policy.
    Tell her and get her to ring and take your medicine, whatever it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Everlong1

IMO, he's let you off with a warning, when he said he should do you for dangerous driving would suggest he's not gonna take it any further. There is a chance I'm wrong but telling your mam won't really change the out come if he takes it further. So keep stum and recognise a break when you get one.

Ultan, ignore this poster and TELL YOUR MUM. This is the best compromise solution. You ringing the detective will achieve nothing as he’ll know full well that you’re only trying to suss out how far he’s going to go with it. It sounds to me like he’s a decent man and is satisfied that he’s put the fear of God into you. He WILL be keeping an eye out for you in the future but if you keep your nose clean then you should be ok. But keeping it from your Mum is a disaster waiting to happen. This detective might run into her around the town some day and have a word with her himself. You said there were people on the footpath who saw you – how did the detective find you on the road in the first place by the way? Whoever reported you might gossip it around the town and your Mum might hear it that way. Your Mum will be upset when you tell her but she will also be happy that you told her and will have more good advice on the outcome re the detective. At the end of the day, your relationship with your Mum is the most important thing here.

Advertisement